Villa Expected League Position 2018 -19 | Page 4 | Vital Football

Villa Expected League Position 2018 -19

Slow start then a good build up to Christmas. Slight blip over the New Year when the effects of the schedule give us a kicking then power on to the top two for May.
Job's a good'n.

I don't think we can afford another slow start. That's ultimately what cost us automatic promotion last season.

There's absolutely no reason we can't win our first 3 games, and kick on fro there.

Confidence will be key for us so vital we get off to a flyer in my opinion.

Think last season we were assuming a good start and didn't get it. However, that was last season.

Lack of signings could play to our advantage. The players are now well bedded in. We have weaknesses but they could be a lot worse. Chester and Elphick should be OK central defence provided neither gets injured. Steer might surprise us in goal. We're a bit short up front but have midfielders who can score.

I'm looking for a good start.

Think last season we were assuming a good start and didn't get it. However, that was last season.

I'm looking for a good start.

You've mentioned maintaining the feel good factor a number of times and I think your right. Wins breed confidence, especially in those players, likely to be regulars, who weren't involved last season like Steer, Elphick and De Laet.

IMO, a good start is essential if we are going to challenge this year and it would be nice to be in a position where one or two of the youngsters could be given 20 mins from the bench.

Just want the window to shut and the challenge to begin.

UTV.

You've mentioned maintaining the feel good factor a number of times and I think your right. Wins breed confidence, especially in those players, likely to be regulars, who weren't involved last season like Steer, Elphick and De Laet.

IMO, a good start is essential if we are going to challenge this year and it would be nice to be in a position where one or two of the youngsters could be given 20 mins from the bench.

Just want the window to shut and the challenge to begin.

UTV.

Got to be top 6 all season, sitting in 10th at the turn of the year will be just shyte. At least in with a shout of promotion at Easter.

I'm a natural pessimist and don't like tempting fate by being too positive so I'm going for top 6 at best. We haven't strengthened and ,in fact, the squad looks weaker to me after the loss of Terry, Snodgrass and Johnstone. If Grealish goes then that weakens us further. Chester staying is a big plus.
If Green steps up and Kodjia regains his fitness and goal scoring we could be a threat but the Championship landscape has changed.
Top 6 with a following wind.

I'm with you Ironside. We do have a weaker squad when it seems others around us have strengthened. Top ten will be acceptable under the circumstances.

I think the league is more difficult this year. Last season 2 out of the bottom 3 were pretty much doomed all year to be whipping boys and all the relegated Prem teams were shite for various reasons. Can't see Stoke, Baggies or Swansea being so accommodating.

We certainly don't have the depth of last season but if Jack stays he's a match winner, Chester is the best centre half in the league and if Kodjia can recover from his injuries he's going to score plenty. If we use the quality we have already added with a few smart signings and properly giving the likes of O'Hare, Taylor, JDH a go then we can get promotion. Bruce came close last season, he's going to need to do a better job to get up this year but he's been promoted with worse squads than this so he can do it.

Reckon the league is weaker. Not that many teams in the "at least top 6" category. Stoke stand the best chance of the teams coming down, but some in that squad are ageing, and do they still have the appetite? Baggies and Swans have lost players and were in decline before.

The secret is maybe to make sure you beat the weaker teams. We're a bit of a mixture on that.

The squad is weaker but if Kodjia regains fitness and the form of 2 seasons ago then that will be a massive boost to the starting 11 which we didn’t have last season, and if we hang onto Grealish as well then that will be even bigger.. when he was playing we were simply much better. I still think we are short in a couple of positions hopefully we can get a defender and a wide attacker in before the transfer window shuts. My prediction: lower play off positions or just outside

I think after the Reading game at the end of August we will have seen enough to know which way the promotion wind is blowing.
Steve Bruce will need to summon up all his managerial experience to get us up with this depleted squad.
I am a pessimist by nature and think the loss of key players from last season and no signings of note as yet with only a short while to go means we will struggle.
Some of the kids will have to step up at certain times during the season, but its always a risk with young players, even the most gifted ones.
Hope I am wrong but agree with David, lower play-off maybe or just outside.