WBA after DC | Page 46 | Vital Football

WBA after DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
8/11 but the maximum single liability is £25 so it is a market with almost no liquidity and going to be based on hearsay and paper talk rather than informed money.

1558639077590.png

Like Boris Johnson when he was working for the Times making up loads of stories about what the EU were and were not going to do which fed the feeding frenzy when he continued to spout bullshit during the referendum campaign. There, I managed to get Brexit into this thread in a legitimate way :wahey:

No, The Times sacked him for making up quotes from his godfather in his very first front page story, months into his apprenticeship. He then got a job at The Daily Telegraph through his connections with Max Hastings, and wrote all the EU guff there.

There is a portrait wall in The Times' offices of notable past and present employees, each with a bit of information on who they are. Johnson's on it, and the bio says he was sacked for lying.

Not that I've ever followed betting odds before but DC is massively shorter odds than anyone else, but then look donw the list and I see Steve Evans and Steve Clarke listed.

I don't think the next manager of WBA is a large market. People have jumped on DC when the whole world believed a tweet. I doubt it would take a vast amount of money to make any of the others favourite. I am sure some of the gamblers can explain it better.

Our learned friend tell_it_like_it_is seems to me to have summed it up perfectly. As the example shows whoever that bookie is will only lay a bet to lose £25. That would not be unusual. Think of the liabilities if someone is in the know. Yes I know there are rules about betting on football if you're involved, but I've lived a couple of days too long to think it can't happen.
I think the next manager markets mainly exist to get a bit of free publicity in the press and get people talking.

Our learned friend tell_it_like_it_is seems to me to have summed it up perfectly. As the example shows whoever that bookie is will only lay a bet to lose £25. That would not be unusual. Think of the liabilities if someone is in the know. Yes I know there are rules about betting on football if you're involved, but I've lived a couple of days too long to think it can't happen.
I think the next manager markets mainly exist to get a bit of free publicity in the press and get people talking.
certainly worked on this forum.

If that's the case then it looks like they have likely said not at this point then thankyou. Unless you come back with a huge offer for both us and the club.

Exactly right i think.
Repeating again what Danny said that namely staff have a value as much as players do and if any unbelievable offer is made that either they or the club can't turn down then a move could well happen, but it's not what they are looking for, they want to stay and continue the mission.

Now obviously West Brom and their ilk can pay many times what we can but Danny knows it will be a fairly hostile environment in comparison. Prima donna premier league players earning millions, a board who expect promotion only and will sack you if you're outside the top two at Christmas, fans who'll want you sacked if you lose two games in a row etc etc
So for Danny and Nicky it will be about weighing all that and a big but brief pay packet against what they have at Lincoln.

Whilst for our board, how would they rate an unbelievable offer?
How much are Danny and Nicky worth to us?
The football fortune that Danny talks about, the lengthy successful cup runs, well we have hardly had such things ever, just a 3rd round of the cup once every 15 years maybe. The earnings in last three seasons are therefore all down to Danny and Nicky and the board would have to assume not likely to be repeated for a long time.
Player trading has also taken a big upturn under them. Major sales with Raggett and Woodyard and Waterfall and even Green.
In previous seasons we had to pay off players to get them to leave.
It is likely we will see 2 or 3 big sales this close season too. So again that player acquisition and trading one or two on for big profit is something the board cannot expect to continue at anywhere near the same level without the Cowleys
Then there is us lot. We've always had big big turnouts for key games (cups, play offs, promotion games, relegation games and so on) but i cannot remember near sell out crowds for game after game after game all season long ever.
They have basically tripled out attendances.
Will they fall right back down post-Cowleys? I don't think so but I'd expect them to drop to somewhere in the 5000 to 6000 level.

So overall for the board to value the Cowleys staying vs a post-Cowley era, there must surely be a value per season of several millions to keep them. If the board then took a ten year ahead valuation of the Cowleys, it could easily be anything from £30 to £50 million.
So for me, any "unbelievable offer" has to at least make a major dent in that kind of figure if not match it, for it to make any sense for the board to consider accepting it (in the event of Danny and Nicky not accepting any such offer otherwise that is).

Now 3/10 from 1/7 drifting
Sorry fellas but all this guff about the latest odds on West Brom’s next manager - or indeed any club’s next manager - is absolutely ludicrous.

Just in case you hadn’t realised, betting companies make their money from people backing a losing bet. I’d therefore read nothing whatsoever into betting odds, and would even go as far to suggest that anyone spending time giving credence to these money grabbing leeches is wasting their time and probably their money too.

To bet on a decision that you have no influence whatsoever over is beyond stupid, and when you think how many people there are in the world who could really do with the money people throw away on gambling to eat and survive, the situation becomes not just ludicrous, but an incredibly sad indictment on the sorry state of world affairs.

Apologies for the rant. Don’t post much on here anymore, but as this issue was regularly souring my morning tea, I felt I had to act (!).

I would have to take you to task about how reporters behave. There are many instances of reporters making things up and being found out. Apologies to any reporters I know most have integrity. Don't make stuff up? £500k buyout? Was that not made up? so why is anyone giving the fella any credence?

"Lies, Damned Lies and Sun Exclusives" ?

Sorry fellas but all this guff about the latest odds on West Brom’s next manager - or indeed any club’s next manager - is absolutely ludicrous.

Just in case you hadn’t realised, betting companies make their money from people backing a losing bet. I’d therefore read nothing whatsoever into betting odds, and would even go as far to suggest that anyone spending time giving credence to these money grabbing leeches is wasting their time and probably their money too.

To bet on a decision that you have no influence whatsoever over is beyond stupid, and when you think how many people there are in the world who could really do with the money people throw away on gambling to eat and survive, the situation becomes not just ludicrous, but an incredibly sad indictment on the sorry state of world affairs.

Apologies for the rant. Don’t post much on here anymore, but as this issue was regularly souring my morning tea, I felt I had to act (!).

Well said. It's a filthy habit.

I agree that gambling is a bit of a daft thing but that's only my opinion and it's each to their own. It's peoples money and they can do with it as they like. Unfortunately the world is a very unequal place but despite lots of people procrastinating about it. How many people actually send most of their money over to these people and live a simple life themselves. There are some but not many.

Words are cheap actions are not! I pay direct debits to charities but I still live a nice lifestyle as do many while others around the world have nothing. Although there are poor people here it's all relative and we are very lucky that we live in the rich country we do and people forget that to easily.

This morning's news from the Birmingham Mail (includes a foreigner)

Danny Cowley 4/5

Bruno Labbadia 7/2

Chris Hughton 7/1

Michael Appleton 9/1

Michael O’Neill 10/1

Garry Monk 12/1

David Moyes 16/1

etc etc

Sky Sports reporting that DC unhappy with the budget (how do they know I wonder) & that the compensation die would be 500k each brother.

If I had an ounce of cynicism and didn't believe that anything DC did wasn't altruistic I would think that this wass an attempt to ftry and blackmail the board to increase the budget. I mean it wasn't as if they threatened to leave if they didn't get a training ground was it.

Sky Sports reporting that DC unhappy with the budget (how do they know I wonder) & that the compensation die would be 500k each brother.

If I had an ounce of cynicism and didn't believe that anything DC did wasn't altruistic I would think that this wass an attempt to ftry and blackmail the board to increase the budget. I mean it wasn't as if they threatened to leave if they didn't get a training ground was it.

Sky Sports has a lot of air time to fill especially at this time of the season. Pure speculation by them

Status
Not open for further replies.