Visits to Wembley and what was your best experience | Page 3 | Vital Football

Visits to Wembley and what was your best experience

71 for me. A certain Martin Chivers got the goals for spurs. Made no difference the players came over to applaud us at the end and to a man said that could not believe the support we had given them. Remember them saying our reaction at the final whistle was as if we had won it. Back then they used to print a voucher on the back page of the programme, the more vouchers you had the more chance of getting a ticket. Travelled down by train on a football special. It was my first time at Wembley and the memory will stay with me forever.

Yes a great day! Lochhead should’ve scored for us. I remember watching Gilzean and thinking what a Rolls Royce of a player, what class. But it was special because we were back in the big time, yes Aston Villa were back!

My first and probably best visit was 94 against a treble chasing Manure. After listening to my Dads tales of the 70's cup finals it was great to finally experience one myself. For some reason I was completely confident we would turn them over, although that was probably more to do with our league performances from the season before though.
I dont have a bad record at Wembley, 5 visits and 4 wins. Fulham the only game to tarnish my record.

My first and probably best visit was 94 against a treble chasing Manure. After listening to my Dads tales of the 70's cup finals it was great to finally experience one myself. For some reason I was completely confident we would turn them over, although that was probably more to do with our league performances from the season before though.
I dont have a bad record at Wembley, 5 visits and 4 wins. Fulham the only game to tarnish my record.
Lovely record that is. Mine is 9 visits and 5 wins

My first trip to Wembley 1971 for a Villa game. So proud of that side even in defeat.
I was 20 years old and stood there like a big schoolgirl with tears running down my face when we did our lap of honour.
Must also mention the "wheres your treble gone" final with Big Fat Ronnie. Great day out.
I was there too Witton, we weren't disgraced that day, playing against a very talented Spurs team, another brilliant day out.

Best Wembley Villa game is a tough one but '71 against Tottenham. At the age of 16 I probably first realised how proud I was to be a Villa fan. We were great that day and in my opinion equalled if not outplayed one of the top teams in the country. A cruel result.....we did not deserve to lose!!
In terms of concerts, Genesis in 1987 tops my bill. Paul Young supported as well.
Was at the that match too Villa,, and same age as you, 16 in the Nov of that year, great day, they did us proud... more than we can say for the present lot....

'96 was my first, only got the nod of a ticket on the Friday night and met my cousin in Victoria with a right crowd of lads. Leeds fans were intimidating on Wembley Way and you could smell the confidence in the air amongst our own. We played great football that day and I got to me seat with the ground full & Roll With It belting out over the speakers. What a day!

2000 semi-final and final (biggest let down ever that game, Chelsea poor and us powder puff). Lastly the semi-final vs Chelsea when Gabby was brought down in the box and no pen - new Wembley so much better than the old dump.

I saw AC/DC there but my best experience was watching Heaven & Hell with Ronnie James Dio at the arena. Great gig.

'96 was my first, only got the nod of a ticket on the Friday night and met my cousin in Victoria with a right crowd of lads. Leeds fans were intimidating on Wembley Way and you could smell the confidence in the air amongst our own. We played great football that day and I got to me seat with the ground full & Roll With It belting out over the speakers. What a day!

2000 semi-final and final (biggest let down ever that game, Chelsea poor and us powder puff). Lastly the semi-final vs Chelsea when Gabby was brought down in the box and no pen - new Wembley so much better than the old dump.

I remember exchanging views with some Leeds fans in McD's before the game. As per usual they were being cocky but I knew we would stuff them.

Charity Shield 1982, great weather , running battles around the ground pre game, entertaining 2-2, running battles around the ground post game.
Priceless.

You young whippersnappers! Wembley 1971. OK, we lost 2-0 but the message was sent out loud and clear the Villa are back.

It still makes me so proud to hear that chant............VILLA...........VILLA

I was there that magic day back in Feb 71, in fact it was 49 years ago today ffs! I was fourteen. I was at Gigg Lane the week before which turned out to be a shit day as far as the result was concerned, still had loads of fun though on the special from New St, I can still see the bends in the tracks around Manchester and approaching Bury - loads hanging out of the windows, 'streamers' going ... sorry I digress. This day at Wembley [27 Feb 1971] is something that is impossible to forget. From a desperate position, relegation to the 3rd, then this having beaten Man Utd in the SF. Villa were back, the fans were truly magnificent, the atmosphere was just beyond description, we could have won against a spuds team full of household names. Oh and by the way, that '3rd division' Villa team would piss on the Villa teams of the last few years. It was 1971 for me - unbelievable and 49 years ago today. Listen to the album, listen to the Villa.

Last edited:
I was there that magic day back in Feb 71, in fact it was 49 years ago today ffs! I was fourteen. I was at Gigg Lane the week before which turned out to be a shit day as far as the result was concerned, still had loads of fun though on the special from New St, I can still see the bends in the tracks around Manchester and approaching Bury - loads hanging out of the windows, 'streamers' going ... sorry I digress. This day at Wembley [27 Feb 1971] is something that is impossible to forget. From a desperate position, relegation to the 3rd, then this having beaten Man Utd in the SF. Villa were back, the fans were truly magnificent, the atmosphere was just beyond description, we could have won against a spuds team full of household names. Oh and by the way, that '3rd division' Villa team would piss on the Villa teams of the last few years. It was 1971 for me - unbelievable and 49 years ago today. Listen to the album, listen to the Villa.

I was only 16 at the 71 final but can still remember events of the day well. I didn't have a ticket for the train or the match (no money as usual!) but still managed to do both with the support of the wonderful Villa fans helping me out.

And in the 82 Charity Shield against them as well was another day out and by then I was living in Bournemouth so we had to travel back south with the big-mouthed shits.

I took some mates up from Bournemouth including a massive Scottish guy we called big Larry and the Spuds stayed well clear of him and us.

We also traveled up to some home games and it was funny to see the Villa fans around us at the back of the Holte hearing this very broad Glasgow accent shouting "Come on you Villa boys"!:rotfl: