Villa V Reading: Sat, 25th Aug, 15.00 | Page 15 | Vital Football

Villa V Reading: Sat, 25th Aug, 15.00

So are we blaming him for us not going up then? We wouldn't have even been there if it weren't for him. Or is it a coincidence that when he came back to full fitness we suddenly started looking like a half decent team. He's had a bad game, so did most others.

Just seen that this was Readings 1st point of the season. We really do love doing teams a favour don't we.

no mate, I'm really not, it was the whole team and management, it's a team game.

I can't see how Jack got us there either, it's a team game!

But missing those chances is the difference between being a good player and a great player. Tis all I'm saying sir!

AND YES. Said to dad, they are on a bad run, so you know what that means. Always help others!

Regarding the new Leeds manager or any good manager come to that, he came in with a plan, assessed the current squad then added to areas he felt needed strengthing with the correct type of player and proceeded with his football style drilling into the players what he wants and what is expected of them.

That seems light years away from the way Steve Bruce operates who buys decent players just because they are decent players then hasn't got a clue how to play them because he never has a plan A yet alone a plan B and is continually shown up tactically by other managers who outthink him and make the correct substitutions during games unlike Bruces sometimes bizarre changes.

He seems to think just because they are decent players they can be relied on to do the business for him on the pitch but it doesn't work like that any more Steve and those days have now bypassed you.

He came in to do a job of stopping the slide and that he did well thank you but the more that is asked of him the clearer his managerial limitations are shown up.

I read that Calderwood ended up snapping back at some of the crowd yesterday from the dugout area which isn't a good sign and perhaps our esteemed leader JF could confirm or deny this!?

4 points dropped at home this week is totally unacceptable.

Bruce has 6 days to save himself and the season. He’s had 2 years to sort out the striker situation and all that remains for him is 6 days. Desperately needs a centre half too and even if he does get the personnel in I’m not convinced he will ever be positive enough to play 2 strikers.

With regard to Leeds and their new manager: sure Bielsa is an experienced manager and they have started well and are playing decent football, scoring goals and winning matches.

But just remember the start of last season - they started like a train and were top of the League and unbeaten in mid-September, with a huge goal difference and 17 points. We had 7 at that point.

7 games later by mid-October, they had added 3 points and we had caught them up. They went on to finish nowhere.

Maybe Bielsa will change that and get a sustained effort out of them, but I don't think we should get too envious at this stage and we should perhaps reserve judgement on Bielsa after only 5 games.

no mate, I'm really not, it was the whole team and management, it's a team game.

I can't see how Jack got us there either, it's a team game!

But missing those chances is the difference between being a good player and a great player. Tis all I'm saying sir!

AND YES. Said to dad, they are on a bad run, so you know what that means. Always help others!

It is indeed a team game but we never looked a team till he came back in and knitted it all together in my opinion. He isn't yet a great player though, if he was he wouldn't be playing for us unfortunately. He has it in him to be a great player, again in my opinion.

Every single Bielsa side starts like a bullet train but grinds to a halt late in the season. I can see Leeds being top 2 come December then dropping like a lead balloon unless they have a much deeper squad than I think they do.

But we don't have the players to play long ball either.
and we dont have players good enough to try playing out from the back its non affective and boring to watch id prefer to see the ball played long so we are in there half and on the attack

In my teams the goalie is the first attacker and the striker is the first defender.
Johan Cruyff
Seams simple enough , even for Kojak

and we dont have players good enough to try playing out from the back its non affective and boring to watch id prefer to see the ball played long so we are in there half and on the attack

Our main problem is we're so slow on the ball, wherever we have it on the pitch. We tend to hesitate before we make a pass for some reason, or just plain dawdle on the ball. We need to decide what to do quicker.

i do like bruce .but he seems to be losing his way in terms of knowing who to play and where .its horses for courses .we should never be dropping points to teams like reading and ipswich to get 20 chances and only convert one isnt good enough for a team like villa with the squad we have why cant we go 4 4 2 now we have two good wide players RHM isnt good enough and looks sunday league at best im sure they could try someone eles up top with kodj been as bruce seems to like playing players out of there natrual positions

With regard to Leeds and their new manager: sure Bielsa is an experienced manager and they have started well and are playing decent football, scoring goals and winning matches.

But just remember the start of last season - they started like a train and were top of the League and unbeaten in mid-September, with a huge goal difference and 17 points. We had 7 at that point.

7 games later by mid-October, they had added 3 points and we had caught them up. They went on to finish nowhere.

Maybe Bielsa will change that and get a sustained effort out of them, but I don't think we should get too envious at this stage and we should perhaps reserve judgement on Bielsa after only 5 games.

Yes I agree with that and Bielsa also has a history of starting seasons well but his demands for high-intensity football all over the pitch has apparently in the past left his players very tired towards the end of the season.

Therefore he has a balancing act to perform but he is a good manager and it's not something he is not aware of.

