Villa, Promotion, The Summer Of 2019 - Yup, It's Time For The Vital Villa Interviews! | Vital Football

Villa, Promotion, The Summer Of 2019 - Yup, It's Time For The Vital Villa Interviews!

mike_field

Vital Football Legend
Ladies and gentlemen, it’s that time of the year again! The interviews that kill all others, Vital Villa's, obviously.

If you accept this mission, answer the following questions and email the answers to avfc@vitalfootball.co.uk or answer on this thread.

I will delete spurious emails without answers and I won't accept those that just say hello or call me something rude or ask for my password. This doesn't apply to Nigerian Princes who need help with their money.

PLEASE...in the subject box put your name/username as you want it published.
PLEASE...spell check.
PLEASE...this is the front page, no bad language.
AND NO TEXT TALK!

When did you become a Villa fan and why?

What is your favourite Villa moment of all time/most treasured memory?

If you could bring back a former Villa player into this team (at his peak) who would it be and why?

How do you rate head coach Dean Smith's time in charge so far?

Best and worst moments of last season?

Your opening opinions on Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens?

Tyrone Mings has arguably been the standout loan signing, but we only have a matching offer clause. Would you break the proverbial bank to secure his signature or do you go for Tammy Abraham?

Jack Grealish has proven himself to be a key man, how do you rate his development?

Player of the Year?

All time favourite Villan?

Hope's for the coming campaign?

One Bit Of Non-Football Wisdom For Us?

Old Trinity Villan

As long ago as i can remember. My Father taught myself and my sister to love the Villa as soon as he could lol. First match i remember was a night match V West Ham. 7th Feb 1966, we lost 2 -1. I was 9. Bobby Moore, Hurst and Peters all played for them IIRC.

Going to the 1971 league cup final with my Father as it was his last match.

If you could bring back a former Villa player into this team (at his peak) who would it be and why?

Probably Andy Gray for his all action style and total lack of fear. Oh and the Goals.

I always thought he was the right man for the job and he is proving me correct. Long may it continue.

Wembley obviously for the best. The best Villa day out in many many a year. Worst, probably the Cabbage throwing incident as it spelt the end of Steve Bruce who i admired as a proper man but his time was up. Almost as much for his own good as ours.

They did not become rich by being fools and nothing i have seen has changed that opinion. We are in VERY good hands.

Tyrone Mings has arguably been the standout loan signing, but we only have a matching offer clause. Would you break the proverbial bank to secure his signature or do you go for Tammy Abraham?

Tyrone could become a Villa legend. Pay what it takes. Not sure on Tammy but dont think he will be allowed to leave Chelsea anyway.

Jack Grealish has proven himself to be a key man, how do you rate his development?

He is improving continually at the moment. The premier league will suit him as there are less cloggers. He can be as good as he wants.

Player of the Year?

SJM, a steal.

Brian Little, no question. The most naturally gifted Villa player it has been my pleasure to watch. He used to glide across the grass similar to how Jack does now. Skilful with it as well.

Mid table finish and trying to win every game we play.

Look after yourself as without health you have nothing?

Basically from birth, I had no choice. My first game was apparently in 1999 when I was 5, not that I can remember it. I used to go to the occasional game with my dad when his mate couldn’t go and there was a spare ticket. Eventually the season ticket became available permanently and my dad snapped it up on my behalf - that was circa 2003 I have been going ever since, in the same seat.

My first away game with my mate, against Blackburn. Agbonlahor - back in his good days scored in the second half and celebrated right in front of us, I was on the first row. It was surreal I was probably still at the age where I saw the players as super heroes so that was a great moment.

Gareth Barry, all round Mr Consistent for years. We missed him when he left and it signalled the beginning of the downfall of the coming years.

My heart says 10 out of 10 for getting us promoted. My head says closer to 7 out of 10 as we went large periods of the season looking very poor. We failed to adapt to life without Grealish, and the form was only turned around once he returned. That said Smith has done a great job of getting the best out of Grealish, a quality player now starting to show his potential. Overall I am looking forward to seeing what Smith can do for us next season.

Best day for many seasons has to be the Wembley victory. The worst day would perhaps be the West Brom game in the league at home, it felt like all hope had been lost after that loss.

Too early to say, although they appear to have good intentions from what we can see so far. If nothing else, they’ve managed to push Xia to the periphery which would seem to be a huge positive.

Both have question marks over them; Mings on his injury record and Abraham on his premier league record. I believe both players are good enough. If I had to choose I’d go for Mings as his attitude and enthusiasm for the club is a great sight for us supporters. He has good attributes which will shine through if he can remain fit.

