Watching the world cup in London | Vital Football

Watching the world cup in London

alphabet_king

Vital 1st Team Regular
Does any one know somewhere decent to watch the world cup near the tate modern? I am working next door to it and am strangely keen to catch the big exciting first game of Russia vs saudis. Looking for somewhere either in Southwark or borough market/London bridge. Or maybe even st Paul's or mansion house (can walk over the millennium/Southwark bridges). Anywhere with a few tv's will do (not Dixon's).

I think Barrow boy and banker no longer does sport unfortunately.

You’ll bump into loads of pubs that’ll do it, but Doggett’s on the Southbank next to Blackfriars station is a good choice, I’ve seen a few there before.

You’ll bump into loads of pubs that’ll do it, but Doggett’s on the Southbank next to Blackfriars station is a good choice, I’ve seen a few there before.
There's a number closer to Waterloo, but that's too far away. I'm literally hoping for somewhere I can go in 5 mins. I don't know of many within 5 mins walk around borough market end of tate modern though unfortunately.

Doggett may be an option, cheers Trev. A little in the opposite direction than I fancied and on the limit of being able to get there quickly, but if nothing else it may be the best option. Nothing on their website about the football though so may give them a call to confirm.

There's the Shipwright's Arms on the new concourse just outside London Bridge. Have never been in, but since London Bridge has been redeveloped, it's become a new focal point. Their website says "2 big screens in the main bar and 1 in the function room". Would be easy to get home from. Bring it on.

There's a number closer to Waterloo, but that's too far away. I'm literally hoping for somewhere I can go in 5 mins. I don't know of many within 5 mins walk around borough market end of tate modern though unfortunately.

Doggett may be an option, cheers Trev. A little in the opposite direction than I fancied and on the limit of being able to get there quickly, but if nothing else it may be the best option. Nothing on their website about the football though so may give them a call to confirm.

Doggett's pretty quiet and lots of TVs but a typical Nicholson's Tourist Trap. Football pubs are short but in terms of screens The Windmill on The Cut is probably best. Most pubs will have small Tellys - Rose and Crown is Shepherds Neame and will has an outdoor screen in the Beer Garden. I'll be in the Charlotte on Union Street which is a new boozer and apparently has an outdoor screen as well (courtyard rather than garden) - albeit its a bit faux hipstery.

Doggett's pretty quiet and lots of TVs but a typical Nicholson's Tourist Trap. Football pubs are short but in terms of screens The Windmill on The Cut is probably best. Most pubs will have small Tellys - Rose and Crown is Shepherds Neame and will has an outdoor screen in the Beer Garden. I'll be in the Charlotte on Union Street which is a new boozer and apparently has an outdoor screen as well (courtyard rather than garden) - albeit its a bit faux hipstery.
I know what you mean about Nicholson tourist trap on the ground floor but if I remember there was a sports bar on the 2nd or 3rd floor? Although this was years ago the last time I went up the stairs in there.

That said, all of your recommendations sound decent. Without sports in mind I’ll have to have a decent day around London Bridge/Southwark/Lewisham - I still haven’t been to Katzenjammer, the Draft House, Model Market etc.

Must be losing my touch, don't know either the Draft House or The Dean Swift, Are they real pubs or hang outs for tossers?

A bit hip for me

I prefer the Market Porter or BOG at Borough Market, or Woolpack on Bermondsey St.
Yep market porter is good. Usually end up in wheatsheaf or Southwark tavern.

Ended up in bellushis today. Which was my mates suggestion but actually its much better than it used to be. Modern. Not poncy craft ales, but good enough and plenty of screens for the football.

I bat for both sides...real ale and/or craft beer. :cool:

Add foreign stuff to that too, particularly the continental types.