Watford 0 Manchester City 6 Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate | Page 2 | Vital Football

Watford 0 Manchester City 6 Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate

BamaEngineer - 16/9/2017 19:10

There is a lot of smoke about Pep shifting the Captain because of his latest crock. Otto and Stoney do look like they can keep him off the pitch without having to shift him.

They do indeed. It's not a surprise that this 'smoke' is emerging. Vincent entered this season on his eight or ninth life. The disruption that his injuries generate are not conducive to providing the solid foundation at the back for progress. They create uncertainty and loss of confidence - "even if I play my best I might still get ditched when VK is fit" which is different than coping with rotation to deal with the frequency of games.

Skoorb - 17/9/2017 07:37

Mendy needs to close his legs when he's defending - nutmegged twice in two games :014:

I think he has to stand that way Skoorb, if he put his feet together, it looks like he would fall over.

I never appreciated Mendy until he played for us, whips in a lot of balls, the majority come to nothing but with him and Walker, life with City gets exciting.

I also noticed the speed at which the passes now come in, hard and fast and get controlled 98% of the time, quick that the idea when Pep came last season it was poopooed by Glen hoddle 'playing out from the back, ridiculous' Pep's idea is that you keep the ball, 50/50 at best, if you hoof it up field .

Amazingly I don't think this is the best we have played, but it did show that we are getting better.

Tom Cleverley (Watford) on City: "In my whole career that is one of, if not the best single performances I have played against."

Tom Cleverley: "Every area of the field they are organised. Even the nasty side of the game they can do that with players like Fernandinho."

Fernandinho fouls against Watford = 0

Cleverley fouls against City = 3

But thanks Tom, that was rather nice of you to say.

Skoorb - 17/9/2017 07:37

Mendy needs to close his legs when he's defending - nutmegged twice in two games :014:

It's the shape of his legs. As my granny used to say, he couldn't stop a pig in an alley (meaning he's bandy).

^Same comment was made about Joe Mercer in his time as a Everton, Arsenal, and England player.

Dixie Dean put it a bit more politely - Mercer's legs wouldn't last on a postman's round in the morning.

Check out the 'Heatmap' which shows how active City were all over the pitch. The width that Mendy and Walker now offer is plain to see - we are now operating across the length and breadth of the pitch. This is creating space in the middle which can be exploited by the likes of De Bruyne and Silva. The passes which KDB & Fernandinho have been able to slide through this season weren't there last time out - but now with the opposition midfield and defence stretched across the whole width of the pitch the opportunities are there again.

Select the 'Heatmaps' tab on top of the pitch graphic.......

vs Watford

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1190204/Live/England-Premier-League-2017-2018-Watford-Manchester-City

vs Bournemouth

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1190215/Live/England-Premier-League-2017-2018-Bournemouth-Manchester-City

If you un-tick the box next to the total No of touches and 'Man City' you are then able, should you wish, to tick an individual or several players to see where they were operating. Fantastic analytical tool :-)