Under Smith and previously Bruce he has improved and has really shown that he can be a top player. We are lucky that we were promoted as we’d have waited a long time before we have someone as naturally talented. He’s matured significantly in the last 2 seasons and is ready to play at the top level.

Player of the Year?

Grealish - we have had some great players this season, McGinn, Abraham, Mings, but you can’t help but looking across the season and identifying clear periods in which we were either on top or completely underperforming and it all corresponds to when Grealish was it wasn’t in the side. He makes the entire team click around him, without him we’d be nowhere and although some players have been more consistent or played more games our success is down to Grealish more than the others.

Hitzlesperger from when I was a kid, I think I just liked the name. I think Grealish is seriously up there though

Mid table and then kick on for the following season

I wish I had some

Sod it, I'll do it here then, lol

Late 80's, early 90's, no idea really, being a young Irish lad riding the wave of Italia '90, it must have been something to do with Paul McGrath or even Tony Cascarino. "You don't choose Aston Villa, it chooses you". That old saying probably sums it up.

Hard to pick one. Maybe winning the League Cup in '96, everything went right. Visiting Villa Park for the first time in '97 getting Dwight Yorke's autograph. I think Hutton's goal vs Blues will live with me until I die, I couldn't believe what I was watching, can't remember going as nuts for a goal in many years.

Paul McGrath. He's God isn't he?

Excellent. He came in and I enjoyed watching Villa again. And then he gets us promoted. In Deano we trust.

Best moment has to be the final whistle at Wembley. The relief. Worst was maybe being 4-0 down at Sheffield Utd, I couldn't believe how badly everything was going again.

Nothing but positive. But will they pay the fine?

Mings all day long. A real leader on the pitch. Must be a done deal almost anyway.

Brilliant. He's become the player we all hoped he would be over the last 2 seasons, now he's ready to really take on the Premier League. The thought of losing him before he's even hit his prime was utterly depressing, but its all changed now. Villa boy, Villa captain.

Player of the Year?

I'd have to give it to Super John McGinn. I think we still owe Hibs around £27.5m.

Dean Saunders was my first Villa hero, had his name on the back of my shirts. I was devastated when he was sold. I'll go with him for that reason, but obviously the likes of God, Merson, Barry, Mellberg, Laursen etc get honorable mentions.

Make Villa Park a fortress. Play on the front foot home and away. But obviously be smart about it considering the sides we'll be playing. Mid-table will do for a start.

"All the atoms of our bodies will be blown into space in the disintegration of the solar system, to live on forever as mass or energy. That's what we should be teaching our children, not fairy tales about angels and seeing grandma in Heaven." - Carolyn Porco

Opening home game 1958, is when.

Father, Grandfather and Great Grandfather were dyed in the wool fans. Great Grandfather from the day the club was first formed. So I guess you could say it's in the blood.

Lifting the European Cup is the Villa moment of all time.
My most treasured memory, among so many, has to be the first time I met Ron Saunders.

Difficult to cut down to one player who I'd like to see again among so many who could help the team in different ways.
Gerry Hitchens, Peter McParland, God, Leighton Phillips, Nigel Spink, Tony Daley, Sir Brian, Olaf Melberg, Martin Laursen, David Platt and Sir Dennis of Mortimer, to name a small sample.
The why seems to be self explanatory.

Given the mess he inherited I'd have to say exceptional.

Wembley final whistle has to be the best.
Worst was the close of the summer transfer window and what we were left with defensively.

Your opening opinions of Nassef Sawaris and Wes Edens?

At last, two genuinely clever businessmen, who are worth what they say they are.

Tyrone Mings has arguably been the standout loan signing but, we only have a matching offer clause. Would you break the proverbial bank to secure his signature, or do you go for Tammy Abraham?

Mings everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.
Sometimes a club and player come together and it is something special, I think this marriage will be like the second coming.

Amazing compared to where he was a year ago.
I think that time out with the liver/kidney damage, made him realise just how short a time playing the game he could have and made him knuckle down and be determined to become as good as he possibly can be.
Then having a head coach who has a track record of improving players hasn't exactly done any harm.

Player of the Year?

Difficult to pick one but, I think I'd make case for James Chester.
He played on his wrong side, sacrificing his own game for the good of the team.
He played on through a bad knee injury, for the team, knowing it could end his career.
As club captain, he has been there, supporting every player.
An unsung hero.

An impossible question to answer, there are so many.

