We All Pay Your Benefits | Vital Football

We All Pay Your Benefits

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Anyone watch Nick and Margaret (from the apprentice) on BBC one the other nights.

Tax payers spend time with people claiming benefits.

Quite an eye opener where a few of the benefit recipients were better off than the workers.

The one lady had lizards, four cats, several dogs, kids and a four bed house, all on the country. She's overweight so must eat! She can afford a drink and darts out.

Can't understand why they don't have to make some contribution back to society. Surely some sort of community service for your money? Help in a food bank or something like that would be a start!?

The one chap has worked just four weeks in 20 years. He brings up his kids and says that is his full time job. One has left home, the rest are at school.

Amazing really. No one on benefits should make more than an identical set up who work.

Benefits bill 200 billion. About half to pensioners. 12.5% of national income.

Apparently 'only' 10% is to people out of work. Not the impression we get from the way the press report it, I would have predicted 30-40%

3million on incapacity benefits.

Of course that is also down to politicians pushing people that way to lower the unemployment figures.

Dont understand where the 100 billion in benefits to pensioners comes from. I dont get any benefits. I do however receive my state pension which is not a benefit but an entitlement having worked and paid into the system for 50 years.

While my eye's played up and had to go on the sick from work i got under £80 a week and £250 towards my rent which was £450 i was skint broke and living off family and freinds my mom used to buy me bread and beans cos my parents ain't well off, so when i here all these people on so much i am amazed and wonder how the feck they get so much when we can't when we need it?

They should now look at means testing pensions, it should be a cross party thing as, with an ageing population, we can no longer afford to pay the rich ones 'pocket money' whilst pensioners with nothing but the state pension can often live on the breadline.

People should, moving forward, HAVE to have private pensions.

The country cannot afford it, no matter who is in power.

I would also argue, despite us all (mostly) saying it, that the national insurance and tax is not a saving system, it is to fund the here and now.

Yup, it can be incredibly tough Clive.

Think the main problem, and from this programme most of them seemed 'this sort' is those who are comfortable in doing nothing and having no intention of ever working.

In that case the country should require five hours a day from them for the money they get. Some community service or voluntary, some assisted help in applying for jobs, going to interviews etc.

Think a few of the taxpayers were shocked at what those on the dole were getting.

Next weeks looks interesting, the dole folks accompany the tax payers for a week at work.

To honest I claimed dole for 9 months out of 39 years at work and only got £57 a week for the first 6 months I was off . I then signed on for no money at all .
All I can say is it wasn't fun for me and I couldn't claim a penny and was expected to live off my partners wages . Worst 9 months of my life .

I've worked since I was 16 and I guess be pretty fortunate Job wise .

The system is certainly broken when someone like me got no help whatsoever , I was told I was too skilled for the local job centre to help job wise and I was on my own.

The Beer baccy Benidorn and bingo brigade seem to do ok but it wasn't for me they are welcome to it

Thats right Fear the bloke at the jobcentre kept pestering me every other day calling me in and i blew a fuse as i had to riush back from an interview to tell him how i got on and he said to me ''we only bother folk like you as you have worked nearly all your working life'' and then i pointed out about the lads outside holding white lightening bottles etc he said ''yeah we don't bother them for work as they are seen as a lost cause'' i could not believe it basically if you work or have worked you get harrassed if you never have or not much its ok????????

Thats right Fear the bloke at the jobcentre kept pestering me every other day calling me in and i blew a fuse as i had to riush back from an interview to tell him how i got on and he said to me ''we only bother folk like you as you have worked nearly all your working life'' and then i pointed out about the lads outside holding white lightening bottles etc he said ''yeah we don't bother them for work as they are seen as a lost cause'' i could not believe it basically if you work or have worked you get harrassed if you never have or not much its ok????????

Yep watched it, those people you saw are what I have to deal with every day. I had a customer yesterday want to fight me because I said he should be sanctioned as he hasn't been attending his appointments. There are some lazy arse people out there that will try everything to not work. That young lad who had the iPhone and was doing vol work because it made him feel good. No mate get a fecking paid job and stop bumming off the state.

The Fear - 12/7/2013 20:41

They should now look at means testing pensions, it should be a cross party thing as, with an ageing population, we can no longer afford to pay the rich ones 'pocket money' whilst pensioners with nothing but the state pension can often live on the breadline.

I would throw child benefit into that as well.

People should, moving forward, HAVE to have private pensions.

The country cannot afford it, no matter who is in power.

The country could easily afford it if it stopped giving 50million a DAY to Europe, If it stopped paying the obsurd interest rates on "loans" from the central bank which is doing very nicely thank you from the fractional reserve scam they have been running for countless years, the country can't afford it because it's government are part of a fraudulant activity, and will receive their 30 pieces of silver at our cost.

Think the main problem, and from this programme most of them seemed 'this sort' is those who are comfortable in doing nothing and having no intention of ever working.

In that case the country should require five hours a day from them for the money they get. Some community service or voluntary, some assisted help in applying for jobs, going to interviews etc.

Just 5? I see no reason why they can't do the same hours as everyone else, lazy buggers!

I do know people who are genuine cases, but the sad thing is those who know the system and play it well end up able to afford going on holidays abroad while those actually in need and not wanting to be a burden to the country get screwed.

You get parasites everywhere.

Workplace Pensions will mean that every Employed worker will have to contribute to their own pension by 2018, as well as get a contribution from the boss.

It's a system copied from Australia and New Zealand where it did work.

I thought you were talking to me, Fear!
Anyway, thanks.
All contributions gratefully received and acknowledged.

astonion - 12/7/2013 20:25

Dont understand where the 100 billion in benefits to pensioners comes from. I dont get any benefits. I do however receive my state pension which is not a benefit but an entitlement having worked and paid into the system for 50 years.

Comes from all the benefit top ups pensioners can get like DLA (for those still on at 65 it continues with that name, only it will be called PIPS now) Attendance Allowance, pension credit, housing benefits, council tax benefits prescriptions dental chiropody local social care for those who need it, help towards care home fees and so on. All comes under the same umbrella

IMESHO, the best way to means test a benefit is to tax it. The approach taken with Child Benefit was really clumsy and unfair on households with a single income.
Talking of which, the state pension is subject to income tax although the other "goodies" (prescriptions, travel etc) are not. From the point of view of equity, they probably should be although it would be an administrative nightmare to arrive at the relevant amount for each individual.

davem - 12/7/2013 21:11

Yep watched it, those people you saw are what I have to deal with every day. I had a customer yesterday want to fight me because I said he should be sanctioned as he hasn't been attending his appointments. There are some lazy arse people out there that will try everything to not work. That young lad who had the iPhone and was doing vol work because it made him feel good. No mate get a fecking paid job and stop bumming off the state.

He just hasn't grown up. To rely on your family as a student is fair enough (as long as family are willing and like in my case, I did a lot of work for them to re-dress the balance/say thanks... ie cleaning, washing cars, decorating, garden etc) but to be fit and able for work after finishing uni and waiting for the perfect job whilst sponging off the family is awful.

I got the feeling with him that he wasn't willing to grow up or grow out of being a student.

Must be tough doing the job, because you I'm sure actually WANT to help people but some people are simply lazy and don't want to be helped.

As they said in the show and as we've all said before, the benefits are meant to be a safety net. It caught me once when the brain disease started and after my brain op, I'm forever grateful what the country did for me allowing me my own home etc.

But I cried with total joy the day I came off benefits and started paying back (ie paying my tax). It was a day of much pride.