We DO NOT want another Fulham situation... | Page 2 | Vital Football

We DO NOT want another Fulham situation...

Has anyone else been in a status of suspended denial until now? Earlier on in the season, I thought we had a chance of automatic promotion and as that faded (before re-emerging to taunt us in the run in), I reconciled myself to our fate as play-off contenders. Beating Sunderland was a pressure boil burst and the release of tension is a wave I have ridden until this evening. I am now at the point where reality is setting around my feet. We are, potentially, only 90 minutes away from a return to the second tier of English football.

In response, I find myself checking the usual sources for news that will shape my view of what will happen on Sunday. And there isn't any. No 'mystery illness' striking down the Blackpool players. No 'imminent financial collapse' of our opponents. No 'everyone is really clear that Blackpool have already achieved their goals and will only be turning up for a kick-around'.

It seems that it is a finely balanced contest, which could go either way, and that there are no guarantees about how the scales will tip.

And this matters because it matters so much.

The QF defeat against Arsenal was the inevitable happening later than expected. The League 2 play-off defeat was an early opportunity glossed over by the EFL win. The EFL win wouldn't have have been too hard to swallow if it hadn't happened; it was a day out, Lincoln's first appearance at Wembley and we still had a shout at the play-offs. Last season was a dead rubber, but a promising renewal of the brand under MAP.

This is different. This could be a once in a generation opportunity (I know it is twice in a lifetime for many of us, but that only emphasises the distance between them) to reach heights that only a few of us have seen Lincoln play at before. It really is the biggest game since Fulham in 1982, but the prize available makes it bigger still.

I would argue that it is the biggest game in the history of Lincoln City Football Club. It is a game we can win and a game we can lose. The coin is in the air and who knows where it will fall.

I am getting tenser by the hour. Nervous. Exhilarated. Frustrated at the down time.

For a change, it is great that we are here, but it isn't enough. We have to win. HAVE TO. For crying out loud, we have been the epitome of the lower league club, bubbling about in the fourth tier of English football, surviving on the memory of a 45 year old success as Division 4 Champions.

Now we are not. Now we are Crewe. We are Shrewsbury. We are Grimsby ffs. Smaller clubs stretching themselves to cling on in the second tier long beyond when they should have fallen away. We have the potential to emulate the yo-yo Peterboroughs and Rotherhams. We can splash around in the big pool for the first time in 60 years.

I was going to apologise for the introspection. For the Kerouac spewing. But I shouldn't. We shouldn't need to apologise for anything Lincoln.

We are Lincoln. We are Lincoln and we can win this. We are Lincoln and we will win this.

Here endeth the lesson.

Last edited:
Was 9 in 1982, but can remember my mum telling me we'd only managed a draw on the way to school the following morning and that we needed Chester to beat Carlisle.
Remember being so upset we'd missed out.
Now in 40th season we're again 90 minutes from the second tier of English football.
This will be the first season since 1980/81 when I won't have been to a single game, bloody covid.

It really is such a huge day ahead for us.
Mega scary.

Has anyone else been in a status of suspended denial until now? Earlier on in the season, I thought we had a chance of automatic promotion and as that faded (before re-emerging to taunt us in the run in), I reconciled myself to our fate as play-off contenders. Beating Sunderland was a pressure boil burst and the release of tension is a wave I have ridden until this evening. I am now at the point where reality is setting around my feet. We are, potentially, only 90 minutes away from a return to the second tier of English football.

In response, I find myself checking the usual sources for news that will shape my view of what will happen on Sunday. And there isn't any. No 'mystery illness' striking down the Blackpool players. No 'imminent financial collapse' of our opponents. No 'everyone is really clear that Blackpool have already achieved their goals and will only be turning up for a kick-around'.

It seems that it is a finely balanced contest, which could go either way, and that there are no guarantees about how the scales will tip.

