Villa v Wolves Match Thread - | Page 24 | Vital Football

Villa v Wolves Match Thread -

On playing 2 up top - Davis & Samatta are too similar, I'd have either of the wingers playing off Davis and Elmo needs to be starting.

3-5-2 Hause/Mings/Konsa, Targett/McGinn/Luiz/Grealish/Elmo, Davis +1.

Grealish needs to be staying in behind and leave Luiz/McGinn to start things off.

Good shout but surely we’re just moving around mediocre players and wherever they end up were going to get mediocre performances. All those left out are great until they play.

For those that thought we should play 2 strikers up front, now you know why we shouldn't. You don't need that extra striker; you need midfielders who will attack and get into or near the box. It's the build-up play where we're not sharp enough.

I think DS made a big mistake in dropping Samatta at the restart. Samatta was doing fine, there was no justifying experimenting with an unproven Davis, even if Davis was cutting it in training. Samatta now looks as though he's wondering what's going on. Tinkering when the chips are down is not a good idea.
Firstly todays performance is not a reason to only play one up front. You need that extra striker to work off the other striker and increase the attempts and bodies in the danger area. To say you don't need that is exactly why every relegated team over the last 20 years has resorted to one up top. I will agree with you that the build up play is not sharp enough, but that goes for one, two, three or four strikers, if you don't feed them then nothing happens.

Shuffling these players around isn't going to achieve much. Changing the system isn't going to achieve much. The quality and experience of the squad leaves us short. Over the duration of this season our players have shown they're not a Premier League team. Individually some of them could be but as a unit they're lacking something. As said earlier by others, even allowing for the numbers of players we needed to replace, recruitment hasn't been good. Of the new players, the only one who's impressed me has been Douglas Luiz and he's had some dodgy moments settling in.

Problem with us to score a goal we have to concede 3, we break with all the purpose and speed of a snail on a mission and get back and defend even slower whilst passing it about until we give it away.
Teams only need to wait and we will give them the ball , we have two players who want the Ball Luiz and Jack

Problem with us to score a goal we have to concede 3, we break with all the purpose and speed of a snail on a mission and get back and defend even slower whilst passing it about until we give it away.
Teams only need to wait and we will give them the ball , we have two players who want the Ball Luiz and Jack
Nakamba and Hourihane also want it but regrettably only to pass back to Mings, Konza or Hause.

When I played football, there was a basic skill as a team - always have two options. The amount of times we struggled to have even one option to pass was a joke.

I don’t even think wolves set traps for us to play the ball to a particular, we were just shit.

Marv for me was shocking, how did he stay on for so long? SJM on for him after an hour would’ve been my change.

Nakamba and Hourihane also want it but regrettably only to pass back to Mings, Konza or Hause.

When I say want it I mean really want it the only time Hourihane wants it is when the ball is dead, he avoids the ball like the plague.
Marv will be fine mate, just like Luiz is now showing some were douting him before the break. I'd sooner see Drinkwater than Hourihane any day. In fact, I'd sooner see Lansbury

This disappointed me, we had the ball on the edge of wolves’ box with Luiz, his only option was Konsa and it went all the back to Mings then Taylor. I’d rather play a hopeful diagonal in the Channel than keep playing it wide

This disappointed me, we had the ball on the edge of wolves’ box with Luiz, his only option was Konsa and it went all the back to Mings then Taylor. I’d rather play a hopeful diagonal in the Channel than keep playing it wide

I learnt 25 years ago when I managed a boys side that if their manager had his coaching badges he would always look at getting it wide.
Easy to defend against, just double up and the go backwards, as they are coached to do.
We used to go straight through the middle where the goals are, it worked for me, it worked for wolves today

Wrong thread I know but Leeds 3rd goal based on the same style of play. Two forward passes finished off by a striker running at pace beyond the defender. None of this one paced, patient stuff.
About time they went up. Sadly they will not be meeting our acquaintance next year.

Even though it was only a one goal win, the last 15 minutes we had possession but we didn’t create one good chance. To not be banging on the door at home to a 6th place team when you’re 1 goal down to me is a sign of how far we have regressed as a club.

I’ve just been on a walk outside, and as much as we all love Jack being the star man, in the 25 odd years of consecutive premier league survival we’ve only been worse than this once at getting results.

We are neither playing the “Dean Smith” way nor are we getting results. We can’t handle the pressure nor do we prepare to grind out results. In fact, some of our best performances have come against the top teams as we seem to prefer having no expectation on us in this league to perform. The tactics from the manager have resulted in loss after loss, and the moral and confidence is shot.

Last edited: