Vital Book Club | Vital Football

Vital Book Club

Thanks Pope, I may take advantage of that as have heard how good that book is.

One of my favourite football books is Thirty-One Nil by James Montague. He visits lots of smaller footballing countries as their national teams try to qualify for the 2014 World Cup and goes into detail about the political and cultural issues which are holding back those countries. A great read for those interested in football and learning more about the world: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thirty-One-Nil-Road-Footballs-Outsiders/dp/1408851636

On non-football books I've just finished The Only Plane In The Sky, which covers 9/11 (including the days before and after) from the point of view of civilians, workers in the twin towers and their families, emergency services, politicians, armed forces - just about everyone who was affected by those events.

I've just ordered 'So you've been publicly shamed' by Jon Ronson which has been recommended to me.

The Wreckers by Bella Bathurst about ship wrecks around the U.K. is quite good. The Wisdom of psychopaths by Kevin Dutton & Set the Boy Free Johnny Marr’s autobiography

Football related 50 years of hurt by Henry Winter about the ingerland team & their shitness

Thanks Pope, I may take advantage of that as have heard how good that book is.

One of my favourite football books is Thirty-One Nil by James Montague. He visits lots of smaller footballing countries as their national teams try to qualify for the 2014 World Cup and goes into detail about the political and cultural issues which are holding back those countries. A great read for those interested in football and learning more about the world: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thirty-One-Nil-Road-Footballs-Outsiders/dp/1408851636

On non-football books I've just finished The Only Plane In The Sky, which covers 9/11 (including the days before and after) from the point of view of civilians, workers in the twin towers and their families, emergency services, politicians, armed forces - just about everyone who was affected by those events.

I've just ordered 'So you've been publicly shamed' by Jon Ronson which has been recommended to me.

You've taken me by surprise AC, it's starting to look as though you may have a serious streak to your nature. And there was I thinking that it was all Tommy Cooper and a well developed sense of humour.

:tophat:

Last edited:
Just finished Mantel's Mirror and the Light. Currently reading some history. My "to read" shelf multiplies faster than this virus

Cheers Pope I have just picked that one up.

Don’t tend to read too many football books as they tend to be a bit one dimensional.

Provided you don’t kiss me was a very good read though.

A year or two back they had Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce’s autobiographies going cheap do I picked them up just for something to read.

Going into the books I had always disliked Warnock but quite liked big Sam.

Having read them I found that Warnock came across as a proper football fanatic, someone who lived and breathed the game. Still don’t like his philosophy but I found myself having a bit of respect for him.

Allardyce on the other hand... All me, me me and money, money, money. His life and career revolves around how much he could make and that was in his own words... Having read what he had to say it was no surprise he got caught out the way he did.

All of Wilson's books are great. I still need to get round to reading Angels with Dirty Faces (footballing history of Argentina) and The Names Heard Long Ago (all about how Hungarian football helped to shape the modern game).

I liked his fishing program chap. Always so jolly and full of laughter.

Trap 2 is in LOCKDOWN as YOU well know you little tinker. NOTHING is getting out which you’d know if you weren’t snerting like a shitehawk wouldn’t you, well wouldn’t you?

That wee baastart shitehawk snert knows NOTHING Woanz. He will be punching his 2 incher thinking that he has one over on us, but when the EAST side is developed and the incinerator moved from its current position, to OVER the TRENT, the quality of musing on the wall of TRAP 2 will improve. Not that I care a jot. I am too busy entertaining guests on my yacht which is moored on the Grantham Canal. To HELL with your social distancing, The Major needs a shoulder rub, and he needs one now.

That wee baastart shitehawk snert knows NOTHING Woanz. He will be punching his 2 incher thinking that he has one over on us, but when the EAST side is developed and the incinerator moved from its current position, to OVER the TRENT, the quality of musing on the wall of TRAP 2 will improve. Not that I care a jot. I am too busy entertaining guests on my yacht which is moored on the Grantham Canal. To HELL with your social distancing, The Major needs a shoulder rub, and he needs one now.

I am (w)anchored on my yacht at Soar Bottom currently, Depche Mode on the stero, Brie at room temperature & the beer chilled. I care not a jot about trap 2 but am calm but nervous about the LOCKDOWN as you WELL know. Word down here is the renovations will mean larger stalls so further literature can be written on the door & walls of trap 2, so Flakez can hopefully write more information about services offered rather than just his number.

I would say read in this order

The things they carried
Then
Down and out in Paris and London
Then
Nineteen Eighty Four

I would also say take an interest in William Butler Yeats and in particular his poems for/about Maud Gonne if you really want to understand where the IRA was conceived

Saturday Night & Sunday morning or loneliness of long distance runner are good & Notts related.