Vital Lincoln City - League One Season Preview 2021-22 (Part Two) | Vital Football

Vital Lincoln City - League One Season Preview 2021-22 (Part Two)

It is hard to believe it is only a year since former Premier Leaguers Wigan Athletic were £46 million in debt and facing the prospect of oblivion. Fans protested that theirs was a well-run club despite the truly incredible mountain of debt and prayed for another rich sugar daddy to come along and stop the slide back to non-league football. It did not sound very feasible. Any new owner – if anyone at all could be found to take the rescue on – would surely run the club along proper lines of trading and avoid repeating the errors of the recent past.
Well, a new owner was found, the debts have been eradicated with an offer of 25 pence in the pound to non-football creditors, and it appears to be business as usual under Phoenix 2021. CEO Mal Brannigan believes it will take time to recover, but rumours of eyewatering contracts emerged during the summer as Wigan hoovered up some of the best League One has to offer. Thirty-goal Charlie Wyke joined from Sunderland, citing Wigan’s ambition as his motivation rather than the large signing-on fee and alleged £10,000-per-week contract he had been offered. The most eye-catching signing of all was that of Jordan Cousins from Stoke, although Wigan should have one of the best midfields in the division with no fewer than five high quality arrivals. Jordan Jones impressed while on loan at Sunderland last season, where he played alongside another new Wigan arrival in Max Power. The supply line to newcomers Charlie Wyke (also from Sunderland) and Stephen Humphrys should see Wigan score plenty of goals. Their Achilles’ heel at this point could be the defence, which remains largely unaltered from last season at the time of writing. Wigan’s desire to sign the cream from other League One clubs even extended to their kit man, taking Naz Ali from Accrington.
There were also a number of departures to balance the arrivals including Joe Dodoo and Viv Solomon-Otabor, who eventually rejected contract offers. Given the number and nature of the arrivals, it is perhaps unsurprising that they chose to move elsewhere. Expensive high-profile signings do not guarantee success of course, and the recent history of League One is littered with moneyed big clubs who found escaping the division far tougher than they imagined.

Still coming across as a little salty this Jules lad I see.

And again, ill informed. He's persiting with admin being a result of years of overspending, despite being corrected last year. Like his visit last season it gives some perspective on how others view our plight. I don't blame him, I know sod all about other clubs at this level. Then again I'm not spreading nonsense on their fan boards

And again, ill informed. He's persiting with admin being a result of years of overspending, despite being corrected last year. Like his visit last season it gives some perspective on how others view our plight. I don't blame him, I know sod all about other clubs at this level. Then again I'm not spreading nonsense on their fan boards

Exactly. Ill informed crap. He’s spreading fake news.