Vital Book Club | Page 4 | Vital Football

Vital Book Club

No mention of The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists?

Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins is brilliant

If any of you prefer something a bit lighter which you can put down and pick up
when it suits try Robert B. Parker, he's American and that normally puts me off but this bloke strikes a chord. I think I've probably read all of his at one time or another and have still kept some to read a second time.

im reading the dble helix by James Watson.. all this virus n DNA talk....
not quite light reading but fascinating to a wannabe biologist and worth checking out the author for anyone interested in such trivia

im reading the dble helix by James Watson.. all this virus n DNA talk....
not quite light reading but fascinating to a wannabe biologist and worth checking out the author for anyone interested in such trivia
The author is a Grade A twonk.

No.

Best book I've read recently; The Institute by Stephen King.

Big fan of his anyway, this is one of this latest. Really couldn't put it down

Thank goodness. One or two books mentioned i might have a look at.

Non fiction its all social policy and international relations that would kill most of you with boredom (some of them nearly take me down as well).

Fiction, james ellroy does a few nice crime novels. Dan simmons is also worth a read.

Thank goodness. One or two books mentioned i might have a look at.

Non fiction its all social policy and international relations that would kill most of you with boredom (some of them nearly take me down as well).

Fiction, james ellroy does a few nice crime novels. Dan simmons is also worth a read.
I have read The Terror, which I thought was excellent but perhaps disappeared up its own arse a bit right at the end. I have Carrion Comfort on my shelf to read at some point as well.

Anyone on here who likes Stephen King as I do should really read his son Joe Hill, who is a brilliant writer in his own right (but unfortunately no where near as prolific). Went to an "evening with" at Waterstones Nottingham a couple of years ago and Joe came across as a really sound bloke.

I've been getting hugely into Haruki Murakami. Nice 'magical realism' (think David Lynch in book form) usually pretty creepy/weird and psychological. Would highly recommend 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle'.
Also finished the Dune series recently, which was amazing. Can't wait for the new films.

I've been getting hugely into Haruki Murakami. Nice 'magical realism' (think David Lynch in book form) usually pretty creepy/weird and psychological. Would highly recommend 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle'.
Also finished the Dune series recently, which was amazing. Can't wait for the new films.
Have you read the 1Q84 books? Beautifully, mystifyingly weird.

Read the first Dune as a teenager but the others seemed like hard work

Have you read the 1Q84 books? Beautifully, mystifyingly weird.

Read the first Dune as a teenager but the others seemed like hard work
yes 1Q84 is amazing! Really great.
Dune gets difficult but then gets really good. The God Emperor of Dune is probably my favourite one. Very political.

I think the rest of the chaps on here are out of their depth with your reading knowledge chap. By the way chap did you ever finish Mr Jelly which you borrowed prior to lockdown?

I had a bit of wobble half way through reading it chap but I am set on finishing it this weekend

I have read The Terror, which I thought was excellent but perhaps disappeared up its own arse a bit right at the end. I have Carrion Comfort on my shelf to read at some point as well.

Anyone on here who likes Stephen King as I do should really read his son Joe Hill, who is a brilliant writer in his own right (but unfortunately no where near as prolific). Went to an "evening with" at Waterstones Nottingham a couple of years ago and Joe came across as a really sound bloke.

Carrion comfort is an excellent read.

found a book on making cheese from goats milk haha dunno why i bought it, prob cos was 50c, trying to milk a pygmy is a struggle!
Actually ive only done it to stop swelling, i think it tastes gross