Villa v Bournemouth Poll - Who in DM? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Villa v Bournemouth Poll - Who in DM?

Hourihane/Nakamba/Luiz?

• Hourihane

• Nakamba

• Luiz

• Tshibola ;-)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Contributing nothing against spurs is reason enough. Four competitive matches ago he was behind Glen Whelan in the pecking order, for all his dead ball skills he's not good enough for 90% of the game.
Funny how we all see things so differently. I thought Hourihane was great for 65mins v Spurs in a compact , organised well drilled midfield , winning against a top 3 PL side. After he went off we lost shape, composure, experience.
The scapegoating of Hourihane is beginning to annoy me

Funny how we all see things so differently. I thought Hourihane was great for 65mins v Spurs in a compact , organised well drilled midfield , winning against a top 3 PL side. After he went off we lost shape, composure, experience.

Scapegoat ;-
A person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

Is the above what's been described about Connors performance on saturday ?. Cant say I have read any post that says we lost on Saturday because of Connor Hourihane. Can't say I have read any post ever that says AVFC have lost any game because of Connor Hourihane alone

This no one can criticise Conor is getting weird especially those that do it constructively acknowledging his weaknesses but also his strengths.

Ok then.....

Connor Hourihane is brilliant. Should be the first name on the team sheet , is the complete midfielder and never does anything wrong.

Last edited:
It is funny! Most pundits think it was the introduction of Eriksen that sparked Spurs on to a win, not the removal of Hourihane.

He's not a scapegoat, I don't look for scapegoats I just see the weaknesses in teams. He's a player with decent ability on the ball given time or space, he's not a defender, he's not a clever player who can see plays happen and close them down, he's not suited for a DM role and its as simple as that. The management knows all this anyway or they wouldn't have bought two new DMs.

It is funny! Most pundits think it was the introduction of Eriksen that sparked Spurs on to a win, not the removal of Hourihane.

He's not a scapegoat, I don't look for scapegoats I just see the weaknesses in teams. He's a player with decent ability on the ball given time or space, he's not a defender, he's not a clever player who can see plays happen and close them down, he's not suited for a DM role and its as simple as that. The management knows all this anyway or they wouldn't have bought two new DMs.

I think you're right - I don't have a problem as such with Hourihane myself other than thinking he looks like he plays within himself every game and could/should do more but El Ghazi is much more guilty of that for me than Hourihane.

I trhink Hourihane has most of what's required for the position, he just doesn't do enough of it for me - I suspect/hope Luiz will provide more muscle and Nakamba will provide (much) more energy and ball-winning ability to our DM options.

I think you're right - I don't have a problem as such with Hourihane myself other than thinking he looks like he plays within himself every game and could/should do more but El Ghazi is much more guilty of that for me than Hourihane.

I trhink Hourihane has most of what's required for the position, he just doesn't do enough of it for me - I suspect/hope Luiz will provide more muscle and Nakamba will provide (much) more energy and ball-winning ability to our DM options.
Well let's see! Big Luiz is starting

The midfield unit is not functioning correctly yet. It's not Connor, SJM or SJG, it's the combination of them. If we want a midfield trio, the best one might be Douglas, Marvellous and Connor - or any of the other combinations.

We all tend to fixate on one player which I always find weird because if it was that easy we'd all be Jurgen or Pep.

One thing I love about Smith - he doesn’t do the predictable choice. Luiz was unbelievable today with the exception of a silly move which cost us a goal, but we all make mistakes. He won’t do it again. He’s absolutely class!
Not sure I'd go that far. Very much a mixed performance. Lovely goal yes but his mistake cost us the game today, let's see how he does next few games, he needs time to bed in , which we don't have.

Not sure I'd go that far. Very much a mixed performance. Lovely goal yes but his mistake cost us the game today, let's see how he does next few games, he needs time to bed in , which we don't have.
His mistake was a dummy that wasn't picked up by a lacklustre Grealish who should have been in position and the rest of his performance was Fernandinho standard.

His mistake was a dummy that wasn't picked up by a lacklustre Grealish who should have been in position and the rest of his performance was Fernandinho standard.

Grealish had a poor game overall and perhaps could have maybe read the situation better... but a dummy on the edge of your own area? A stupid decision and can hardly be blamed on someone else who wouldn’t have expected their team mate try such a risky move in such a dangerous area

Edit: sorry I’ve just seen the replay and the dummy was never on as a possibly option. Grealish no where near at any stage, 100% Luiz fault

Last edited:

It’s the first time I’ve seen him in the flesh today and he’s got a lot of talent.

He does this little feint which means he can turn out the other way with the ball and switch play even with a player on his back. Several times he also controlled the ball with a similar feint then came out the other way with the oppo midfielder wrong footed.

They are very small things but can have such a big difference on a game, especially if you are wrong footing players.

My issue with Whelan and to an extent Conor, is they don’t have the agility or speed of feet to do that. Watching Whelan try and turn on the ball was in slow motion, Hourihane likes the drag back he does but will get found out.

I read this nonsense about Jack last season then he got injured and we won 2 games in the next 13, he came back and we won 10 on the bounce.
Jack on an average day is still our best player and still the only player the opposition target

I read this nonsense about Jack last season then he got injured and we won 2 games in the next 13, he came back and we won 10 on the bounce.
Jack on an average day is still our best player and still the only player the opposition target

In Jacks own words he was crap at the start of last season. When he isn’t on form we struggle. We need to make ourselves less reliant on him otherwise teams will shut us down too easily