Void the season? | Vital Football

Void the season?

Spursex

Alert Team
As Premier League officials pored over documents when the coronavirus crisis first began to spread, a simple but stark reality became apparent: there was absolutely no provision for a situation like this. It was never considered that football could just stop.
That vacuum has started up intense discussion about what can be done next, with all manner of solutions encouraged, but one of the more drastic suggestions has picked up momentum in the last few days.

That is to void the season.

It was an idea that two clubs intimated support for on the night the Premier League was finally postponed on 12 March, with West Ham United’s Karren Brady then revealing her backing in a newspaper column that Saturday. The backlash to that saw the proposal temporarily shelved, but the ongoing uncertainty has seen some figures come back to it. At least four clubs now favour it, with Harry Kane then adding his backing on Sunday. Figures like Kane speaking out has fostered a feeling the momentum behind it could grow, especially the longer the postponement goes on without any solution.

But does that actually mean voiding the season is even possible? What are the technicalities and merits to the idea? What would it actually entail, and what would it mean?

Well, it would mean exactly what the word does: voided. The 2019-20 season would be expunged. “It won’t have happened,” one figure centrally involved in discussions told The Independent. That would mean the “2020-21” season - which is virtually certain to be greatly truncated no matter what - would really just be the 2019-20 season restarted, making the entire enterprise somewhat farcical when eight months of it have already been played. All of the results and records of that period would meanwhile be wiped, and it’s a wonder whether Kane would feel the same if he was told all of his goals wouldn’t count.
Most pressingly, though, the broadcasters would have legal and contractual right to demand money back. This is the source of the very real concerns that the Premier League clubs would collectively lose up to £1.2bn if the season is voided. It also leads to real-world concerns, beyond the trivialities in football. Take £1.2bn out of an industry, especially at a time of depression, and that's a lot of jobs lost. They won't be the most financially insulated jobs either.
This is why the vast majority of the clubs are determined - some sources would say “desperate” - to complete the campaign.

All of the current top-half teams are in that camp, even if some of their supporters are not. That in itself touches on the deeper complexity of this problem.
For all the fixation on Liverpool “getting their title”, the real debate is lower down the table. There lies the greatest argument against voiding the season, because of the multitude of complications it would cause.

“It really would be the worst of all solutions,” one source says. “If it came to it, no one in their right mind would vote against Liverpool being champions, but the bottom would be a mess. It would actually be more justifiable to void the season at the top than the bottom.”

It’s also where it has the potential to get political. Four bottom-half clubs are said to be in favour of voiding the season because they feel that the money guaranteed from staying in the Premier League for another campaign would be greater than any money they have to give back to broadcasters.

This is what the entire debate will really come down to: what clubs will be able to count up to. It really is about the hard sums. Money will be the determining factor everywhere.

Hence, whatever about any emotional concerns based on rivalry from those on the outside of the game, the majority of clubs want to try and complete the season - whenever that is.
If that were to shift, however, there is the issue that a vote among the 20 top clubs alone would not be enough.

The regulations and agreements dictate that the Premier League cannot unilaterally void a season without the agreement of the Football Association and the English Football League. For the same reasons, the top division can’t just decide to re-align relegation so it’s one up, one down rather than three up, three down.

And the EFL’s position is unequivocal: they are determined to finish the season, no matter when that may be. That is down to motivations much greater than any of the Premier League's reasons. It centres around the very survival of tranches of clubs. There are estimations up to 45 clubs could go out of business.

As such, the EFL's position won't be changing, and that effectively locks the Premier League in. It is there where the real potential for legal challenges arise. Multiple sources say that promotion-chasing clubs would have a legitimate argument that they will have suffered extraordinary loss if the Premier League does attempt to void the season and just restart from summer 2019. The expectation is they would be “very aggressive”.
Many who are against voiding the season have meanwhile raised the understandable issue of sporting integrity, but that goes even bigger. There’s the consequential issue of public trust in the competition.
If a league is voided, and the game effectively says certain games don’t matter, it means no result can ever be relied upon. The contract with supporters will have been broken. That could have far deeper repercussions than anything else. And it is all the more pressing given the inevitability that 2020-21 will have to be truncated and postponed at some point, and the greater ease of working around that knowledge, which makes it even more pointless to try and rush a decision on this season.

Rushing it, of course, is the greater problem in all this. Many key figures are uncomfortable with the nature of this debate at a time when so many people are dying and the curve remains steep.

“We shouldn’t be airing grievances about finishing our season now,” one source says. “The time for debate is in a month or so. There’s no point speculating. It’s too early to tell. Football just needs to wait.”
Uefa's mature decision to relax their own position on seasons ending only fortifies this view. There isn't the same pressure.
It’s just the wait can’t go on indefinitely, either. If sporting integrity is obviously a fair rationale for refusing to void the season, it similarly applies to any extended gap in play. If that extends past six months, can it really be fairly considered the same season? Would the teams even be the same?

This is when some feel the situation could change, and the momentum goes back behind the idea. It's why it is still a live possibility, even if a remote one.