Hoping that the team we end up with 'gel' quickly and play the kind of football that excites us all. Hope every home game is a sell out and every away game's away end is sold out and home fans are out sung, as usual.

Strangers are just friends we haven't met yet.

I started going on a regular basis in 1969. My Nan lived in Nechells and I used to walk 3 miles to the ground to meet my best friend and his Dad outside the Holte pub. Would you let an 11 year old do that nowadays?! My Mom's family are staunch Villa so it was no-brainer.

Outside the obvious European Cup. The league cup final replay at Old Trafford. Just an amazing atmosphere and I had taken a Villa supporting girlfriend with me. We celebrated!

I got to be good friends with Keith Leonard when I worked behind the bar at Moor Green FC. His best mate played for them. He was trying to get over the cruciate ligament injury but never made it back. He was on the fringes of the England team and I've always wondered how far he could have gone in the game.

Expected him to do well in the Championship although I thought promotion would have been in season 2.. I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles the greed league.

Best has to be the final whistle of the final. I admit to shedding a few tears. The worst for me was losing the the Albion at Villa Park.

They appear to be in this for the long term with a plan to match. I'm cautiously optimistic. Cautious only because we have had our fingers burnt before.

Tyrone impressed me more than Tammy. I think he had a more influential effect on the team as a whole. Man crush!

He's really come of age this season. Love watching him play. I get that real buzz of excitement when he's on the ball. There's a lack of that type of player in the modern game. I can't wait to see if he can step-up to the premiership. I'm sure he can.

Player of the Year?

I'll go Super John McGinn but it's a close call. He's been more or less ever present and has incredible energy, drive, skill, etc........

So many but God edges it for me. I was a centre half back in the day. I was in awe of his reading of the game and his positional sense.

Now we are back let's stay there and build a team to be reckoned with.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got! Love that and apply it regularly.

OVB

Family tradition that goes back generations and decades, maybe centuries. My Dad was, his Dad was etc. Never really questioned why as it was a part of my life since I can remember and before. They used to take me from around the age of 3 apparently home and away, first ever birthday present was a season ticket when other kids got Action man or a bike. A lot of pressure was on me to continue the tradition, especially due to how poor we have been in recent years but pulled it off and have added two more Villans to the roster who care every bit as much as I do.

Probably Wembley 1975, got my first real taste of how much an institution and Goliath of football my club was.

Brian Little, one word, gifted

Done what he was employed to do as the first attempt, he is like a breath of fresh air. One of our own and would not swap him for Klopp or Pep, that in itself says it all.

Anwars goal at Wembley, all the frustration of the the previous year coming out along with mass hysteria it produced, the Allez song banging out as we left the pitch at half time.

Worst, that nonsense at the Temple of Doom

Not put a foot wrong and the owners we could have only dreamed of
before. This was all written a long time ago IMO as I do believe in fate

Mings yes, Abraham no

Time will tell but he is approaching legendary status, the boy can be as good as he wants to be and I think he is twigging this at last

Player of the Year?

John McGinn, unbelievable in his first season

Brian Little

That when we get beat and are in a bad run that we back the manager and not turn on him. Rome was not built in a day, we are onto something truly special, lets not muck it up eh lads

Treasure every moment with your parents as they will not be here forever

Worst was having to watch Bruce tell us how bad everything was whilst sitting in the sun and making it look like we should be grateful he wasn't going to walk unless paid off, can't stand the bloke.
Best was without a doubt having the balls to go for Dean smith, I never, ever, ever want a has been, media mate as our manager, ever.

Best was Hutton's goal which was unreal.

Worst was being 3-0 to Sheffield United at half time with our fans arguing amongst themselves and fighting. We've come a long way since then.

When i was a kid just getting to understand the rules of football, my brother was trying to convince me that Liverpool was the best team going and to support them. He told me to pick any team to support as long as it wasn't Man Utd. At that time Dean Saunders was playing for Liverpool and had scored 4 goals in one game so i thought he was the best player ever.... then villa signed him and happened to be challenging for top spot. So i chose them. Also having 4 quality Irish players, McGrath, Staunton, Townsend and Houghton helped. Loved the charismatic manager in big Ron and then winning the league cup in 94 and 96. Easy choice!

I just started supporting the Villa last month when we won the playoffs. I've already got a season ticket for next season. Derek Smith is a great manager and with goals from John Grealish I'm sure we will win the league next season.
I thought it was John Smith and Derek Grealish?
I started supporting Villa last night as my "Adventure before Dementia"
Now where did I put that keyboard?