The QF against Arsenal was the inevitable happening later than expected. The League 2 play-off defeat was an early opportunity glossed over by the EFL win. The EFL win wouldn't have have been too hard to swallow, it was a day out, Lincoln's first appearance at Wembley and we still had a shout at the play-offs. Last season was a dead rubber, but a promising renewal of the brand under MAP.

This is different. This could be a once in a generation opportunity (I know it is twice in a lifetime for many of us, but that only emphasises the distance between them) to reach heights that only a few of us have seen us play at before. It really is the biggest game since Fulham in 1982, but the prize available makes it bigger still.

I would argue that it is the biggest game in the history of Lincoln City Football Club. It is a game we can win and a game we can lose. The coin is in the air and who knows where it will fall.

I am getting tenser by the hour. Nervous. Exhilarated. Frustrated at the down time.

For a change, it is great that we are here, but it isn't enough. We have to win. HAVE TO. For crying out loud, we have been the epitome of the lower league club, bubbling about in the fourth tier of English football, surviving on the memory of a 45 year old success as Division 4 Champions.

Now we are not. Now we are Crewe. We are Shrewsbury. We are Grimsby fffs. We have the potential to emulate the yo-yo Peterboroughs and Rotherhams. We can play in the big pool for the first time in 60 years.

I was going to apologise for the introspection. For the Kerouac spewing. But I shouldn't. We shouldn't need to apologise for anything Lincoln.

We are Lincoln. We are Lincoln and we can win this. We are Lincoln and we will win this.

Here undeath the lesson.
Lets hope we call heads and it is a double headed coin

Well we could do another 'Fulham situation' and wait for another 40 years time but I won't be around to see it :grinning:

When Murph's fantastic team just missed out back then, I certainly didn't think I'd be waiting another 40 years. Equally, in 2016 I didn't think I'd only be waiting another 5 years, for slightly different reasons!

It’s in our hands. It’s a one-off winner-takes-all between two evenly matched teams. We can’t afford to not turn up for 45 minutes again. My main concern is a repeat of Bournemouth in our first play-off final outing. Having drawn with them at home and shortly before the playoffs beating them at their place, we changed our game plan entirely for the final and lost heavily. We’re better placed this time around, but hope that we don’t overthink tactics, or throw caution to the wind and loosen the shackles too much. We can hurt Blackpool, we’ve proven that, but they can also hurt us, so we just need to believe in ourselves, stick to the plan, and whatever the outcome it’s been one hell of a ride.

The QF against Arsenal was the inevitable happening later than expected. The League 2 play-off defeat was an early opportunity glossed over by the EFL win. The EFL win wouldn't have have been too hard to swallow, it was a day out, Lincoln's first appearance at Wembley and we still had a shout at the play-offs. Last season was a dead rubber, but a promising renewal of the brand under MAP.

This is different. This could be a once in a generation opportunity (I know it is twice in a lifetime for many of us, but that only emphasises the distance between them) to reach heights that only a few of us have seen us play at before. It really is the biggest game since Fulham in 1982, but the prize available makes it bigger still.

Now we are not. Now we are Crewe. We are Shrewsbury. We are Grimsby fffs. We have the potential to emulate the yo-yo Peterboroughs and Rotherhams. We can play in the big pool for the first time in 60 years.

Here undeath the lesson.

Bloody hell, I was feeling alright expecting to enjoy the inevitable failure and sense that no matter what it's been a great season. And then I went ahead and read your post Cherryexile.

Now I'm a walking bag of nerves starting to believe once more. Thanks a lot.:wack::wack::wack:

Up the Imps - we can do it.:grinning::grinning::grinning:

I wholeheartedly agree with you that there is a lot of us that have only dreamt of us being in the position to get us promoted to the 2nd division.
When you think that in the last 10 years we have had 6 seasons in the National League (5 of which were bottom half finishes). In the last 5 seasons we have had an FA Cup QF, National League Champs, Checkatrade Trophy winners, League 2 Champs and now we are back at Wembley for the 2nd time in our history only 90 mins away from the Championship.
It feels at times that we are watching someone play Championship Manager and taking us through the leagues.

