Villa's financial position? | Vital Football

Villa's financial position?

Spursex

Alert Team
Been awhile since I've popped in here - for those that know me, you'll know that for a long time when I was in the Midlands, Villa was my football 'fix'.

Of course, I've been watching the machinations for a while, but every so often you see / read something that makes you stop and think, and I'm still stuck in that mindset that until Villa can find a way to massively increase revenues they'll continue to be banging their heads against FFP rules.

The Swiss ramble did a great piece on the PL last few weeks and today he turns his attention to the Championship - which I have to say looks frighteningly like a rich owners plaything and a potential pack of financial cards..

How Villa can fight their way back into the PL other than to have some massive sales, or successes driven by home grown talent I just do not know - the alturnative can only be a huge hike in reveues, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Anyway, the figures for most CL clubs look frightening and I wish you well, but it really does look to me that you are between a rock and a hardplace and if promotion isn't achieved this season, then one or two biggish sales cannot be avoided;

I wish all Villa fans a happy new year and hope you can pull it off and eventually see you back where you rightly belong.

Cheers, @Spursex - hopefully we will make the 'Promised Land' this season. But if we don't, I think you are right - it's widely accepted round these parts that Grealish will leave if we don't go up, a sale necessary for both the club and the player.

It's obvious that we will bend the rules as we have owners worth 7 billion and family wealth of 36 billion.

I suppose it depends how creative the owners can be in injecting money on the football side? I expect most of the loop holes have been closed though.

That's the key, things can be done or given they seem long term plan and have already spoken about allowing for a lack of promotion this season, they may have just decided come the summer if needed Jack is off/of Kodjia whatever, to right the balance.

That was Wolves' approach to spending if it went tits up on promotion - sell off and start again with a new group.

I honestly can't see how Villa can avoid selling this summer given the losses it's racked up in the previous two years, there simply isn't the 'creative' wiggle room available under the championships FFPR now.

I guess you will know soon enough as Villa prepare for the March assessment, which I suspect will force some hard to bear reality about the situation.

No, not really for me. Would be a linked transaction in any event, so same as saying we can charge £100m for Villa Park sponsorship - market rate stipulations cover it, so you can't artificially inflate.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if Purslow was bullshitting us when he claimed we weren't in danger of ffp sanctions. After the shit show that was summer 2018 I'm fairly content that we aren't going bust.

Purslow has been quite coy in fairness despite the headlines. He hasn't really commented on FFP, more our overall financial situation, but with the 'I was on original FFP committee' dangled people have read across but it looks like we'll slide through.

The figures being bandied about last summer just didn't add up. The big problem was our owner turned out to have no money. But seeing as we stayed within FFP for the first two years, and were also reducing expenses, the "massive hole" didn't exist. The Mirror article is rubbish; us paying Bolassie £70K a month???

What it's like at the moment nobody knows. But I don't think the owners are chancers. There will be a plan, whether we go up or stay down.

Been looking at the transfer figures quoted below for us over the last few years:
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aston-villa/alletransfers/verein/405

2015/2016.............IN £59.86m..............OUT £58.23m.............NET £1.63m
2016/2017.............IN £76.41m..............OUT £41.31m.............NET £35.10m
2017/2018.............IN £2.52m.................OUT £16.05m.............NET -£13.53m

So, only 2016/2017, after relegation, was there a massive expenditure. Reckon we spent £20.61m in January, so £55.8m in August.

This year that £35.10m will count towards FFP. Next year it won't.

There are of course other things like wages, loan fees etc counting towards profit/loss.

Allowing for obvious wriggle room, plus what we know of wages and assumptions on loans ending/contracts (Terry/Gabby) ending, it's why I've favoured we'll be close to the line but safe enough.

Surprised with spending this month to a degree, but if steps of compliance can be demonstrated (and we can use Xia's summer meltdown as mitigation/new owners) to a degree, even sailing a couple of quid the wrong way would only bring a symbolic punishment going off the recent AC Milan determination.

Unless we sell, I wouldn't expect another signing in the reported Kalinic ballpark, but another 2-3 loan to buys I would.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if Purslow was bullshitting us when he claimed we weren't in danger of ffp sanctions. After the shit show that was summer 2018 I'm fairly content that we aren't going bust.

Fair chance he’s pulling a swift one, he’s got that rep at VP already from what I hear. Shuffled out a CCO so he could get his own bod in instead with considerably less experience.

Then dealt new bod a bit of a blow by sacking off Luke Roper. Purslow has chased big brands but failed and had to end up with a lower value position from a second rate kit supplier ?

Guess Roper as designer only and not even that in many respects, and then potentially Adidas depends on your definition of a second rate kit supplier.

Our existing kit/merch deal was a shitstorm seemingly made up on the spot and outsourced at best.

Fair chance he’s pulling a swift one, he’s got that rep at VP already from what I hear. Shuffled out a CCO so he could get his own bod in instead with considerably less experience.

Then dealt new bod a bit of a blow by sacking off Luke Roper. Purslow has chased big brands but failed and had to end up with a lower value position from a second rate kit supplier ?

What kit supplier is this? I didnt think anything had been sorted for next year. I was assuming it could well be Luke again

Roper isn't handler for a start mate I don't think. People keep forgetting Fanatics involvement in this.

Hence JF's thread about useless basics at club shop.

Fanatics aren't the problem in my humble. They are a massive entity and easily capable of supplying what a club like Villa would need/want. The volumes they produce for the bigger clubs and the NFL/NHL etc blow anything that we could ever need out of the water. The problem was the planning, or lack thereof by the previous regime at the club. Wonder if Xia paid his bills to them?