Warnock...what’s the secret? | Vital Football

Warnock...what’s the secret?

ramAnag

Vital Reserves Team
Love him or loathe him, and it’s far from an even division, you have to hand it to Neil Warnock, winning promotion eight times is a major achievement and he’s certainly got something.
No idea how he does it and on the couple of occasions I’ve seen Cardiff recently they’ve looked no great shakes to me but, like Pulis and even Jim Smith before that...these relatively underachieving footballers have certainly shown some of the ‘superstars’ how to do it in terms of management so...what’s the secret?

I think it's twofold. How he sets his team up and how he motivates players to do the job he wants them to do.

Always praises his player too no matter how they play, an arm around the shoulder goes a long way. He always has eleven warriors on the pitch who give everything. Don't know what he does but he's good at it!

He certainly has the red glow to the face of an underworld creature, especially when they lost to Wolves :censor:cardiff snowman.JPG
And then there are his followers.....................demons everyone of them, these two especially !

Maybe it’s something to do with learning his trade at the smaller clubs - Gainsborough, Burton (in their non league days), Torquay, Bury etc.
Did that for about twenty years I think before his first ‘big’ club...Sheffield Utd.
The only ‘big’ club he screwed up was his ‘secret agent’ job at Leeds which does actually endear him to me, but managing in the lower leagues is a whole different ball game where you have to be able to sign value for money and understand the value of assembling a team rather than buying up ‘names’.
Bit bonkers but many could learn from him.

Head and Shoulders I expect.

Don't think there's any secret, he's a good manager who doesn't try and re-invent the wheel.

Maybe it’s something to do with learning his trade at the smaller clubs - Gainsborough, Burton (in their non league days), Torquay, Bury etc.
Did that for about twenty years I think before his first ‘big’ club...Sheffield Utd.
The only ‘big’ club he screwed up was his ‘secret agent’ job at Leeds which does actually endear him to me, but managing in the lower leagues is a whole different ball game where you have to be able to sign value for money and understand the value of assembling a team rather than buying up ‘names’.

He is a qualified chiropodist so he must be able to put some magic into the player's feet. His first big club was Notts County who he took from the lowest division to the highest in consecutive seasons, repeating Jimmy Sirrell's earlier feat.

______________________________________Neil warnock1f4f7f9b40d56778487fd8ef6c36d720.jpg

RA think your right with all those things He worked a mira
Love him or loathe him, and it’s far from an even division, you have to hand it to Neil Warnock, winning promotion eight times is a major achievement and he’s certainly got something.
No idea how he does it and on the couple of occasions I’ve seen Cardiff recently they’ve looked no great shakes to me but, like Pulis and even Jim Smith before that...these relatively underachieving footballers have certainly shown some of the ‘superstars’ how to do it in terms of management so...what’s the secret?
RA agree with all that he doesn't complicate the game His teams don't take three passes when one will achieve the same result He always has big powerful defenders He definitely don't do kids He gets his fans and players to believe that nobody likes them He puts as much pressure as he possibly can on the ref and the fourth official every match Do I admire him not really

No disrespect to the ‘pies but Notts County are not, by any stretch of the imagination, a ‘big club’. They’re not even the biggest club in a city which, according to a certain Mr. Clough, isn’t a ‘footballing city’.

No disrespect to the ‘pies but Notts County are not, by any stretch of the imagination, a ‘big club’. They’re not even the biggest club in a city which, according to a certain Mr. Clough, isn’t a ‘footballing city’.

What is this "Big Club" image that Derby fans always try to project. Is it to compensate for living in a small town where the only sign of moderate success has been mostly a second tier football club. I would use the word famous of which Notts County being the oldest league club in the land certainly are, and at the same time of Clough were twice in the top flight. Their ground attendance record is 5000 more than Derby's, so much for a non-footballing city which can support two football league sides.

What is this "Big Club" image that Derby fans always try to project. Is it to compensate for living in a small town where the only sign of moderate success has been mostly a second tier football club. I would use the word famous of which Notts County being the oldest league club in the land certainly are, and at the same time of Clough were twice in the top flight. Their ground attendance record is 5000 more than Derby's, so much for a non-footballing city which can support two footballplop.
Read the properly you prat where does it say Derby are a big club Derby is not a town it's a city Muppet You have a nerve even mentioning attendances 2017 attendence s Notts average 5,962 Forest 20,042 combined total 26,294 Derby average 29,042 you can't even get near us with two teams Everybody knows Nottingham is only famous for two Ice skaters and a bloke in green tights who was born in Donny

What is this "Big Club" image that Derby fans always try to project. Is it to compensate for living in a small town where the only sign of moderate success has been mostly a second tier football club. I would use the word famous of which Notts County being the oldest league club in the land certainly are, and at the same time of Clough were twice in the top flight. Their ground attendance record is 5000 more than Derby's, so much for a non-footballing city which can support two football league sides.

