"We invented Jesus Christ" | Page 3 | Vital Football

"We invented Jesus Christ"

kefkat - 11/10/2013 11:46

What some people will do for there moment of fame :83:

Years and years of intense study and research so easily dismissed then? :83:

Plenty of proof Christ existed outside of The Bible in many various books. I haven't got the listing to hand, however, if I think on I will post them later..

Please do, I have seen much reference to a person named Jesus, but actual proof that "Christ" existed, should be interesting.

Evidence outside The New Testament about Jesus includes in Tacitus & Suetonius, Roman historians. Josephus Jewish historian.

People generally don't sneer at writings outside The Bible, about Jesus, yet do in The Bible. No that isn't a pop at anyone. It is just a fact I have written with my theology notes.

Herodotus, Thucydides, Tacitus, Caesar's Gaelic War and Livy's Roman History also shows evidence of Jesus in the writings.

Plus then you have 5,000 + copies of Greek writings, 10,000 Latin and 9,300 other types of The New Testament.

All of these aren't just thrown into a book without being judged and studied. Theology masters have spent many hundreds of years studying, cross referencing and checking what is written in The Bible/ Christian theology and still are.

Every version of The Bible is to bring the language up to date from KJV to The NIV. depends which type you like to read. Many versions also checked and studied have meditations and life connections in.

The Bible: 1 of the most controversial books ever written yet is studied and theology degrees being obtained to master in this area year after year.

Then of-course we have the Dead sea scrolls and other works to add to the various proofs in The O.T and N.T.

Saying that does not mean I take The Bible literally in all it's stories and timescales because I don't.

To believe in God or whatever your choice of God is to be at it's core to be in a relationship and to thine own self be true

I guess God could always send him back to finally prove things and maybe try to improve what he created?

Just a thought, not sure why the delay really.

The Fear - 12/10/2013 18:48

I guess God could always send him back to finally prove things and maybe try to improve what he created?

Don't you know how busy he is?????

The Fear - 12/10/2013 18:48

To quote 2 Peter 3:8 'A day is a thousand years, and a thousand years a day' :14:

Some boffin once worked out that means our lives last about 20 seconds in God's time.

I need words with God about this: It sure has hell hasn't felt like it in the dark years

Aye, another easy bible cop out and a pathetic one at that.

Sorry, he's an absent landlord, his rent is too high and the conditions are appalling.

:17:

The Fear - 12/10/2013 20:13

Aye, another easy bible cop out and a pathetic one at that.

Sorry, he's an absent landlord, his rent is too high and the conditions are appalling.

:17:

Yup I tell God that regularly when I am in a mood with him :17:

Whilst an interesting hypothesis, it doesn't explain everything. For example, without Paul Christianity would have faded away to nothing, as many other Cults did at the time. That implies that if the Romans did want to put Christ forward as the new Messiah, then they didn't do a very good job. JC was just one of many at the time who claimed the role.

kefkat - 11/10/2013 17:52

Villan Of The North - 11/10/2013 17:12

James06 - 11/10/2013 15:48

This begs the question:

What did the romans actually do for us?!!

:1: :1: :1: :1:

And hear we go.........

Granted, granted, they gave us the roads but apart from that, what did the Romans ever do for us?

They also gave us Hadrian wall. I mean what would we do without it?. I mean how else would we keep the Scots out :114:

Yeah but apart from the roads, and Hadrians Wall.....

what have they actually done for us?!!

All right, but apart from the roads, hadrians wall, bath, buxton, sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, fresh water systems and public health,

what have the Romans ever done for us?

This is a nice story of the Judean Date Palm tree, mentioned in the OT and thought to just be legend until recently. In the 1960's, archeologists unearthed a small stockpile of seeds but they were just kept in a drawer for over 40 years. Here's the story below, dont you just love the complexity of life?

Sorry its got little to do about Jesus!
----------------

For thousands of years, Judean date palm trees were one of the most recognizable and welcome sights for people living in the Middle East -- widely cultivated throughout the region for their sweet fruit, and for the cool shade they offered from the blazing desert sun.

From its founding some 3,000 years ago, to the dawn of the Common Era, the trees became a staple crop in the Kingdom of Judea, even garnering several shout-outs in the Old Testament. Judean palm trees would come to serve as one of the kingdom's chief symbols of good fortune; King David named his daughter, Tamar, after the plant's name in Hebrew.

By the time the Roman Empire sought to usurp control of the kingdom in 70 AD, broad forests of these trees flourished as a staple crop to the Judean economy -- a fact that made them a prime resource for the invading army to destroy. Sadly, around the year 500 AD, the once plentiful palm had been completely wiped out, driven to extinction for the sake of conquest.

In the centuries that followed, first-hand knowledge of the tree slipped from memory to legend. Up until recently, that is.

During excavations at the site of Herod the Great's palace in Israel in the early 1960's, archeologists unearthed a small stockpile of seeds stowed in a clay jar dating back 2,000 years. For the next four decades, the ancient seeds were kept in a drawer at Tel Aviv's Bar-Ilan University. But then, in 2005, botanical researcher Elaine Solowey decided to plant one and see what, if anything, would sprout.

"I assumed the food in the seed would be no good after all that time. How could it be?" said Solowey. She was soon proven wrong.

Amazingly, the multi-millennial seed did indeed sprout -- producing a sapling no one had seen in centuries, becoming the oldest known tree seed to germinate.

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/extinct-tree-grows-anew-after-archaeologists-dig-ancient-seed-stockpile.html

http://www.amazon.com/The-Christ-John-E-Remsberg/dp/0879759240

If you can get hold of a copy of this book, then it is worth the read. Basically, he looks at 42 historians from the time of Christ, all documenting the region, who fail to mention JC. Only one, Josephus does, and there is evidence to suggest this has been tampered with. He points to the only evidence being texts written by Christians, and that is Paul hadn't been around to promote the faith, we would never have heard of Christ.

All this from a book first published in 1909.

If we accept the point that the Jesus story as we know it isn't true, where does that leave Christianity? A whole faith, believed by billions, all made up? Paul must have been some PR Guru!!!

I'm sure JC would be extremely proud of his effect on the World since his death:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24532694

Glenda Xiomara Cruz was crippled by abdominal pain and heavy bleeding in the early hours of 30 October 2012. The 19-year-old from Puerto El Triunfo, eastern El Salvador, went to the nearest public hospital where doctors said she had lost her baby.

After two emergency operations and three weeks in hospital she was moved to Ilopango women's prison on the outskirts of the capital San Salvador. Then last month she was sentenced to 10 years in jail, the judge ruling that she should have saved the baby's life.

But the government has made no attempt to repeal or relax the law since coming to power in 2009, as it remains popular with large parts of the conservative population, who revere the Church and pro-life religious groups such as Si a la Vida (Yes to Life).