Watford | Vital Football

Watford

FCBEARS

Vital Football Legend
So Vrancic is back and ready to go according to him but DF says his not 100% and will be an option from the bench.

Good news is that Zimmermann and Hanley are back in light training. Both could be back after the international break.

Amadou and Cantwell both fit.

DF says it is the first time that training has been competitive because of players been fit again. That is crazy.

DF says Tettey did well in CB but will not play there again... he hopes.

DF disagrees with Aarons who said it is a must-win. DF said: 'Ah that is young players for you. It is good that Max wants to win. So do I but we won't be opening any champagne if we do. It is not a cup final for us.'

DF on Watford 'They have spent £30m on just one player in the summer. I haven't spent that on my squad in three seasons. That is the reality. We're not proud of not being able to spend all these millions like the other Premier League clubs, quite the opposite. But we have to deal with that and take the right measures, like developing our academy and keep going with what we have. Hopefully one day we can become a prominent financial club but until then we need to work for that '

How many times does the manager have to say things like this for the board to act?

DF says we are always going to be underdogs - that is not nice to hear.

DF not concerned about Pukki says: No I a not worried. We all trust him and he knows the life of a striker. It's important to Teemu works hard, he is an experienced striker, he knows these times of struggling to score will come, but he knows we all trust him to get those goals flowing again.'

I'd hope maybe DF might try to change his formation or style to help Pukki.

Farke talks about us not having bravery and maturity in their play recently.

DF talks about a lack of confidence and how the players aren’t fluid. Points to a lack of robustness but says they cannot forget ‘how to smile’ when they play. That is part of your job to sort out. Sounds like self-doubt has crept into the players.

DF says he isn't too upset because once all players are fit they will be better.

'That’s why I’m looking forward to having my proper centre-backs fit and to be honest that is why I’m in a good mood. Those problems have had a big effect on the overall playing style. I'm really looking forward to having my centre-backs return from injury, when you're solid at the back it's the best foundation to play good football further up the pitch. Getting our centre-backs in the team will help us go back to our fluent football. '

Not the best comment from DF saying he is praying Deeney doesn't make the game - gives him and them confidence and could make the players nervous:

'Deeney is a very important player for Watford, so we need to find solutions to deal with that. I wasn't sitting in my office just praying he is still not fit to play, you have to prepare for the hardest game possible and hopefully, the result will come.'

So I think DF will go:

Krul

Aarons
Godfrey
Amadou
Lewis

Tettey (c)
McLean

Hernandez
Stiepermann
Buendia

Pukki

Subs

Fahrmann - Trybull - Byram - Cantwell - Vrancic - Srbeny - Drmic -

I think I'd have Buendia as the number 10

Krul

Aarons
Godfrey
Famewo
Lewis

Cantwell
Trybull
Amadou
Hernandez

Buendia

Pukki

Roberts is now even further down the list now Vrancic is back.

I think I'd have him on the bench though

Fahrmann - Byram - Tettey - Roberts - Drmic - McLean - Vrancic

Id put famewo next to Ben and amadou as CDM. Please no steipy. We all outfield players working they're nuts off, no switching off moaning (emi) no lolloping around (steipy), no sloppy passes/losing the ball a lot (cantwell of late) and no defensive errors!! Sort that out and we can get rolling again.

Sadly for me, even with Zimbo back we will still leak goals, we need a proper CDM protecting the backline. We let tons in last season but out scored everyone.

Player confidence is low hence lack of fluidity which knocks on to performance/results. Players suddenly dont want the ball where they did before, get dispossessed easier than before. Next up if not happening already, players agents will be in their earholes sounding out potential moves!

A win tomorrow will be massive, for me its a must, a draws not enough and a defeat i dont want to even think about. We need to get the first goal.

I’d try a personnel change as follows:

Krul

Aarons
Godfrey
Famewo
Lewis

Trybull
Amadou

Hernandez
Pukki
Buendia

Drmic

Pukki at number 10 but more as a slightly withdrawn striker to support Drmic.
Pukki’s ability on the ball and allowing him to drop a little deeper could really help and not at the expense of losing a player in the striker position because of it.
Drmic could be a bit of a target man if needed, he is 6ft tall, after all.

Thoughts?

That three behind Drmic would be fluid and regularly change positions so Pukki and Hernandez could also offer options in the channels

So Vrancic is back and ready to go according to him but DF says his not 100% and will be an option from the bench.

Good news is that Zimmermann and Hanley are back in light training. Both could be back after the international break.

Amadou and Cantwell both fit.

DF says it is the first time that training has been competitive because of players been fit again. That is crazy.

DF says Tettey did well in CB but will not play there again... he hopes.

DF disagrees with Aarons who said it is a must-win. DF said: 'Ah that is young players for you. It is good that Max wants to win. So do I but we won't be opening any champagne if we do. It is not a cup final for us.'

DF on Watford 'They have spent £30m on just one player in the summer. I haven't spent that on my squad in three seasons. That is the reality. We're not proud of not being able to spend all these millions like the other Premier League clubs, quite the opposite. But we have to deal with that and take the right measures, like developing our academy and keep going with what we have. Hopefully one day we can become a prominent financial club but until then we need to work for that '

How many times does the manager have to say things like this for the board to act?

DF says we are always going to be underdogs - that is not nice to hear.

DF not concerned about Pukki says: No I a not worried. We all trust him and he knows the life of a striker. It's important to Teemu works hard, he is an experienced striker, he knows these times of struggling to score will come, but he knows we all trust him to get those goals flowing again.'

I'd hope maybe DF might try to change his formation or style to help Pukki.

Farke talks about us not having bravery and maturity in their play recently.

DF talks about a lack of confidence and how the players aren’t fluid. Points to a lack of robustness but says they cannot forget ‘how to smile’ when they play. That is part of your job to sort out. Sounds like self-doubt has crept into the players.

DF says he isn't too upset because once all players are fit they will be better.

'That’s why I’m looking forward to having my proper centre-backs fit and to be honest that is why I’m in a good mood. Those problems have had a big effect on the overall playing style. I'm really looking forward to having my centre-backs return from injury, when you're solid at the back it's the best foundation to play good football further up the pitch. Getting our centre-backs in the team will help us go back to our fluent football. '

Not the best comment from DF saying he is praying Deeney doesn't make the game - gives him and them confidence and could make the players nervous:

'Deeney is a very important player for Watford, so we need to find solutions to deal with that. I wasn't sitting in my office just praying he is still not fit to play, you have to prepare for the hardest game possible and hopefully, the result will come.'
Great write up, Bears ?

I'd have a brick wall built on some mobile device. Then I would park it in front of our goal and at half time, I would move it up the other end.

Defence sorted!

Seriously Amadou in defence with Godfrey with Tettey in as DM.

Last edited:
Id defo put famewo at CB with Amadou in CDM. Not sure about Drmic, havent seen enough of him, maybe nows the time to shine!

Krul

Aarons
Tettey (C)
Godfrey
Lewis

Trybull
McLean

Buendia
Stiepermann
Hernandez

Pukki.

Subs:

Fahrmann (GK), Byram, Amadou, Vrancic, Cantwell, Srbeny, Drmic

SKY has us as 4-1-4-1 which makes no sense. It is 4-2-3-1.

DF said that was it with Tettey as a CB then plays him there again. Same line up that lost to Brighton and had no shots on target - I am not confident.

Stiepermann better show up today and the same for McLean.