Watson | Page 3 | Vital Football

Watson

Polo is correct. Watson playing slightly differently this season. It requires several things to work. He has to have at least one if not two midfielders alongside him who can get up and down the field and shrug off a tackle. When Forest fall behind he gambles a little bit more to try and get us the game. In gambling he moves up field which highlights his lack of pace. This was evident against Charlton and Leeds as well as at home v Preston. The arrival of Sow changed that v Preston where as we got lucky v Charlton and Leeds. Last two home games he had just started to move up a bit more when he scored.

Yates could be a better option long term but is more likely to be used in the Sow role until he gets more experience. Watson is reading the game well and shoots out of defensive line to put opposition under pressure. Seems to be a sign for the whole midfield to press and back four to push up.

The formation allows the two fullbacks to act as wingbacks yet not take out a midfielder to provide third CB. Shape is sometimes 4:1:4:1 and other times is 4:4 :1:1. The 1 behind the attacker could become a 2 if we had a striker who could fulfill that role. SL’s Xmas wish List?

Think you are doing Watson a dis-service with that. It does require several things to work

A player with a great football brain.
A player who knows when to stay on his feet, and when to nip in and toe poke the ball away
A player who's passing can be great.

I hope people are right when they say we can slot Yates or someone else in there, but it's not as easy as that. You need someone who can read the game, and for all his energy, I haven't really seen that from Yates.

BW is now our third top scorer too !

Why does Figs not get any love?

My player of the season so far

Highly underrated IMHO

Watson’s role is multifaceted. He often plays a traditional DM role alongside Sow who runs around Harassing anything that moves. Watson tends to sit deeper. Forest tend to push fullbacks in to the traditional wing role allowing the wingers (often Ameobi and Lolley) to cut inside. This leaves the wings slightly open. Forest allow play to go wide as they have confidence in Fig and Worrall to collect most crosses. When Forest are caught with a fullback upfield, the centre back goes wide and Watson drops in to three at the back. This happens for short periods only as both fullbacks have good recovery and CB can quickly return to position.

If Watson was 25 and a bit quicker he would be worth a bomb.

Can Yates fulfil this position long term? At present he is playing the Sow role of Harassing midfielders but he could. He just needs experience to be able to read the game better. McGuane? Possibly. Not seen anything to know. Forsah? Possibly. Again needs more experience and his loan spell will be telling.

McGuane, Forsah are the more likely long term fits, though Yates has physical attributes and a bit more experience. All are probably a year to 18 months off possible transmission. Looks like we may need a stop gap if age catches up or we go up. If Watson plays well Forest play well. Player of Season so far.

Scored vital home winners against Barnsley and Brentford as well. Should have had another winner in that debacle at Reading too.

How is he staying fit?

Forest fans love someone to vilify - Watson has shown how important he is to the side, positionally/leadership/goals and his resurrection is down to Lamouchi.

I do think that Yates will be the replacement for Watson, but again, I just don't think they work as a midfield pairing.

I'm not convinced by Semedo either, but it's a squad game and that was a great result when the pressure was on!

Forest fans love someone to vilify - Watson has shown how important he is to the side, positionally/leadership/goals and his resurrection is down to Lamouchi.

I do think that Yates will be the replacement for Watson, but again, I just don't think they work as a midfield pairing.

I'm not convinced by Semedo either, but it's a squad game and that was a great result when the pressure was on!
It’s strange, last season Watson seemed to tell Yates what to do and yates looked 100% a star midfielder, this season i don’t know whether Yates has read all his write ups and thought he’s billy big bollocks or if he’s still struggling to get upto speed after his injury but he seems a shadow of last season.

It’s strange, last season Watson seemed to tell Yates what to do and yates looked 100% a star midfielder, this season i don’t know whether Yates has read all his write ups and thought he’s billy big bollocks or if he’s still struggling to get upto speed after his injury but he seems a shadow of last season.
lmfao@speed