vs Hearts | Page 8 | Vital Football

vs Hearts

Great win (not the greatest game to watch) and what an achievement from the whole squad!

It was a nice touch to give Kris Commons a special mention and to allow him out there to celebrate with the rest of the squad. Same for Ambrose, it was nice to include them in the celebrations before they leave us. As much as nobody will be terribly sad to see Ambrose leave, he's such a nice guy that everyone would wish him well and so it was nice to see him at the celebrations yesterday!

I agree with welch about this team in Europe. Now that Rodgers has worked with them and got them playing to a better standard, I think we could be better in Europe than we were earlier this season. Next season's push for Europe should be more enjoyable if we can strengthen the team a little and make sure we keep hold of some key players!

FLAG DAY! At home to Hearts, who have no manager :emoticon:19 Poor Hearts but I think with the way things have been going for them, it will be they who are waving the flag by the end of this one! :emoticon:88

There are 2 rather key players we need for the upcoming CL qualifiers, Griffiths and Simunovic and for that reason alone, most would probably hope that neither will play until the qualifiers! Wrap them up in cotton wool and make sure they stay fit! However we know that won't happen. I don't know if Griff is fit enough to start today but I imagine he will but will only play maybe 60mins or so.

I think we'll see:
Gordon
Lustig - Simunovic - Ajer - Tierney
McGregor - Brown - Armstrong
Forrest - Sinclair
Griff

Subs: DDV, Bitton, Gamboa, Ntcham, Rogic, Hayes, Kouassi

Well I got it a bit wrong. Partly because Rodgers has changed the shape a little bit.

Gordon
Lustig - Bitton - Simunovic - Tierney
Ntcham - Brown
Forrest - McGregor - Sinclair
Griffiths

Subs: DDV, Ajer, Armstrong, Ralston, Rogic, Hayes, Kouassi

I hoped we would see Ntcham over Armstrong. It's a good lineup, though I'd have Rogic instead of McGregor.

Superb intricate move from Celtic and so close to the 2nd goal

Ht 1-0

72% possession

Had to go out so missed the first 25 mins.

Hertz shouldn't finish this with 12 men. Thugs lining up to boots Celtic players.

Griff is on fire. Some great possession and interchanges from us in a dominant 45.
Should have another goal or two to show for it.

Total domination from Celtic today. Scored 4 but it could have been double that.

Other than Gordon's blooper the starting XI all performed well. Hayes did a turn when he came on too. Think Cal Mac was given MOTM and rightly so although I feel Griff would have bagged at least a hat-trick had he not been subbed.

Some really excellent passing, movement and interchanges all over the park.

:emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01

Only saw the first half but pretty much what I expected. Sloppy goal we gave them but otherwise a good performance. Some good passing play and some great individual performances.
However, what I would say is that Hearts are probably one of the worst teams in the SPFL right now and we'll come up against better teams this season.....even taking out who we expect in the top 6! It's a good moral booster and a good run out for us and great to have Griffiths back on the pitch and scoring goals but I'm certainly not getting carried away.

We play Kilmarnock in the Cup on Tuesday night and BR has said he will not risk playing Simunovic on the plastic pitch. It will be interesting to see who else all drop out from the weekend's starting XI.

Lunch-time kick off this Sunday away to Hearts.

Today's team:

Gordon
Lustig - Simunovic - Boyata - Tierney
Forrest - Brown - Ntcham - Sinclair
McGregor
Griffiths

Subs: DDV, Ajer, Dembele, Edouard, Hayes, Armstrong and Kouassi

We've not really managed to get going so far in this game. 10mins in and it's very scrappy. Hearts are working really hard to close us down and press us VERY high up the pitch! As a result we're resorting to knocking it long but with Griffiths up front, it's not able to stick. We've had a couple of breaks down the wings which just haven't quite come to anything so it might not take much for a goal to come.
Will wait and see how the game settles down a bit. They've had a few chances but one was offside and the others have been high and wide.

We're giving the ball away a lot! Hearts are passing it around a LOT better than we are so far. That tells me that we're not working hard enough to close them down and make space when we do have the ball.

Latest Celtic News