vs Charlton | Page 4 | Vital Football

vs Charlton

Fair result; Charlton looked poor at the back
Gills MoM Graham as usual - Bonham penalty save excellent
Ogilivie mistake for their goal - altho tbf he had one of his better games
Not sure why Akinde not starting - fitness?

So onto the key game v Wombles, when we will see how Evans approaches a game when we are strong favourites, and wont be able to talk up the opposition' as they seem to take our rejects - can we play on the front foot?

You can add that our pen was stonewall and theirs was a blatant dive by their untouched forward. :-)

As I said above, both soft penalties from a defending and refereeing point of view for me. I thought the referee gave a lot of soft fouls throughout to be honest, but was fairly even handed in doing it, so can't complain too much.

So onto the key game v Wombles, when we will see how Evans approaches a game when we are strong favourites, and wont be able to talk up the opposition' as they seem to take our rejects - can we play on the front foot?

Don't want to sound negative but why are we strong favourites??
The Wombles are above us in the table, have a better goal difference, are on an unbeaten run.

We certainly held our own and although they had plenty of possession we weren't dragged all over the place and didn't concede a string of crosses and opportunities. Their goal wasn't a great moment for our defence but that was a good shift against two good pairs of strikers at this level. Graham had fewer opportunities than usual against a very good Maatsen but was still very effective and put the penalty away.

Slightly more optiistic after that game as I felt the younger players looked more comfortable than earlier in the season. Medley making good progress in my opinion. We really need to find a way to get more from Samuel, who has the talent to win games.

I can't post from my new smartphone without hitting wrong symbols.

Last edited:
For a team with a lot bigger budget than ours, who'd just gone storming up the league with 6 wins on the trot, and could have gone top had they won today, I thought Charlton were poor. Had Oliver scored with his one on one just before they scored, it should have been 3 precious points. Just goes to show there's not a great deal between the teams in this division.

As I said above, both soft penalties from a defending and refereeing point of view for me. I thought the referee gave a lot of soft fouls throughout to be honest, but was fairly even handed in doing it, so can't complain too much.
Quite right and I was just jesting, not having a dig (even if it looked like it).
:-)

Have to remember this is a six o'clock kickoff.

I don't think there are many standout teams in league one this year. The only team who impressed me attacking wise were Oxford and they are at completely the wrong end of the table.

Decent performance from the Gills, undone by poor defending for the equaliser.

My only real concern is that we only have one real attacking outlet in Graham. Team will get wise to that and once they work out how to stop him we might struggle to create much.

Decent watch on the TV - just wish we would have more normal KO time. 6 PM on Tuesday and then isn't there one Tuesday that kicks off at 5:30 ?

It’s good to see Akinde playing well when he came on, my Charlton mate noticed him and wondered why he wasn’t started. It’s frustrating that probably our two biggest earners are glorified impact subs at the moment - definitely time to start Akinde for a game or two to see if he’s able to be consistently effective when starting. With an Akinde with the bit between his teeth it’ll hopefully give Samuel a shot in the arm and we’ll finally have some real threats up top alongside Oliver and Graham.

Onwards and upwards once again for Gills after our blip.

Even where we might be 'strong favourites' going into a game against the Kingston Wombles- and I'm not quite convinced we are- there seems to be a recent tendency for us to lose to them. Especially where former Gills (like Wagstaff last season, for example) suddenly play the game of their lives against us

They are our bogey team. And forgive the analogy, but they are the massive genital wart on an otherwise flawless m1nge!

As for yesterday's game, I think it was a point earned/gained rather than two points lost, especially when you consider that Charlton went to Fratton Park and comprehensively outplayed Pompey on their own patch (a team who are almost certain to finish somewhere in top 6 come May).

But still frustrating to consider that there were one or two opportunities for us to win the game.

Also not sure if the window-lickers fat shaming Steve Evans have looked in the mirrors lately, considering that quite a number of their fans seem to have waistlines bigger than 42" or 44" whenever I'm down in Bluewater or Bexleyheath!

One of theirs referred to us as a "down market Millwall." I think value-conscious Millwall might have been nicer.

[ the Kingston Wombles-

They are our bogey team. And forgive the analogy, but they are the massive genital wart on an otherwise flawless m1nge![/QUOTE]

Kingston Wombles no more. They are back at Plough Lane.

For any Charlton fans reading this forum: We should really be beating the likes of Charlton, a shabby South London team with rapidly fading memories of glory.

Wow, that feels better!

There have been quite a few Spotters turning up on Facebook and other forums claiming the same old -

“Should be beating them”
“They played anti-football, couldn’t watch that each week”.
“We battered them”.
“Only one team tried to win it”.
“Ref ensured they got an undeserved point”.

WTAF? as they say.
Must’ve watched a different game to me. I thought we were very good value for a point if not all 3. And at 1-0 we were definitely going for a 2nd, not shutting up shop. That might be where we went slightly wrong.

There have been quite a few Spotters turning up on Facebook and other forums claiming the same old -

“Should be beating them”
“They played anti-football, couldn’t watch that each week”.
“We battered them”.
“Only one team tried to win it”.
“Ref ensured they got an undeserved point”.

WTAF? as they say.
Must’ve watched a different game to me. I thought we were very good value for a point if not all 3. And at 1-0 we were definitely going for a 2nd, not shutting up shop. That might be where we went slightly wrong.
In reality it was a game that could have gone to them or us .There were the opportunities for both sides to have taken all the points.

Bowyer quoted as saying that on another day they could have scored four, then going on to say:
"We moved the ball the best I’ve seen us move it and we didn’t get sucked into their game. We kept on passing the ball, even when we went one down, and got a deserved point"

Actually, that's not too bad for him. He didn't say that we couldn't have scored four as well, or that they actually deserved to WIN.

Also said he thought both penalties were soft and that the ref had decided to even them up.

On Quest, they said that Gunter tripped over his own feet and unintentionally tripped Akinde at the same time and, watching it again, I think they are right. Still makes it a penalty, though.

I also think Amos was faultless and would have been a prime candidate for their MOM which indicates something.