We All Pay Your Benefits | Page 6 | Vital Football

We All Pay Your Benefits

mike_field - 21/7/2013 00:56

Anyone with a degree who thinks that entitles them to not pick up a box or stack shelves should instantly be required to repay the taxpayer for their entire education.

When the parents have been paying into the tax system all their lives and with most Uni students paying for their own education, I can't see what it has to do with anyone else.

Shouldn't someone who has spents years working for a degree then be entitled to find suitable work? I would say that it is a waste of talent to have someone with any (especially science based) degree stacking shelves in Tescos.

Anyone who refuses a job because. " they have a degree" should be shot in the face.
I've worked behind a bar , been a labourer for a builder, worked shifts stripping starter motors and unloaded kitchen furniture lorries.
I'm an international account manager now and last week I unloaded a 40 foot wagon dressed in a suit and tie because it needed doing.(I have a licence)
I know someone who uses this excuse. It was all I could do to not punch him.

To be fair, the example was very extreme. From media studies to being a carer wiping arses etc. they could have found a better example for the lad, there are many, many people who wouldn't be good/comfortable to be a carer.

JamTomorrow - 21/7/2013 17:15

Anyone with a degree who thinks that entitles them to not pick up a box or stack shelves should instantly be required to repay the taxpayer for their entire education.

When the parents have been paying into the tax system all their lives and with most Uni students paying for their own education, I can't see what it has to do with anyone else.

Shouldn't someone who has spents years working for a degree then be entitled to find suitable work? I would say that it is a waste of talent to have someone with any (especially science based) degree stacking shelves in Tescos.

Taking that to it's logical conclusion then, I should never pay any tax whatever because my grandparents and parents did, so I'm entitled to everything surely?

A degree is a chance to work at a higher level, not an entitlement so no it's not a waste to have little Johnny stacking shelves with his masters degree. What it means is when he looks for alternative work he has greater potential options. It doesn't mean he limits those options to only degree level work.

If I decided to retrain as a plumber, does that mean I'm able to ignore everything else I can potential do just because I can't find a plumbing job?

Agree with that JF, Media luvvie to carer is a big jump. Be interesting to find out if that lad did grow into it and is still doing it as I'm assuming that prog was filmed at least 6 odd months ago?

It's what Claire used to do and it's not an easy job at all.

AS a recent grad there does seem to be a sense of entitlement I think I had it for a bit... I finished top of my class and I think I thought I should walk into a cushy job despite being in the construction industry which is on its knees... I was on the dole for 6 months after college until I decided to take up an internship... I now work for a rubbish company but everyone has to start somewhere and thats what most who finish college refuse to understand...

I do have gripes about there not being enough money my government threw away my future in Ireland... I mean things could be vastly different for me you take a guy who finished with a 1.1 in 2005 the world was his oyster now my options are essentially stay in IReland for small reward or travel and try make something happen...
Iv sampled the small reward shit its taken me nearly a year from finishing college to realise what direction I want to take... I know now where I want to go and I also know that that sense of entitlement is nothing but damaging to your aspirations...

I hate my internship with a passion but it was what I needed to get my mind thinking about a better prospects and how to get there realistically and not in an ideal world scenario...

You get a first too, CDX? I did too (but as a mature student). Someone told me that some employers prefer people with 2.1s as they think if you've a 1.1, you're probably too studious for the real world. I've really been up against it all my life for as well as being bright, I'm also left-handed.......

i understand not wanting to go into a low skilled job as a career with a degree, but if there are no jobs around then its surely better working just for the experience.
Most employers want experience and a degree so if you can't get a job in your chosen field then get a low skilled job to prove you are able to work is better than sitting around doing nothing. 6 months working as a carer would add a lot to someones CV.

Although that guy's benefits were only £3000 a year and he was actually volunteering at the time...

Trekker - 21/7/2013 17:33

Anyone who refuses a job because. " they have a degree" should be shot in the face.
I've worked behind a bar , been a labourer for a builder, worked shifts stripping starter motors and unloaded kitchen furniture lorries.
I'm an international account manager now and last week I unloaded a 40 foot wagon dressed in a suit and tie because it needed doing.(I have a licence)

:1: You are the type of gaffer in the past i would die for, hands on not too big or good for any job absolute top bloke mate, and well siad why should anybody be too over qualifed for a job, money when needed is money,

I passed my city and guilds in mechanical engineering and NVQ 2/3 and key skills in Quality Control etc which took me about 7/8 years to get finsihed yet over this past 10 years i have been a beer keg loader to pubs, fork lift truck driver, bread delivery man, reality delivery driver, steel cutter, air con engr, a skivvy to pick up cars that company bosses had on finance through Black Horse and needed servicing and MOT, i have also done some others

Once i have my eye ops done i want to see about either plumbing or garden maintainance (patio cleaning etc) starting my own buisness but if my eye ops fail i may se if i can get a job working from home online somehow still trying to find out what there is in this field tbh

:1: You are the type of gaffer in the past i would die for, hands on not too big or good for any job absolute top bloke mate, and well siad why should anybody be too over qualifed for a job, money when needed is money,

I passed my city and guilds in mechanical engineering and NVQ 2/3 and key skills in Quality Control etc which took me about 7/8 years to get finsihed yet over this past 10 years i have been a beer keg loader to pubs, fork lift truck driver, bread delivery man, reality delivery driver, steel cutter, air con engr, a skivvy to pick up cars that company bosses had on finance through Black Horse and needed servicing and MOT, i have also done some others

Once i have my eye ops done i want to see about either plumbing or garden maintainance (patio cleaning etc) starting my own buisness but if my eye ops fail i may se if i can get a job working from home online somehow still trying to find out what there is in this field tbh

mike_field - 22/7/2013 02:06

Taking that to it's logical conclusion then, I should never pay any tax whatever because my grandparents and parents did, so I'm entitled to everything surely?

A degree is a chance to work at a higher level, not an entitlement so no it's not a waste to have little Johnny stacking shelves with his masters degree. What it means is when he looks for alternative work he has greater potential options. It doesn't mean he limits those options to only degree level work.

If I decided to retrain as a plumber, does that mean I'm able to ignore everything else I can potential do just because I can't find a plumbing job?

Mike, I agree. As I said on another thread, there is a sense of entitlement amongst the younger working generation. I got to where I am now (very senior role) by doing what other graduates wouldn't. Not this "I studied x,y,z in my degree so I'm not doing that" even though it is in their field!

Trekker, could not agree with you more. Exactly right - you do what needs to be done to get the job done. Going above and beyond and getting your hands dirty is sometimes necessary. Some life experience is needed. Employers want to see some work and life experience on a CV!!!!

Also, some of the most important roles in the country only care that someone has a degree, not what they have done with it...intelligence agencies, U.N. roles, etc.

ClivetheVillan - 22/7/2013 10:38

I know a guy who started a network of football fan sites and forums. He's now an internet millionaire with a BMW and a gym in his house.