Villa V Forest Match Thread - Sponsored by Brinsley Fish Bar | Page 13 | Vital Football

Villa V Forest Match Thread - Sponsored by Brinsley Fish Bar

Was sat with the Villa fans last night so will be interested to see what they made of it all in CPs thread. My mates at the game were just as gobsmacked as I was. 90 minute heart attack that was worth every penny and then some.

Dean Smith’s comments are obviously those of a fan as much as a manager. In a way nobody deserved to lose that even though both sides deserved to win.

One thing is for sure, I won’t be forgetting this one any time soon.

Other than under KING BILL 1, the 7-3 Leeds game & a couple of cup games that’s about the first time since the 1990’s you’d watch a full replay of a Forest game.

We've just played Stoke, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Norwich and Sheffield United though Toms and the defence has had 1 poor half in all of those games. They are the better teams and we conceded 3 goals in those 5 games - one of which was Roofe's handball
And no disrespect taken of course buddy.

Just saying we need better to get promoted.

Not sure the game last night warrants any sort of inquisition of our defence. Just one of those crazy games that explodes that can't really be explained; they happen every now and again and you just have to hope that you end up getting something out of them.

As mentioned above, we've looked very solid in the previous 6 games and that shouldn't be forgotten because of one mental game.

Having said that I do think a LB will be top of Karanka's shopping list in January. It's been a weak area all season.

Don’t comment much these days but that was one hell of a game by one hell of a team.
Villa have got massive fire power and that was always going to be a concern and test.
My only criticism if it can be called that was that when we had the ball it felt like villa had 20 players out there and wherever we played it they were there and won it back.
We needed to hold the ball better.
But what a game and what a team we have now.
Well done each and every red on the pitch last night we came back against villa with 110 men!!! Fantastic
I would agree

Considering they played 3 in the middle we looked over run a lot of the time

When we did press and control, we looked very solid

Not sure the game last night warrants any sort of inquisition of our defence. Just one of those crazy games that explodes that can't really be explained; they happen every now and again and you just have to hope that you end up getting something out of them.

As mentioned above, we've looked very solid in the previous 6 games and that shouldn't be forgotten because of one mental game.

Having said that I do think a LB will be top of Karanka's shopping list in January. It's been a weak area all season.

I think the full backs had a bit of a mare. Blaming Pantilimon for any of those is ludicrous. Maybe McGinns effort should have been dropped on but he was unsighted and actually the bigger issue was McGinn not being picked up

I've got this down as 0-0.

Could be like the Leeds game, let them have possession & absorb pressure, but try to hit them on the break or similarly, Middlesbrough.

Villa have plenty of quality & whilst I don't think they will 'old man us' - as they did at the CG, Villa Park will be one of the hardest places to get points for away teams this season.

Got this slightly wrong - although, I did suggest a draw & I'd have taken a point before the game!

Wonder if we will appeal the Figgy red card - I've watched it quite a few times & still think it harsh - clearly the linesman was the one to suggest it was reckless/dangerous.

A lot of negativity about our defenders and goalkeeper but up until tonight only Middlesbrough had conceded less goals than us, and we've all just seen them have 5 cracking defensive displays in the league, only being beaten by Leeds cheating.

Great that we might get something out of this but even if we lose, people should give them credit - this is the best Forest team, back to front, that we've seen in our Championship era.

There's nothing wrong with our defenders or goalkeeper for this level. We need to stop bottling it as fans, and stick with the players; if we do we can go far.

Great post Boffin - always interesting to read back through these threads - gives a real insight into the perpetual moaners.

Fantastic game of football - Villa have a Premier League attacking unit - Abraham, Bolasie, Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, Kodija - specifically, Abraham up against a 35 year old ex EPL defender in Dawson.

Bolasie was signed for £30m - an unpredictable box of tricks against an average Championship full back in Robinson. Grealish - much as it pains me to say, should be playing in EPL.

Villa will make top 6 - they have a fantastic squad and we went toe to toe with them.

Harsh red card but we ground out a point - which, I'd happily of taken before kick off.

Pants makes no use of his height and commands nothing. Figs always looks shaky and prone to cards. Robbo is ok but lacks pace and was horribly undone tonight.

This was a real test against a playoff rival and we crumbled time and time and again. It was comical.

But scored 5 and came back from 5-4 down, with 10 men to EARN a point!

Character, resolve, passion, attacking football - into top 6!