Villa v Wolves Match Thread - | Page 26 | Vital Football

Villa v Wolves Match Thread -

Well anything more than 5m was a right rip off. Especially as Freddy was what, 4m. Targett probably more technically gifted but I know wgichof them I'd want sliding into a challenge.

Targett ex England under 21 player £17m Hause Ex England under 21 player £3m Tyrone Mings ex Mortgage advisor £25m now full England international.

It's a bloody strange world

Think the deal was undisclosed but it's generally thought to be in the £10m-£11.5m, possibly rising to £17m in future with add-ons.

And it's not the first time I've said. The majority of Saints fans were pissed they sold him because he was rated higher than Luke Shaw - but he's an attacking wingback, the problem with his signing was it fitted was DS wanted us to do - but we don't play like that so he gets caught out (no El Ghazi support but Jack did give him more) in defence.

The stories that went around about Saints fans being happy he was flogged were tied to how happy they were we paid for Che Adams.

That would be the striker with no goals in 28 games this season.

Targett ex England under 21 player £17m Hause Ex England under 21 player £3m Tyrone Mings ex Mortgage advisor £25m now full England international.

It's a bloody strange world

Well Mings is probably a better left back than Targett is as well.

Targett sometimes doesn’t look athletic enough to play at the top level consistently. I’ve seen him trundle so slowly across the pitch to take a corner because he was blowing out of his arse. I’m always amazed how lean footballers are, but I see a player with the stature of the average semi pro player when I look at Targett.

I wonder if he’s not built as lean and shredded as other players, if there’s some physiological reason as to why he seems to get injuries being a bit heavier on his feet.

Last edited:
Targett has been at fault many times. But he's not the only one. 60 goals conceded, the most in the PL. Also the most defeats. Wherever you look it's an accident waiting to happen.
Mystery too why Grealish has been so average since lockdown . Playing out of position doesn't help. But he doesn't look a 70 million pound player now.

Targett has been at fault many times. But he's not the only one. 60 goals conceded, the most in the PL. Also the most defeats. Wherever you look it's an accident waiting to happen.
Mystery too why Grealish has been so average since lockdown . Playing out of position doesn't help. But he doesn't look a 70 million pound player now.

When your best and the only performing player this season plays like that after the lockdown break, what on earth can you hope the other non-performing players all season would do?

Targett looks like a right weed, the sort I would’ve picked last at school. God knows how he’s got to this level and even though he earns good money, god know how he scored that bird.

I know very good amateur road cyclists that look much better physically than him and it’s not their day job to be in that shape.

Play him right and you'll see why he's rated.

Out of interest Mike, what is the right way of playing him? He’s a left back, and plays left back to me. He does have a lot of work to do, as we expect him to get forward and seems to have more space to cover (especially when our left winger plays everywhere but left wing).

I’m with Tom, physically he blows out of his arse - a game earlier on in the season sticks with me where the team was watching him to go and take a corner down in my corner of the Holte and he gave, and jack ended up coming over.

His athleticism is a huge concern, and how he pulled that bird when he looks like Sherman.

calmed down a touch, time to reflect has passed and I’m now in total agreement with what I have read, we are going down the plug hole slowly and sadly painfully.
Coach is an Egyptian swimming as he is in de Nile,
I have accepted our fate, we are going down into the championship to be the big dog again. A massive club , a sleeping giant, fallen giant, what ever your preference is, that’s what we are.
Am I sad , sad that we didn’t make a go of it maybe.Sad that the new dawn again can’t be seen as it’s dark and miserable or just taken for granted by our owners that thought It would be easy now we were up. Well somebody must of thought it was easy throwing cash around on battle weakened footballers from piss poor leagues or club, not all signings but most.
well what happens now, do we keep Deano and let him have another crack till Xmas to get us up or near the top , which I’m 100% he could do.
Do we kick him out now while the premier league embers are still glowing and hope. Sorry about the rant but after getting up early here in Australia to watch that crap I’m just void, lost , pissed off etc. God that wolves goal was like watching a predictable movie, could see it coming, new it was coming, screamed at the screen that the wolves player was free to shoot so block it but the cast and crew must of already predicted it.
Roll on being the big guns in the small pond again as this movie has been on repeat all season, oh but we did match them the director said in his Oscar speech.

Targett sometimes doesn’t look athletic enough to play at the top level consistently. I’ve seen him trundle so slowly across the pitch to take a corner because he was blowing out of his arse. I’m always amazed how lean footballers are, but I see a player with the stature of the average semi pro player when I look at Targett.

I wonder if he’s not built as lean and shredded as other players, if there’s some physiological reason as to why he seems to get injuries being a bit heavier on his feet.
Yes, he's not exactly blessed with lots of fast twitch muscle fibres is he?

Out of interest Mike, what is the right way of playing him? He’s a left back, and plays left back to me. He does have a lot of work to do, as we expect him to get forward and seems to have more space to cover (especially when our left winger plays everywhere but left wing).

I’m with Tom, physically he blows out of his arse - a game earlier on in the season sticks with me where the team was watching him to go and take a corner down in my corner of the Holte and he gave, and jack ended up coming over.

His athleticism is a huge concern, and how he pulled that bird when he looks like Sherman.

If anything he's more of a straight wingback or left midfielder to get the best out of him. He's not overly defensive minded, and gets caught out. But on an attacking front that suits him better.

From memory at Saints they used him in a back five, so he had more licence to step forward and that was how he impressed and worked his way into the first team picture after Shaw left.

It's why I'd said if we were playing on the front foot and how we expected DS's philosophy to go, Targett would look far better. Sitting back has never been his strong point.

Targett looks like a right weed, the sort I would’ve picked last at school. God knows how he’s got to this level and even though he earns good money, god know how he scored that bird.

I know very good amateur road cyclists that look much better physically than him and it’s not their day job to be in that shape.
Poor old Targett. He'll have to invent another injury to avoid mo salah next!

Sid Cowans looked like a right weed. If I remember rightly he did not too badly for us. Just saying.

I know it's not the thread....but thinking of left backs, have I missed someone out if I say Luke Young out of position was the last one the vast majority agreed was half decent?