Watson | Page 2 | Vital Football

Watson

It would be nice if all players had all those attributes but if they did they wouldn’t be playing for us! Even messi doesn’t have all of those ie power

Carv is another good example, no power or pace but has other qualities.
Watson can read the game and is good with the ball as in doesn’t give it away. Every team needs a player like him but his type are rarely appreciated by the masses.

I’d have Yates over him all day though

I like yates but he is still learning imo. If he played that role atm i would be scared he would get a card every game.

Maybe Watson can read the danger but he certainly can't get there to do much about it.sadly he seems here to stay.look forward to more games of surrendering the middle and 70% of the ball.

Watson, football genius. Sure you're right marco.

Most of the criticism is that he is slow.
Everyone hates him. But he's playgn a different role this season. If you clowns watch, he drops in to cover CB when the wingers push on to give us 3 at the back. Also covers when one of the CBs gets drawn out of shape.

its very clever and you lot don't understand it I don't think
Elementary chap.

It will be interesting to see how SL views Yates, is he ready to take over from Watson? While he's definitely more mobile he's generally played with Colback alongside him. A 4-1-4-1 puts a lot of responsibility on him, not so much on his engine but his ability to read space and danger.
Yates needs someone around him coaching him. Whether that’s Watson, Colback or even Dawson he isn’t quite ready to be trusted alone in that role.

He also looked like he knows how to get forward albeit he doesn’t have much pace. The question is now how does Lamouchi see him progressing and what role will he play.

There’s definitely a player there but I wonder if a loan to another Championship club might have been beneficial. Can’t see him getting much game time with us.

I like yates but he is still learning imo. If he played that role atm i would be scared he would get a card every game.
Agree with that which is why Watson is in at the mo if nothing else you can generally trust him not to lose the ball.
Samba I’ve not seen enough of to trust him yet.
I’ve seen enough of semedo/Silva to know I don’t trust them

It would be nice if all players had all those attributes but if they did they wouldn’t be playing for us! Even messi doesn’t have all of those ie power

Carv is another good example, no power or pace but has other qualities.
Watson can read the game and is good with the ball as in doesn’t give it away. Every team needs a player like him but his type are rarely appreciated by the masses.

I’d have Yates over him all day though
in league two hed be ok

Polo is correct. Watson playing slightly differently this season. It requires several things to work. He has to have at least one if not two midfielders alongside him who can get up and down the field and shrug off a tackle. When Forest fall behind he gambles a little bit more to try and get us the game. In gambling he moves up field which highlights his lack of pace. This was evident against Charlton and Leeds as well as at home v Preston. The arrival of Sow changed that v Preston where as we got lucky v Charlton and Leeds. Last two home games he had just started to move up a bit more when he scored.

Yates could be a better option long term but is more likely to be used in the Sow role until he gets more experience. Watson is reading the game well and shoots out of defensive line to put opposition under pressure. Seems to be a sign for the whole midfield to press and back four to push up.

The formation allows the two fullbacks to act as wingbacks yet not take out a midfielder to provide third CB. Shape is sometimes 4:1:4:1 and other times is 4:4 :1:1. The 1 behind the attacker could become a 2 if we had a striker who could fulfill that role. SL’s Xmas wish List?

Great reaction to Watson's goal on Saturday & the post match reaction of all the players was great to see too!

MP was dead right to highlight Watson's worth to the team. BW has proved all the doubters wrong.

He was outstanding on Saturday. The players respect him, not least, because he is a true leader.