Vital Book Club | Page 3 | Vital Football

Vital Book Club

Having been furloughed for 4 weeks :-0 I've picked up Papillon to read again. love it.

Not a book, but has anyone seen 'The English Game' on Netflix?
Great watch, and being Julian Fellows looks fantastic too,

Anything by Graham Greene you pseud fucks

Yes old boy, Greene is always a good read

Just re read Our Man in Havana and will be starting the Quiet American very shortly.

A good few of Le Carre's books are well worth reading; The Honourable Schoolboy, the middle one of the Smiley trilogy, is an excellent read, as are A Most Wanted Man and Absolute Friends.

I enjoyed reading A Season With Verona by Tim Parks.

Currently reading When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and the third Game Of Thrones book. Can't even remember what it's called. Something like A Clash of Swords,or some such bollox.

Yes old boy, Greene is always a good read

Just re read Our Man in Havana and will be starting the Quiet American very shortly.

A good few of Le Carre's books are well worth reading; The Honourable Schoolboy, the middle one of the Smiley trilogy, is an excellent read, as are A Most Wanted Man and Absolute Friends.

It's not just a good few of Greenes and Le Carre's books mao, it's ALL of them.
And I'm on my second read now and they're still just as good.

I've had very mixed experiences with Le Carre.

Loved the Constant Gardener

Read The Night Manager and found it unbelievably boring and the ending absolute twaddle. Put me off trying more.

Have read SSGB by Deighton and loved it

I've had very mixed experiences with Le Carre.

Loved the Constant Gardener

Read The Night Manager and found it unbelievably boring and the ending absolute twaddle. Put me off trying more.

Have read SSGB by Deighton and loved it

I thought the Night Manager was quite poor by Le Carre's standards.

The Constant Gardner was very good; his depiction of the Kibera slums was incredibly vivid.

The first two books of the Smiley trilogy are great; The Tailor of Panama is a pastiche of Our Man in Havana but entertaining nevertheless.

The Little Drummer Girl is very good; the serialisation on BBC did not do it justice.

Single and Single is excellent.

Our Kind Of Traitor is good, but his best two for me are A Most Wanted Man and Absolute Friends.

Both are topical and incredibly thought provoking.

Marching Powder by Rusty Young is a good read. True story about a British drug smuggler who gets double crossed and sent to San Pedro prison, Bolivia. Lets say the prison system over there is slightly different to ours.

All of Wilson's books are great. I still need to get round to reading Angels with Dirty Faces (footballing history of Argentina) and The Names Heard Long Ago (all about how Hungarian football helped to shape the modern game).

My copy of Angels with Dirty Faces arrived today.

After the first two chapters it looks like one of those books you do not want to put down.

Forest get a distinguished mention after being the second English Club to visit Argentina in 1905; one of the Clubs they played, Independiente, were so impressed they ditched their white shirts and adopted the Garibaldi, which they still play in.

For those who enjoy Len Deighton and Le Carre have a go at Donald James, he hasn't written many but he's good, and a bit different. For starters read Monstrum or Gorky Park. I've read both of those twice and still have them for future reading.

For those who enjoy Len Deighton and Le Carre have a go at Donald James, he hasn't written many but he's good, and a bit different. For starters read Monstrum or Gorky Park. I've read both of those twice and still have them for future reading.

I have read Gorky Park, ORF; very good read.

Are you sure it is a Donald James book?

Martin Cruz Smith springs to mind

Yes chaps you're right, apologies, I've read all the books written by Martin Cruz Smith and Donald James and they are all excellent. I got carried away with enthusiasm. The biggest problem with both of them is that they just didn't write enough. I think that Cruz Smith is probably my long time favourite but I still have all their books kept for future reading. Third time for some of them.

I'd sooner read a good book twice than a bad book once.