We are family | Vital Football

We are family

Bluedub

Alert Team
How do fans of Melbourne City, New York City FC and Girona feel about being part of the City Football Group? It’s been something of a dysfunctional family so far, as Stephen Tudor found out…

Imagine supporting a club all of your life when suddenly rumours begin to circulate about a takeover.

https://thesetpieces.com/features/city-football-group-family-affair/

I thought so Rising. It's a question KCT has posed on here previously so it should be of interest to him too.

I personally keep an eye on NYCFC results and have maybe watched them 5 times since they have formed. I find some of their fans animosity towards the people who set the club up a bit weird.

I've seen just one Melbourne game since they came under the CFG umbrella.

But with Girona, it's different somehow, I've already watched 3 of their games this season and find myself properly rooting for them.

Yes, I've kept up my interest with what's going on at NYFC and Melbourne and now find I'm checking up on Girona too.

I look out for the nycfc results and watch some of their games when I remember to record them nd there’s is no clash on the sky box.

I haven’t followed Melbourne or Girona

I keep a glancing eye on Melbourne City, but the problem is the standard of football in the A league for me. As for the rest have never watched a game. Has it been good for all the clubs involved, I think so, whats not to like about being part of a large network who are minted.

If Melbourne City are on TV and I happen to catch them then I'll watch, but like JK the standard makes it hard viewing. I do watch if Girona are on and enjoy rooting for them. NYC to me don't ring any bells although it's good if they win.

Clarification, please, my Aussie pals. Although having led a somewhat sheltered life, I do know what fanny is here in the UK, but how is it different in Aus/US. Also, what does rooting mean in Aus. I thank you in anticipation.

I feel maybe this is a can of worms I should not have opened, so I withdraw my inquiry.
:003:

Imagine that in a parallel universe Paul Dickov hadn't scored 'that' goal and we'd struggled to get out of that division and it was only now that we'd made it to the promised land of the premier League. Now imagine that the money hadn't come in so Real Madrid or AC Milan (or whoever) had bought a major shareholding and were using us to give experience to their youth team players before either recalling them or selling them on. Imagine if we had to change our kit to all white (ok, red & black stripes would be dreadful but not quite the end of the world).

Your club is what/all you identify with, I struggle with the term 'owners' even when you have such apparently good ones as we do let alone being subservient to another club - there are no 'families' in this game, just your club versus the world.

I get where you're coming from KCT but can you really call it subservience when the club's in question, and by extension the fans, are gaining so much from it?

kennyclementstache - 5/10/2017 21:57

Imagine that in a parallel universe Paul Dickov hadn't scored 'that' goal and we'd struggled to get out of that division and it was only now that we'd made it to the promised land of the premier League. Now imagine that the money hadn't come in so Real Madrid or AC Milan (or whoever) had bought a major shareholding and were using us to give experience to their youth team players before either recalling them or selling them on. Imagine if we had to change our kit to all white (ok, red & black stripes would be dreadful but not quite the end of the world).

Your club is what/all you identify with, I struggle with the term 'owners' even when you have such apparently good ones as we do let alone being subservient to another club - there are no 'families' in this game, just your club versus the world.

You own your house I assume, you make alterations. Repairs, furniture , have utilities water gas electric, all of which you pay, no one else is responsible for paying your bills.

HRH Mansour, owns the club, he pays all the bills that come in, the property makes money by allowing people e.g. Fans to purchase goods just like a shop, but in the end he owns it and he can sell it.

This is the best thing ever that has happened not for City, but the fans that follow the club with all their hearts and have endured the downs over most of my lifetime, I don't have that problem you do, the amount of money spent that people complain about is distributed back in to the game, what annoys me is the fact that they continually disrespect City, even though we have no debt, like other clubs continue to amass, clubs who spend multi millions on players rather than pay their debts with it.

So I prefer an owner who is responsible , has no debts, brings jobs and redevelopment to an area of Manchester that was previously run down, unlike their rivals 2 miles down the road who appear to have done nothing but line their own pockets, but still have massive debts.

I love our owner :022:

The history of our club is littered with the wreckage of past owners or Chairmen who either through incompetence, sheer hubris or questionable ethics nearly destroyed Manchester City F.C.

Peter Swales - whose desperate attempts in trying to compete caused him to overspend on players as he felt breaking transfer records was an achievement in itself; the dangerous waters City stepped into with Thaksin Shinawatra; the valiant attempt by former City legend Frannie Lee whose genuine efforts on former playing colleagues with limited managerial competence were costly in terms of league position and the reputation of the club in how it treated (aka sacked) some of his former team mates; times when John Warddle had to personally borrow money to pay wages at the Club..........

Our club has a long and rich history but I think many would struggle to find a period since the formation of Manchester City F.C. when it has been better run, has been on a more stable financial footing and facing a brighter future. The world of football has changed and evolved and forever in my mind are my thoughts at 0-2 down against Gillingham and the footballing abyss was opening beneath the club’s feet. I genuinely felt that if we had lost that final the club’s would struggle to ever get back to the top flight and would have become not so much a ‘sleeping giant’ but just a ‘has been’, a club with a past but a very, very limited future.

Every club has to be owned by someone and our situation is preferable IMO to many others who are run on the never, never ‘financial model’ which has done so much harm in the larger picture across the world - credit and debt. I do understand and can appreciate the feelings of the other clubs within the growing CFG ‘family’ but at the same time there is nothing which fundamentally alters their love for their clubs.......unless they would rather see them either never exist (NYCFC), fail or struggle. As a fan of a club that has nearly failed and as certainly struggled over the years I certainly much prefer the current state of affairs. Maybe they should consider the alternatives.

Very well put, Buzz and Skoorb.
:001: :001: :001:
I can't put my feelings into words like you do and they sum them up perfectly.
:005: