Watching football again | Vital Football

Watching football again

Suffolk Gills

Vital Youth Team
I have recently started thinking what going back to games will be like - am I ready to do it? I have had both vaccination jabs, so in theory reasonably safe. Even so the ongoing risks are still uncertain. I generally travel by train - but could take the car, so no problem there. So the risk areas: large number of people in one space. Someone squeezing past to get to / leave their seat. Person behind you shouting - no mask. I am really not sure it is worth the risk - or perhaps the risk is negligible. Mind you, being too cautious leads to a terrible place where we all do very little if risk adverse. In a nutshell - I don't know what happens if I catch Covid and could I pass it on? I suspect it will be some time before there is reasonable certainty and confidence.

I'm dreaming of a return and would give it a go but it's reasonable for people to weigh it up in their mind. We all have different priorities, perceptions and vulnerabilities. If I have a concern it is over how enjoyable, or otherwise, the experience might be. I have a very low boredom threshold when faced with queues, protocol and obvious controls and hope that it might be as "normal" as possible.

The big question is how many will come back as soon as possible because there are a lot of factors at work. If you need to use public transport, if you have conditions, or a temperament that makes you feel vulnerable, how well managed the situation is, the ST offer and much more. On the plus side there is plenty of time to work it all out and do trials and the team have generated interest with their performances this season.

I've been lucky enough to work through the entire pandemic (except when I was signed off for falling off a ladder) so don't give a f****. Bring it on, I'm happy (having a two year season ticket) to be treated as one of the a guinea pigs. Bugger it all, I'll probably be dead in the next few years anyway

I have tickets for two Euro2020 games at Wembley (at least I had tickets, with reduced capacity they are presumably going to have to cut people). I'm inclined to go, but even with much reduced capacity it's going to be crowded getting there and back.

It's amazing how easily the feeling of saying "I don't think I'll bother" grows in this weird time of cocooning. It is, of course, the road to depression, illness and worse. As my dearly departed mother used to say, "you have to make the effort," even when the reason why is not always clear. You generally feel better for doing so, even if sometimes it's just the good feeling of getting home from another complete waste of time.

Think the situation is similar to when my Dad died. My Mum vowed to continue going out whenever invited by friends, as she felt she could soon be forgotten and left isolated. She died many years later, remembered and surrounded by many old and reliable friends.

Keep connected, keep making the effort - otherwise just give up and die.

I have tickets for two Euro2020 games at Wembley (at least I had tickets, with reduced capacity they are presumably going to have to cut people). I'm inclined to go, but even with much reduced capacity it's going to be crowded getting there and back.

In the same boat, mate. I have the three England group games and the semi final which would be England were we to win the group and progress (which is helped by today's moving of the last 16 from Dublin to Wembley, which would be England, if we win the group. Last I saw was that we're looking at a minimum of 25% for the group games and possibly more for knockout games. Would be happy to get in to one of the group games and hopefully the semi, but we'll see. I'll be double vaccinated by then, so happy to take my chance - same as with Gills next season.

I have recently started thinking what going back to games will be like - am I ready to do it? I have had both vaccination jabs, so in theory reasonably safe. Even so the ongoing risks are still uncertain. I generally travel by train - but could take the car, so no problem there. So the risk areas: large number of people in one space. Someone squeezing past to get to / leave their seat. Person behind you shouting - no mask. I am really not sure it is worth the risk - or perhaps the risk is negligible. Mind you, being too cautious leads to a terrible place where we all do very little if risk adverse. In a nutshell - I don't know what happens if I catch Covid and could I pass it on? I suspect it will be some time before there is reasonable certainty and confidence.
Go.
I'm not one of these Covid denier pricks at all and have wanted the Government to be more cautuous, which it finally has been after multiple cock ups. However, things seem to be better now so, if the progress continues then I would expect to be able to go to matches from August.

Obviously all activities involve risk but it is a matter of balancing them. People don't want Astra Zenica 'cos of blood clots but travel by car which is far more dangerous.

If you want to play safe I wouldn't blame you though.

It is a difficult one certainly. I have loved going to football matches for years, and have constantly berated PL supporting friends and work colleagues for being armchair fans and never knowing the buzz of a live game.

When ifollow starting showing Tuesday night games a few years ago, even though I had a season ticket it was often preferable due to work to sit on the sofa watching it on the MacBook. Coupled with the fact I hate the cold and in January could watch in front of the fire with a glass of wine, I know, I know, what a tart. I've become everything I despise.......

Anyway, back to the point, I really want to get back watching at Priestfield. Yet my mate has worked from home and barely seen anyone for a year and is (rightly so) dubious. Another guy with us has shielded for a long, long time and is umming and ahhhing. The problem is, Going to the football is one thing, going with your mates is often the very thing that makes it worthwhile (even if it’s just the regular people you’ve sat amongst for 10 years). I get the hesitation too. Sitting in the rainham end there is the guy that sits 3/4 of the way up to the left of the goal that can’t go 5 minutes without standing and bellowing abuse at the top of his voice. You can literally see the spit firing from his gob most of the time. Who wants to sit anywhere near him now? How you gonna police it?

Rob, that bellowing guy sounds awfully like someone I know. Maybe there are numbers of them! I suspect clubs will play safe and issue swift warnings where they think appropriate. I still view tedium as the main possible dissuader. Half an hour queuing outside and over fussy stewarding would cool my ardour.

Sounds like the guy who sits next to the isle between blocks 4 & 5. Quite often goes purple during one of his expletive spit splatter rants and runs out of breathe before he finishes it......it's actually quite amusing to watch, although in the current climate umbrellas for those sitting in front may not be enough.

Sounds like the guy who sits next to the isle between blocks 4 & 5. Quite often goes purple during one of his expletive spit splatter rants and runs out of breathe before he finishes it......it's actually quite amusing to watch, although in the current climate umbrellas for those sitting in front may not be enough.

Possibly is the same guy Captain. Location is about correct. One question, do most of his diatribes contain multiple screams of “caaaaaaant”?

Thats exactly who I thought of reading Robs post . Middle aged guy with a beard - posts on here under the username wayne something ?

He's about 5 rows in front of me - feel for the people around him.

As for going to football again we all have to way up the risks and decide for ourselves. With so few cases in the local area its hard to imagine you will meet someone with it. If the cases rise to many hundreds per 100,000 then it might be a different decision.

Possibly is the same guy Captain. Location is about correct. One question, do most of his diatribes contain multiple screams of “caaaaaaant”?

Yes the "caaaaaaaaant" word is quite often a favourite of his. The guy I'm thinking of sits about row J (ish) three or four seats into block four from the isle.

I'll be quite happy to sit with a beer and watch on iFollow. Lazy b'stard that I am!