That will be @SAToffeeImp then

I think Lincoln v Wycombe in 1988 was arguably as important but the expectation then was of a relatively straightforward win. It is the real uncertainty about Sunday given two fairly equal teams that makes this nerve racking.

Had my once in a lifetime brush with the law that night at Craven Cottage. Along with many other imps I was singing at the top of my voice Macdonalds a walker as he strode on to the pitch before the match. ( I do have a particularly loud voice , particularly when following the imps) This after he had been bad mouthing us as a club in the local and national press. A couple of bobbies decided to make an example of me and I was frogmarched to a police hut where they questioned me for what seemed like ages and threatened to arrest me . They then threw me out and told me never to darken the old ground again. Even though I was a poor student at the time, I used a separate entrance and paid to get back in again. The only time in my whole life I had paid twice to watch a football game.

The difference is that this opportunity does not feel like a once in blue moon stab at succes for me .It feels like we have momentum and if we experience failure during Sunday we will just go at again in a stronger position next season .
We do have momentum, with a structure and unity of purpose in the club which it's never had before.

A few on here have commented that we are ahead of plan, that promotion this season would be preamature and it would be better to achieve it next season. To my mind that's dangerous thinking likely to end in disappointment and acrimony. There will be strong teams in L1 next year, a few 'sleeping giants' gradually getting into a position where they can compete for promotion rather than expect it to fall in their lap.

We would be wise to guard against a similar attitude, amongst supporters if not the management and board.

We do have momentum, with a structure and unity of purpose in the club which it's never had before.

A few on here have commented that we are ahead of plan, that promotion this season would be preamature and it would be better to achieve it next season. To my mind that's dangerous thinking likely to end in disappointment and acrimony. There will be strong teams in L1 next year, a few 'sleeping giants' gradually getting into a position where they can compete for promotion rather than expect it to fall in their lap.

We would be wise to guard against a similar attitude, amongst supporters if not the management and board.
If the chance is there, we MUST take it no matter what. We don’t want to be waiting 39 years for another opportunity 🥺

Had my once in a lifetime brush with the law that night at Craven Cottage. Along with many other imps I was singing at the top of my voice Macdonalds a walker as he strode on to the pitch before the match. ( I do have a particularly loud voice , particularly when following the imps) This after he had been bad mouthing us as a club in the local and national press. A couple of bobbies decided to make an example of me and I was frogmarched to a police hut where they questioned me for what seemed like ages and threatened to arrest me . They then threw me out and told me never to darken the old ground again. Even though I was a poor student at the time, I used a separate entrance and paid to get back in again. The only time in my whole life I had paid twice to watch a football game.
Hopefully you will get the chance next season!

Whilst part of me thinks this is probably the biggest chance we will have to reach the Championship in the next 10 years or so due to how much the other teams have been affected by various factors this season.

Id also like to think that this could be the start of a period in which we are continually challenging at this level (L1) and establish ourselves as contenders every season.

Tony Harrington appointed referee for the game, basically a championship referee, but did our game against Liverpool in the league cup.

I am surprised that all three games aren’t given to premier league match officials as they are supposed to be the best in England only the Championship game has one.

Bobby Madley got the league two game, a really good referee.

I said to him once “I remember you breaking your leg at Port Vale”, he replied along the lines of that makes a change, I thought you were going to mention Fulham.
I was at that game, it was in the FA Cup ... a young Mark Bright netted for them. Didn't we play in their tangerine away kit?

Magpie arsehole.

I bumped into him on Kings Cross station many moons ago, had a brief chat and he reckoned he was only joking about The Imps back then, grinning .... I just laughed and said no worries and mentioned that I'd got my own personal revenge when City stuffed Huddersfield 10-1 ... soon wiped the smile off his face :lol:

Was at the game as a young 16 year old. remember listening to the results on the way back in our coach with the smashed out windows, feeling utterly dejected, and bloody freezing cold. Had enough of falling at the last hurdle, lets bloody well go out and go up!!