Warm weather training! | Page 3 | Vital Football

Warm weather training!

It's not perfect, any of it, was wound up myself the other week by the ST postage debacle.
However when you feel that way take a deep breath and be thankful you don't support Bolton ??⚪

Latics have a transfer budget & a wage structure to ensure the long term survival off the club and shouldn't break that or their valuations for any player
That's basic common sense to avoid us ending up like so many other clubs
In that instance either the fee they wanted or how it was structured was beyond what Latics were prepared or able to go to - just coz he turned out to be a good player doesn't mean Latics should have gone beyond that. There are plenty of other players who fall into that bracket and it doesn't mean we should sign them either.

If Windass & Naismith fall into Latics price range then so be it. I'd prefer better players but I don't want the club to spend money it doesn't have coz I want a club to be able to support rather than one that's gone tits up coz they pushed the boat out for good players with money they didn't have
It's called common sense & nowt to do with any substances I may or may not have inhaled!!

Couldn't have put it any better myself. Great post.

Of course I'd love for us to be able to sign Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and win the Champions League. Who wouldn't? Thing is, we're Wigan Athletic and we can't. Realistically, we're a third tier club who even in the Championship are punching above our historical weight. We only need to look at our attendances to see what size of a club we really are.

Being in the Premier League was fantastic, but we can't buy our way back. Football has changed in the last five years. The Championship is just as much a money league as the Premier nowadays, and we can't compete with the likes of Leeds and Wednesday that way.

Whilst we can't buy the players to get promoted, we can make them in the academy. Look at the performances of our youth last year... We have a generation of very talented young players coming through. That's not just dumb luck. That's a few years of investment in youth facilities and training staff.

As a small club in a bigger league, we have to play smart and run the club sustainably. That means patience. I get that that's difficult, especially for the younger generation of fans who think we're a Premier League club, but it's the only way little Wigan are ever going to get back amongst the big boys.

If we can do that, so be it, brilliant. If we don't, I'll support a club in the lower leagues for the rest of my life if that's what fate has in store for us, because it's the team I support, it's my local team. Much better that than have a couple of years of success then bankruptcy and no club at all.