You just don’t get it do you? I haven’t even mentioned Derby, I have made no comment at all about Derby being a big club or otherwise.
The thread was about Warnock’s career but you just jumped in as ever to argue inanely by saying that Notts County are a ‘big club’ and then justified it by saying they were the oldest club and were ‘twice in the top flight at the same time of Clough’, whatever that’s meant to mean.
Okay...oldest does not equal ‘big’, having an average attendance of below 8000 does not equal ‘big’, playing in a stadium that holds fewer than 20000 does not equal ‘big’ and neither does spending most of your history in the bottom two divisions equal ‘big’.
I think Chesterfield, Reading, Port Vale and Grimsby are also amongst the oldest clubs but...surprise, surprise...they’re not ‘big’ clubs either.
I repeat...again with respect - something you rarely show - Notts County may be the oldest club...they are, imo, a very worthy and valued club, but they are NOT a big club.

Last edited:
You just don’t get it do you? I haven’t even mentioned Derby, I have made no comment at all about Derby being a big club or otherwise.
The thread was about Warnock’s career but you just jumped in as ever to argue inanely by saying that Notts County are a ‘big club’ and then justified it by saying they were the oldest club and were ‘twice in the top flight at the same time of Clough’, whatever that’s meant to mean.
Okay...oldest does not equal ‘big’, having an average attendance of below 6000 does not equal ‘big’, playing in a stadium that holds fewer than 20000 does not equal ‘big’ and neither does spending most of your history in the bottom two divisions equal ‘big’.
I think Chesterfield, Reading, Port Vale and Grimsby are also amongst the oldest clubs but...surprise, surprise...they’re not ‘big’ clubs either.
I repeat...again with respect - something you rarely show - Notts County may be the oldest club...they are, imo, a very worthy and valued club, but they are NOT a big club.

A record attendance of 46000, a game at which I was at suggests to me a big club. How many so called big clubs can match that. They may have been in the shadow of Billy Walker,John Carey & Brian Clough for far too long, but that doesn't to say they will always will be.

A record attendance of 46000, a game at which I was at suggests to me a big club. How many so called big clubs can match that. They may have been in the shadow of Billy Walker,John Carey & Brian Clough for far too long, but that doesn't to say they will always will be.

Give me strength! Have you had a bypass as far as reason is concerned? Are you related to R4J/DDD or whatever he’s called?

Have it your own way...Notts County are a indeed a ‘big club’...they must be because they’re very old, they once attracted a crowd of 46,000 and you were there. Makes perfect sense...I give up.

P.S. Over 47500 people watched Wimbledon play Spurs earlier this year...those Dons must be flippin’ huge!

46K is, indeed, more than we have had for a single game, either at PP or at the BBG. Basie can't be faulted factually on that score.

What constitutes a "big" club? That seems to be the underlying cause of the apparent lack of consensus.

To me it is a club that has a long and a rich history. That will include, but doesn't have to, some trophies. It will include a large fan base. It will also include home gates that have a high % of the capacity.

Top of the "big " list will be the obvious names..... 2 x Manc, 2 x 'Pool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs. Toon will also be in there. Sunderland, despite their current plight almost in the top group, something of a yo yo club bouncing between big and biggish.

Under these you have the biggish clubs. Clubs with a chequered history, a decent trophy cabinet, decent crowds but haven't won anything of note of late...... Derby, Leeds, Forest, Wendy, Wolves, Fulham, Ipswich, Norwich, Soton.

Folk will agree with most of my choices and my parameters I think but there will be teams I have included some will disagree with and others they think I have, erroneously, left out.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

I think Villa fans would have cause for grievance MA...... and Fulham? Really - have they ever won anything? West Ham maybe.

But we nitpick - in principal I agree

Give me strength! Have you had a bypass as far as reason is concerned? Are you related to R4J/DDD or whatever he’s called?

Have it your own way...Notts County are a indeed a ‘big club’...they must be because they’re very old, they once attracted a crowd of 46,000 and you were there. Makes perfect sense...I give up.

P.S. Over 47500 people watched Wimbledon play Spurs earlier this year...those Dons must be flippin’ huge!

Wimbledon don't have any history though.:throw:

46K is, indeed, more than we have had for a single game, either at PP or at the BBG. Basie can't be faulted factually on that score.

What constitutes a "big" club? That seems to be the underlying cause of the apparent lack of consensus.

To me it is a club that has a long and a rich history. That will include, but doesn't have to, some trophies. It will include a large fan base. It will also include home gates that have a high % of the capacity.

Top of the "big " list will be the obvious names..... 2 x Manc, 2 x 'Pool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs. Toon will also be in there. Sunderland, despite their current plight almost in the top group, something of a yo yo club bouncing between big and biggish.

Under these you have the biggish clubs. Clubs with a chequered history, a decent trophy cabinet, decent crowds but haven't won anything of note of late...... Derby, Leeds, Forest, Wendy, Wolves, Fulham, Ipswich, Norwich, Soton.

Folk will agree with most of my choices and my parameters I think but there will be teams I have included some will disagree with and others they think I have, erroneously, left out.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Pompey maybe although not obviously at the moment.

Latest Rams News