We are already safe | Page 2 | Vital Football

We are already safe

Would be good to see some of the more local teams survive at the expense of some of the northern teams, especially seeing as League 2's promotion candidates are for the most part not particularly local. Also likely to lose Luton and potentially Portsmouth and/or Charlton.

Bradford, Rochdale, Scunthorpe and Accrington to go down? And Rotherham to escape the Championship relegation zone at the expense of Millwall, QPR or Reading.

As you say, madrid, would be good, for Gills fans, to see more local teams stay in L1, but, I fear that the prognosis is more likely tilted in the opposite direction. Gills have had several seasons of being geographically disadvantaged, could well be another, more severe, one coming up.

Championship: coming down - Ipswich, which is the only positive for Gills. Then, Bolton, for sure; and either Rotherham or, IMO, Wigan - who have a very difficult end of season schedule.

L1 Upward: One southern club, at least (Luton) and a fair possibility of losing another two - Pompey & Charlton.

L1 Downward: Bradford, deffo. But keep a close eye on Wimbledon and nose-diving Southend and Wycombe. Rochdale may escape at their expense.

L2 Upward: Lincoln, then probably, three from the following four - Mansfield, MK Dons, Bury & Tranmere.

We`ll soon see how it all unfolds but, a net increase in mileage seems more likely than a net decrease !

Glad to see Lincoln looking strong to come up. Not only did I back them at the start of the season but I work in Lincoln a fair bit and got a soft spot for the city. Nice place for a few drinks (if you go up steep hill into the Cathedral quarter).

Glad to see Lincoln looking strong to come up. Not only did I back them at the start of the season but I work in Lincoln a fair bit and got a soft spot for the city. Nice place for a few drinks (if you go up steep hill into the Cathedral quarter).
At least you can roll down the hill after a few.

Its all down hill from the top.

Beautiful city though and hopefully the travelling fans will take time to have a look as its not so pretty around the ground.
Good Greek taverna down in the flat part - or at least there used to be.

Hope after we have secured safety the Wombles stay up and the Plastics don't come up.

I'd quite like Millwall to come down but they have a game in hand over the teams around them
I'd absolutely love Millwall to come down (living in 'wall territory). So many of their fans are such w#nkers and astonishingly racist. They have been going apeshit at their manager and seem to think they should be in the top six. Deluded.

Unfortunately I think they will escape.

Gills 58 - Agree with some much of what you say, but disagree with you about Millwall supporters, most are OK. Would love to see them come down, but it's unlikely.

Its out of GFC's hands, we're safe! If you assume we lose all our games, there are not four teams that can overtake us because they are all taking points off each other to do that - its something called mathematics!

There must be some kind of mistake because as things stand we are only two points above the bottom four with 3.5 games to play.

We were safe at 3pm today. We are now more safe. By close of play Monday we will be boringly safe in mid table.

I was one of those who thought we were probably safe before today- I actually still think there's a good chance whoever finishes 20th could stay up with 48. Looking at fixtures/form it's quite possible one of Wimbledon and Scunthorpe, possibly even Plymouth and Wycombe (given they do all play at least one game against another of those 4) don't make it beyond 48, and I don't think Southend and Walsall will. Wouldn't have been a comfortable end to the season, though!

Relegation spots are decided by league position, not points, and there's been so many teams below us for a number of weeks it was always likely enough of them would do a worse job than us.

In any case, today's win makes things a whole lot more comfortable. Hopefully we can enjoy the rest of the season now. It would be nice if we could hang onto 13th, or at least finish well clear of the relegation zone in mid-table obscurity.

But hang on. Some people here were arguing it was so close a month ago that it would take waaay more points than usual to stay up. Even 53 and 54 pts were being touted.

I always thought that with more teams involved, less pts would be needed and looks like that will be the case.

Very glad we’ve got to 51, but I agree with Robbo (and said it weeks ago) that 48 is still possibly safe and was always likely to be so.