Wales in World Cup | Page 2 | Vital Football

Wales in World Cup

3-0 down and down to the me so take off Sam's and bring Maguire on whose only contribution was to fashion a bloody big hole in our defence for Hungary to walk through for the fourth.

World cup semi finalists...you must be joking.

World 2018, didn’t we lose 3 times? As soon as we went against a half decent team we were poor and got schooled. Also scraped past games that should easily be comfortable.

man’s in the euros, only decent side we beat were a poor Germany side that were mid rebuild, we struggled in the group stages and only team we looked comfortable vs was a poor Ukraine side.
Italy had a few key players out and we just let them get back in, and the decisions he made in that game were baffling.

I never rated Southgate and obviously people are seeing the flaws now, media and the fa love him only because of politics

Imagine caring one jot about these pointless games. The players don't want to play them, they want a well earned holiday after a long club season and I don't blame them. Someone wake me up when it's World Cup time and England games actually matter.

If we play like tonight in the World cup we won't get out of the group stages.

Absolutely awful.:poop::poop::poop:

Mind you the cricket was fantastic. Well done Stokes, Bairstow, Root & Co. :wahey:
The Aussies will be celebrating after that win, as it'll keep Bairstow in the side for another year.

World 2018, didn’t we lose 3 times? As soon as we went against a half decent team we were poor and got schooled. Also scraped past games that should easily be comfortable.

man’s in the euros, only decent side we beat were a poor Germany side that were mid rebuild, we struggled in the group stages and only team we looked comfortable vs was a poor Ukraine side.
Italy had a few key players out and we just let them get back in, and the decisions he made in that game were baffling.

I never rated Southgate and obviously people are seeing the flaws now, media and the fa love him only because of politics

You can say that about loads of teams who win competitions & tournaments - hell I've even heard & read people saying it about Latics glorious FA Cup triumph. And the French for years said we only won in '66 coz they rigged the draw to ensure all the England games were played at Wembley
I know people who still rave about Terry Venables as England manager but prior to Euro 96 he was getting all sorts of stick, as were the players hence why all that dentists chair stuff caused such a furore, coz performances were rubbish - people then remember a great tournament, but we were garbage against Switzerland, not much better (Gazza goal aside) against Scotland, admittedly great against the Dutch, scraped past Spain on pens & lost to the Germans again.

Yes he makes mistakes but no other England manager has got us to a World Cup Semi final & a European Championship final at all, let alone in his first 2 tournaments - losing just 1 qualifier out of 28 games

You can say that about loads of teams who win competitions & tournaments - hell I've even heard & read people saying it about Latics glorious FA Cup triumph. And the French for years said we only won in '66 coz they rigged the draw to ensure all the England games were played at Wembley
I know people who still rave about Terry Venables as England manager but prior to Euro 96 he was getting all sorts of stick, as were the players hence why all that dentists chair stuff caused such a furore, coz performances were rubbish - people then remember a great tournament, but we were garbage against Switzerland, not much better (Gazza goal aside) against Scotland, admittedly great against the Dutch, scraped past Spain on pens & lost to the Germans again.

Yes he makes mistakes but no other England manager has got us to a World Cup Semi final & a European Championship final at all, let alone in his first 2 tournaments - losing just 1 qualifier out of 28 games

Difference is, Wigan still beat Everton 3-0 on their own patch, and we beat City in the final, Southgate would have never done that, with much better players, and vs opposition where, lets face it, should be beating anyway.

"We were poor and got schooled". Yeah, losing in extra time by a one-goal margin. Definitely been schooled there.

"Italy had a few key players out". Name them, other than one left-back from Roma? We lost, via a penalty shootout. Please do explain how that is in any way Southgate's fault? We didn't let Italy back in, they forced their way back in because they have a team full of quality players and leaders such as Chiellini and Bonucci, who have played in numerous major finals for club and country, winning more trophies than Harry Kane has had hot dinners.

Honestly, we've got the ficklest fans in the world. You can guarantee they'll all be belting out "Southgate you're the one" when we're in the knockouts again.

Wales to win the group England second. Both my teams through but not in the order i expected

TBH Taff if we play like we have in the last four games it will be Wales and the good o'l US of A that top the group and us coming home with our tails between our legs.

Difference is, Wigan still beat Everton 3-0 on their own patch, and we beat City in the final, Southgate would have never done that, with much better players, and vs opposition where, lets face it, should be beating anyway.

And a Southgate team would probably never have been beaten 9-1 at Spurs, 8-0 at Chelsea etc..
He's done better in tournaments than any other England manager, I read earlier today that he has the 2nd best win ratio of any England manager & people are still whining
I've read in this thread that he's wasted out best squad in generations by losing in a final (on pens) & a semi final (in extra time) - have people forgotten the supposed "Golden Generation" who produced the sum total of doodley squat?

And a Southgate team would probably never have been beaten 9-1 at Spurs, 8-0 at Chelsea etc..
He's done better in tournaments than any other England manager, I read earlier today that he has the 2nd best win ratio of any England manager & people are still whining
I've read in this thread that he's wasted out best squad in generations by losing in a final (on pens) & a semi final (in extra time) - have people forgotten the supposed "Golden Generation" who produced the sum total of doodley squat?

The point is MB that managers have a sell by date and sometimes run out of ideas.

Are we seeing that Southgate has reached his limit, or is this, like some are suggesting, that the players are exhausted and not up for it.

If it is the latter, then why play them, why not come clean in the press conference and say that he will not be playing his normal players who need to be rested but will instead be using other players who have not had a similar hard season.

Similar in effect to what most club managers do with cup competitions.

By the way, I am not one of those calling for Southgate to go, I believe in allowing managers who make mistakes the time to put things right.

The point is MB that managers have a sell by date and sometimes run out of ideas.

Are we seeing that Southgate has reached his limit, or is this, like some are suggesting, that the players are exhausted and not up for it.

If it is the latter, then why play them, why not come clean in the press conference and say that he will not be playing his normal players who need to be rested but will instead be using other players who have not had a similar hard season.

Similar in effect to what most club managers do with cup competitions.

That could well be the case TB i.e. reached his limit. Time will tell I guess.
My points really were against those who are now saying that he's always been poor & got lucky in tournaments
I'd also say that if he is reaching his limits then, for me personally, I'd need the evidence of more than 4 games in what are in effect glorified friendlies & ones I'd add that we didn't get beaten by either Germany or Italy - last night was nowhere near our strongest line up or formation, neither was the Italy game & neither was the first Hungary game. The only game where it was, was the Germany game & whilst I only saw the 2nd half I thought they were alright.
I get your point about coming clean in his press conferences but I'd have said his intentions were pretty obvious as soon as you saw his line ups. He was experimenting a bit & it didn't work out for him - he experimented the most in both games against the supposed "weakest" team in the group & those in particular backfired on him. Some players will have kissed goodbye to their World Cup chances & others might have enhanced them
All this calling for his head stuff is, IMO, baffling