My own point I was making was at least he works off a plan, unlike SB who makes it up as he goes along. I don't know about anyone else but those after match interviews are the same now as they have been throughout his managerial career.

So full of excuses and looking bewildered that I turned them off a long time ago as it's painful to hear him.

Regarding the new Leeds manager or any good manager come to that, he came in with a plan, assessed the current squad then added to areas he felt needed strengthing with the correct type of player and proceeded with his football style drilling into the players what he wants and what is expected of them.

That seems light years away from the way Steve Bruce operates who buys decent players just because they are decent players then hasn't got a clue how to play them because he never has a plan A yet alone a plan B and is continually shown up tactically by other managers who outthink him and make the correct substitutions during games unlike Bruces sometimes bizarre changes.

He seems to think just because they are decent players they can be relied on to do the business for him on the pitch but it doesn't work like that any more Steve and those days have now bypassed you.

He came in to do a job of stopping the slide and that he did well thank you but the more that is asked of him the clearer his managerial limitations are shown up.

I read that Calderwood ended up snapping back at some of the crowd yesterday from the dugout area which isn't a good sign and perhaps our esteemed leader JF could confirm or deny this!?

How many games has the Leeds manager been in charge?

Love the facts about other managers having plans as if it was that easy, or if our manager doesn't make plans. This inside knowledge is fascinating and I wonder where the information comes from. Any way don't the army say plan for a campaign and then throw the plan away when the war starts.

Love the facts about other managers having plans as if it was that easy, or if our manager doesn't make plans. This inside knowledge is fascinating and I wonder where the information comes from. Any way don't the army say plan for a campaign and then throw the plan away when the war starts.

If you are content and think Steve Bruce is above criticism then that's up to you Wurzel.

As for where the information comes from you only have to look on the pitch at how disjointed we are compared to most other teams who do have a plan.

I and many others think SB has reached his managerial limits and is unable to take us any further so let's see how it pans out OK.

So are we blaming him for us not going up then? We wouldn't have even been there if it weren't for him. Or is it a coincidence that when he came back to full fitness we suddenly started looking like a half decent team. He's had a bad game, so did most others.

Just seen that this was Readings 1st point of the season. We really do love doing teams a favour don't we.

Sorry but that simply isn't the case. Not blaming him for us failing at promotion but neither did he contribute enough to say that we wouldn't have been in the play offs without him. His goals and assist stats are abysmal for this level when you think about the hype he gets. He's a decent player who shows flashes of quality nothing more nothing less and if he carries on like this he should be dropped for Bolasie.

Disappointing again with the old insecurities coming to the fore. Players out of postion, build up too slow, not pressing consistently, not taking chances. Nothing has changed from last season performance wise but as regards results ........The most alarming aspect is perhaps that we have only played teams that have also struggled for consistency. Regardless of whether Leeds can sustain their level of performance, that's what I was hoping for from Villa.

We all hope that Bruce can address these issues because that would mean performances that should see us dominate and win games. As mentioned, the signings made have strengthened midfield and we have a squad that absolutely should be in with a chance of challenging for automatic promotion.

How long do the owners give Bruce should results not improve? Who do they bring in to replace him should he fail? Not questions I was hoping needed to be asked at this point in the season. Never been a fan of replacing managers mid term, let alone after a handful of games. It normally means that you are chosing from a narrow field of candidates and end up with a compromise.

The pressure begins to build and Sheffield Utd will definitely press and hassle, putting our defence under pressure. We need the 70 mins of dominance against Brentford to become the norm. Bruce needs to gamble on getting players forward and the players need to step up and perform consistently. Will it happen? One way or another, we'll know more about promotion chances by Christmas.

Sunday 25th November – Aston Villa – 12:00 – Birmingham City
Wednesday 28th November – Aston Villa – 19:45 – Nottingham Forest

Saturday 1st December – Middlesbrough – 15:00 – Aston Villa
Saturday 8th December – West Bromwich Albion – 15:00 – Aston Villa
Saturday 15th December – Aston Villa – 15:00 – Stoke City
Saturday 22nd December – Aston Villa – 15:00 – Leeds United
Wednesday 26th December – Swansea City – 15:00 – Aston Villa
Saturday 29th December – Preston North End – 15:00 – Aston Villa

Last edited:
If you are content and think Steve Bruce is above criticism then that's up to you Wurzel.

As for where the information comes from you only have to look on the pitch at how disjointed we are compared to most other teams who do have a plan.

I and many others think SB has reached his managerial limits and is unable to take us any further so let's see how it pans out OK.
watching the wolves game yesterday and they kept saying about how well they keep there shape and that was key to them pissing the championship last season . im sure with the manager could copy that the best we can in my opinion we have a better squad than wolves had last season but we seem to lose ore way in games and switch off . lose the ball far too much and if it stays like this come the end of the season and we fall short of play off or auto promo by a few points its games like yesterday that will have cost us