Vs "The Rangers"/Sevco/New Club | Vital Football

Vs "The Rangers"/Sevco/New Club

wee_od_88

Vital Football Hero
So......Sunday is Scottish Cup Semi-Final day and we face that new club called The Rangers.

Who's confident? Who's worried? Score predictions?

What team would you put out?
Sviatchenko has a chance of being fit but for arguments sake, let's just say he's out.

I'm not confident as I don't feel we've been played well much at all this season. It's been fits and starts, no consistency at all from anyone in the team with the possible exception of Tierney, Griffiths and although not at his best, Lustig has been consistent.
At the same time, I feel that when we do play well, we're more than a match for Rangers. If everyone plays well, we should have no problems but as we know....that's not so likely with our team this season.

Score predictions.....not sure but I don't actually see us keeping a clean sheet that's all I can say!

Team....I'd go with:

Gordon
Lustig - Boyata - Mulgrew - Tierney
Brown - Bitton - Johansen
Roberts - Griffiths - GMS

I'd go with a more solid 3 man midfield so we don't get overrun in midfield but with Brown and Johansen able to get forward and support.
I suppose my only concern is a lack of physicality up front, which is why Deila may go with CKR on the left wing instead of GMS.
I would ideally like Commons in there but it's difficult unless dropping to the 2 man midfield. I just feel that would leave us a little bit exposed in midfield. Both Rangers fullbacks like to get forward and we need to be wary of that.

Celtic have been shite! We're not set up to beat Rangers. Need to make changes or we'll lose but this is the problem with Deila. This game shows why he can't remain in charge, regardless of whether we end up winning the game. In a 10min period the possession was 78% to Rangers.....they've also got a man to play it to and were too busy marking space rather than men!

The goal was fortunate, mistake from Brown but Roberts should have scored. Overall play, Rangers deserve to be winning. Simple as that unfortunately!

I don't think that's the case at this point. We've been better in the second half, making for an even 90 minutes. But to your point, we should be able to win this 3-1 in regular time. Deila has to go. Same 4-2-3-1 tactics every time. And everyone knows how to play it.

1-1 the fair result at the end of the 90 but that's not good enough for us. How can we expect to do anything in Europe if we can't beat this Rangers team?

Fair play.....hell of a good strike for that goal! We look a lot more knackered than they do!

Can't argue really. It was an even game but we should have been much better and we didn't even look fitter than them.

I imagine there will be a number of Celtic fans going home to get the pitchforks and torches and then heading to Celtic Park to call for Deila's head!

And rightly so. I said two years ago that he was the wrong guy and have not wavered. Now just get him out and sign Moyes before he signs for Villa.

The bookies and all the talk will be about Deila going from now until the end of the season! I really think he will now too. Today's performance showed how the team is no longer delivering the style of play, the fitness or anything that he said he'd bring. It was better for him last season but this season just hasn't worked out for him.

From STV: http://stv.tv/sport/football/1350897-emotional-deila-wont-think-about-his-future-at-celtic-manager/

I think Ronny knows he will be gone in the summer. He's not saying anything now because he will be allowed to leave in a more dignified manner in the summer rather than being sacked 5 games before the end of the season.
It seems to be a shared consensus that Deila will see out the season. The search should already be underway though.
As for Collins and Kennedy......I don't know what, if anything Collins has brought to the party, Kennedy is still a young coach and I believe he could still stay on under a new manager and continue his learning.

Apparently we were set to start a new season ticket drive this morning. Hoping a win over Rangers would spur supporters on to renew their tickets.

Kennedy should still be coaching at U-21 level. Collins can fuck off. I don't hate Deila. In some ways I feel bad for him. There are rumors that Lennon is coming in, whether as caretaker or permanent manager I don't know.

I kind of agree about Kennedy. He did his coaching for a year or 2 at that level and I believe the idea was for him to learn more from Deila. It's clear he's certainly not ready to take over but he should continue taking the Development squad but I'd like to see him still work with and learn from whoever replaces Deila.
I like Deila and in an ideal world it would have worked out for him but unfortunately it hasn't. I liked some of his thinking and philosophy too, but it really had to be mixed with a formation that worked for us. He's not had a great time with his signings either, they've mainly been poor but I think some could be better in a better system.

Lennon wouldn't comment on the job and I honestly don't believe Deila will be sacked before the end of the season so it certainly won't be a caretaker role. I think it's just wishful thinking on the part of some supporters!

Hi All - I hope Kennedy stays as he cant foot the blame - on the other hand JC has to go along with RD. How long does it take to get the team playing his way? There is no sign of an improvement. As far as I could see there were several players giving 50% and that shouts out unhappy dressing room!?

Hi Ant! :emoticon:14

Good to have another voice on here.

I agree with you and the lack of effort from players could stem from them being a bit fed up and Ronny has lost them a bit. I don't know that's the case quite yet but it's certainly a possibility!

Who would you like to see replace Deila? I know a lot of fans would take Lennon back but if he wasn't an option, who else might you go with?

I would love to see Larsson as a manager partnership with ???? (someone with good c.v.) , but more realistically Moyes if he got full control. I feel Lennon would be a backwards step - although I know he would get the dressing room pulling in one direction. Who would u go for wee_od_88?

I think that would be a dream appointment one day.....but he's not proving to be a great manager in Sweden yet. I don't see us taking a chance on him until he really proves himself. Helsingborgs have become a selling club and are struggling to hold onto their best players these days it seems so that doesn't help him but he's still been struggling to get results.

Moyes is still a good shout in my opinion, I'm just not sure how he'd be at working with our sort of budget. However he has done well at setting up a good scouting system and youth system at Everton when you look at some of talent that is now coming out in to the team.

Brendan Rodgers was one that was mentioned to me by a Liverpool fan earlier. I wouldn't say no to him!

It really depends which way we want to go. There is a very highly rated French manager who is going to be on the move this summer. He is currently in charge of EA Guingamp, he's young and has taken them from the 3rd division to Ligue1 and kept them there for 3 or 4 years on a shoestring budget while finding some gems that have been sold on for good money. He has however told them that he won't be signing a new contract and is looking to move on. It depends on who else wants him but with the chance to test himself in European competition, we could be a very tempting offer for him!

As long as we don't go for Alan Stubbs I'll be happy. I don't think he's ready yet and the way Hibs have performed recently shows that he's not ready to manage us.

News reports in Norway are saying that Deila will quit at the end of the season. It goes with what has been assumed up until now but this is a firm report to confirm it now.

Latest Celtic News