That’s if it isn’t killed before then. The Premier League are due to have another call this week, and there is an expectation that they will try and suppress the idea once and for all.

“But you can’t rule anything in or out at the moment. All you can say is the current situation really is unprecedented.”

That means only one thing in all this is certain: the Premier League will be making such provisions in future.

Rock , paper , scissors behind closed doors , best of eleven . Televised live on terrestrial tv . Players standing two metres apart with Peter Crouch laying on the floor to preserve the correct distance .
VAR to determine hands are correctly behind their backs and do not move before the ref blows the whistle .
Mike Dean loves this sort of scenario, it’s right up his street , really taking centre stage .

I think 5/6 of the games should all be scored 0-0. Nobody's goal difference will be effected. Then play out the remaining 4 games in a two week period behind closed doors. This could potentially be okay by July to do so.

The longer this goes on the potential to start the new season will be very difficult. I suppose what would be more important? Finishing the rest of this season or starting the new up and coming season?

From a selfish point of view I couldn't careless if the season ended now. It's been so shite I would love to have it scrapped.

Stopping them scouse feckers winning the title would be hilarious as well.

I think 5/6 of the games should all be scored 0-0. Nobody's goal difference will be effected. Then play out the remaining 4 games in a two week period behind closed doors. This could potentially be okay by July to do so.

The longer this goes on the potential to start the new season will be very difficult. I suppose what would be more important? Finishing the rest of this season or starting the new up and coming season?

From a selfish point of view I couldn't careless if the season ended now. It's been so shite I would love to have it scrapped.

Stopping them scouse feckers winning the title would be hilarious as well.
Wish I could double “like” that RD (y)(y) . Double thumbs up instead

Strongly feel that the season should be decided on nineteen games, a revised league table based on each Club having played all the other teams once. With one or two adjustments (we played Brighton twice before playing a first fixture against Norwich) this would pretty much equate to the PL table after the December 28/29 fixtures.

Strongly feel that the season should be decided on nineteen games, a revised league table based on each Club having played all the other teams once. With one or two adjustments (we played Brighton twice before playing a first fixture against Norwich) this would pretty much equate to the PL table after the December 28/29 fixtures.

It's my prefered solution; would be tough on the bottom (relegated) clubs; but at adequate (much higher) compensation in the form of parachute payments would probably ease their pain and get to see it as the only way out of this if we cannot play the outstanding games.

Would result in Norwich, Villa and Watford being relegated, and another ten games on to now, nothing much has changed, they are still the most likely to go down if the season were to be completed. Certainly a more convincing case can be made for the Clubs at the top of the Championship at the half way point being promoted.

I think football needs to paint the vision of what it needs to look like in the future and work backwards from that at this opportunity. Instead of aiming to get things back to where they were with short term decisions, build a plan to get them where they need to be. They were broken anyway with clubs suffering financially and the rich getting richer.

I might be tempted to say finish this season whenever and however is possible, take a short sabbatical and then put the next season on a different phasing. Then work to bring it back to the current cycle over time but into a new structure. For me that would include England, Scotland and Wales and only the teams in the top leagues would span those 3 geographies. The rest of the professional and amateur football would be locally based. There would also be a reduction of teams in each division and perhaps the A-teams integrated regionally like we see abroad. All this would help to get it back to August-May eventually in that new format.

This is a time to take the opportunity that presents itself and get through the pain barrier.

Would the sponsors , tv companies , etc only make pro rata payments ?
FFP would go right right out of the window ,for part this part season .

Would the sponsors , tv companies , etc only make pro rata payments ?
FFP would go right right out of the window ,for part this part season .

It's entirely likely that the sponsors, media companies may rely on the contracts and simply say you haven't fulfilled your obligations and so won't be paying you.

The fact is they too will be generating little if any revenue at the money, so may simply decide they can't afford to compromise, most especially if the season cannot be finished.

It's entirely likely that the sponsors, media companies may rely on the contracts and simply say you haven't fulfilled your obligations and so won't be paying you.

The fact is they too will be generating little if any revenue at the money, so may simply decide they can't afford to compromise, most especially if the season cannot be finished.

Caanal plus is using force majuere.

I think it's had it, there is just no sensible way back to normalcy this year, even next years season start looks unlikely to me.

So tend to agree on the outcome, but one clarifying question. When we read that the TV companies pay the Prem League in July and December and the PL pay the clubs in Aug and Feb, is this in advance or arrears of the games played? I'm assuming in advance right?

I'm trying to figure out whether e.g. Spurs would have had the Feb payment for the second half of the season and all or some of that is what is threatened to be reclaimed back by PL and Sky/BT etc. I'm also trying to figure out as we're 75% of the way through the season, that third quarter of the season payment is safe or not. Perhaps the next July payment is the one at risk etc.

Do you have the current understanding of the TV companies to PL to clubs cashflow as it stands?

Play behind closed doors. It would be good for everyone including the population as a whole who need something to look forward to on a weekly basis at least.