Watford v Spurs how will it pan out? - Game Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

Watford v Spurs how will it pan out? - Game Thread

It's OK Muttley, I don't mind being picked on. And I understand why.

Bottom line is I pretty much attend all the England home internationals and have been an avid supporter of International football forever.

However, after the travails of the World Cup and the start of the new season I actually think having a new highly competitive competition isn't smart - players aren't machines.

In this case I would prefer friendlies where it is not that meaningful to allow the manager to make simple 'try them out' choices instead of immediately being in a new high pressure media situation all over again.

For me this is just another governing body money raising gimmick that we didn't and don't need in an already crowded calendar.

Our players, given that so many are in the England set-up (and of course others) are going to be played into the ground if we are not careful.

As for Sterling (and others) I do think that managers and players have often had 'luckily time' short term injuries that have helped them in the PL...maybe we now need to act just as cynically?

And sadly, I do think this is one of those times that after our last performance I'd like to see Poch use it to the max - I've never seen us toil so much, look so heavy legged and struggle so much with the physical aspects of the game as I saw at first hand on Sunday, because of our lack of workrate, defenders got collectovely caught out and struggled to recover or get on the front foot - they just looked shattered.

We looked dead on our feet and everything looked like a struggle - and much of that I honestly think could be down to fatigue and being over-played and not having a long enough break.

I didn't think it would hit so soon, but Sunday it looked just like that, almost everyone was blowing hard when Watford players seemed to find a second wind.

Maybe it's just too much partying after the manure result - (but I doubt that), although the way Lloris came unstuck - is I am told, could well have been the story of a good few of our players.....

Shades of grey everywhere Ex with international football and its relationship to the domestic game.

I do agree about the fatigue in the squad. With the 5 internationals, 6 CL games on top of the EFL cup run and league games, Poch will earn his money this year if he can keep the squad fresh going into the new year. If players are tired in the 4th game of the season, then it only gets worse.

Also, are we seeing a new strategy from opposition managers? You could argue that Watford didn't lay a glove on us until the middle of the second half. They retreated, surrendered possession and left Vorm with nothing to do. Then they hit us hard, pressing everywhere and we had nothing in the tank.

We lose to Liverpool and I think the season is going to be a massive slog.

Already 2 wins behind them and potentially Chelsea/City.

That 6th place is looking bang on the money....

I'd rather not think of the Liverpool game thank you :shake:

No specifics, he then goes on to question why we started to go long ball and not play the same before we scored. If he is at fault....Why ? .....I picked the wrong players, formation and tactics, then I didn't make changes soon enough....is what I want to hear. Everyone knows the manager carries the can, that's stating the obvious.
Don't need specifics, he said he was to blame and that is it, no more needed, he owned up to culpability, what do you want him to do, wear a hair shirt for the rest of the season.

nah mate, I am optimistic and think we will just about make top four, admittedly it will be damned bloody hard, but I think we will do it.

Don't need specifics, he said he was to blame and that is it, no more needed, he owned up to culpability, what do you want him to do, wear a hair shirt for the rest of the season.

I want to know he understands what he did wrong, so that he don't do it again. I want him to learn and not be stubborn as some have suggested he is.

I want to know he understands what he did wrong, so that he don't do it again. I want him to learn and not be stubborn as some have suggested he is.
Can't say I can fault that mate.
I hope he learns as well, but he is relatively young in experience and age as a top manager and as such his ego still probably gets in the way a bit, I reckon as he matures over the next five years that I hope he stays with us, and longer, he will learn from the mistakes he is making now and become a world class manager, but as you say, only if he understands what he's done wrong, learns and changes his attitude.

Yep we are struggling on both ends...defending and finishing our chances. (though we seem to have a alarmingly small amount of quality chances anyway...so I guess you add that to our list of things we need to fix)

Yep we are struggling on both ends...defending and finishing our chances. (though we seem to have a alarmingly small amount of quality chances anyway...so I guess you add that to our list of things we need to fix)

I actually disagree to an extent, we have quite a few chances but the final pass, ball, shot is poor.