Villa v Bournemouth Poll - Who in DM? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Villa v Bournemouth Poll - Who in DM?

Hourihane/Nakamba/Luiz?

• Hourihane

• Nakamba

• Luiz

• Tshibola ;-)

Results are only viewable after voting.
In fairness, McGinn is an attacking midfielder and a defensive midfielder so with McGinn on the pitch we are effectively playing 4-2-4-1

Why do people want to see Hourihane in the team? We've spent 25m on the Brazil u23 captain and Toulon player of the tournament, and a defensive midfielder who kept clean sheets in the CL against the likes of Dortmund and Monaco.

Hourihane wasn't even our first choice defensive midfielder three months ago when he had 82 year old Glen Whelan competing with him. He's got a good free kick in him and he's a decent squad player but we are not going to change our bloody formation to cater for him!

Why do people want to see Hourihane in the team? We've spent 25m on the Brazil u23 captain and Toulon player of the tournament, and a defensive midfielder who kept clean sheets in the CL against the likes of Dortmund and Monaco.

Hourihane wasn't even our first choice defensive midfielder three months ago when he had 82 year old Glen Whelan competing with him. He's got a good free kick in him and he's a decent squad player but we are not going to change our bloody formation to cater for him!

I don't think anyone thinks that Hourihane is the future. The issue is whether Dougie or Marv are ready. We all saw Wes struggle against Spurs. If our DM is off the pace, our defense will get overrun.

I think it's quite funny how we fans jump to conclusions that a new signing is automatically going to be a better option than what we have. It's kind of like kids at Christmas. The old toys go in the dustbin as soon as we open the new ones... And sometimes, two days later we're digging through the dustbin because we realized the new ones aren't all they were hyped up to be on the telly and the old ones still work just fine!

I just looked up the Toulon tournament and searched for the "players of the tournament." Interesting reading. Of the past ten winners, only one has gone on to play regularly for a "top" club... James Rodriguez of Colombia in 2011. There's a few household names on the list but also a host of names I've never even heard of.....

I think it's quite funny how we fans jump to conclusions that a new signing is automatically going to be a better option than what we have. It's kind of like kids at Christmas. The old toys go in the dustbin as soon as we open the new ones... And sometimes, two days later we're digging through the dustbin because we realized the new ones aren't all they were hyped up to be on the telly and the old ones still work just fine!

Wrong. Disagree.

When I got the Millennium Falcon for xmas I can categorically state it was better than any toy I had before .

I just looked up the Toulon tournament and searched for the "players of the tournament." Interesting reading. Of the past ten winners, only one has gone on to play regularly for a "top" club... James Rodriguez of Colombia in 2011. There's a few household names on the list but also a host of names I've never even heard of.....
Well if 25m worth of defensive midfield talent isn't better than Conor bloody Hourihane we should sack Jesus and Dean right now!

Wrong. Disagree.

When I got the Millennium Falcon for xmas I can categorically state it was better than any toy I had before .
Yeah well my wind-up Evil Keneval (Chopper) was a massive let-down from the previous year's Starship Enterprise. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it....

Voted Tshibola cos I feel sorry for him

:ban:

Anyway, can get why we want Douglas as we all want to see what the fuss is all about. Is he ready? don't know is the honest answer. I'd be tempted to overload midfield with Marv and Dougie, have the wing backs overlap to get width and get some support to Wes.......never gonna happen but think in my own mind that is the future. Don't want us to sit deep and need an outlet. Think I'd sacrifice El Ghazi and have Wes and Trez up top with Jack in behind. SJM can then be given a free role to get up and down the park.

Well if 25m worth of defensive midfield talent isn't better than Conor bloody Hourihane we should sack Jesus and Dean right now!

Little bit harsh in terms of sacking people, but I'm sure new players are purchased with the aim of making the team stronger.

That said, keeping a squad of 25 players unified and motivated over the course of a season is no easy task. I'm sure Deano is aware that wholesale change at the start of last season undid Fulham.

To find out whether what we've purchased is better than those that earned promotion, the new signings will get game time. Just not all at once I think.

Who would you drop? McGinn or Grealish?

Neither.
With Luiz and Hourihane sitting deepish, sort of between defence and a high midfield of Trezuguet on the left, McGinn on the right and Grealish in the middle and giving Hourihane the freedom to get into that high midfield when possible.
I think this could be a game for Guilbert at rightback.

Neither.
With Luiz and Hourihane sitting deepish, sort of between defence and a high midfield of Trezuguet on the left, McGinn on the right and Grealish in the middle and giving Hourihane the freedom to get into that high midfield when possible.
I think this could be a game for Guilbert at rightback.

Oh you'd play McGinn on the wing then? Can't see Deano doing that to be fair. McGinn is doing just fine pulling the strings in the middle

Oh you'd play McGinn on the wing then? Can't see Deano doing that to be fair. McGinn is doing just fine pulling the strings in the middle

No, I didn't mention anyone playing on the wing, I didn't envisage anyone playing on the wing. I thought McGinn would play rightside central midfield with Trezuguet playing leftside central and Grealish between midfield and Wesley or, Davis. If opportunity arose Guilbert could bomb on down the right, while Trezuguet could go out on the left with Hourihane stepping in to the midfield, as he would if McGinn bombed forward.

I think it's quite funny how we fans jump to conclusions that a new signing is automatically going to be a better option than what we have.

Early doors that may be true but given we've just spunked £17m/£15m/£11m on Targett/Luiz/Nakamba then you'd bloody well hope that at least two of those will be holding down a permanent place in the first team by Xmas.

No, I didn't mention anyone playing on the wing, I didn't envisage anyone playing on the wing. I thought McGinn would play rightside central midfield with Trezuguet playing leftside central and Grealish between midfield and Wesley or, Davis. If opportunity arose Guilbert could bomb on down the right, while Trezuguet could go out on the left with Hourihane stepping in to the midfield, as he would if McGinn bombed forward.

Oh so you'd play 5 Central midfielders then? Glad you've cleared that one up.

If nothing else it's revolutionary