Villa Expected League Position 2018 -19 | Vital Football

Villa Expected League Position 2018 -19

northamptonvillan

Vital 1st Team Regular
Given the financial chaos and the impending firesale, I thought it might be interesting to gauge peoples expectations in terms of League Position for the coming season. Without our better players from last season, can we mount a challenge or are we avoiding relegation?

Personally, I'm expecting a season of win some, lose some mid table mediocrity. Any thoughts?

Haven't the faintest.

If we only lose Jack (and anybody who sells him for less than will get us out of a hole should be sacked) then we ought to be top 6 at least.

If Xia & co manage to get rid of Jack, Chester, Kodj and Albert and what's left is reduced to the same sort of spirit as our PL relegation squad had then we could easily get relegated.

Think we'll know after the Hull match. Could be cause for some hope. Could be staring disaster in the face. It's not the result; it's what we see on the pitch.

If the club changes hands then I'd accept anything short of relegation so long as we're putting in place something for the future.

Bottom line: hope we're not relegated, and that we are looking to the future.

Top of the table, lifting the trophy, walking into the Prem by March

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not.

I do actually subscribe to this view though. We do have a good squad even without Jack and Chester and bear in mind Jack only played half of last season.

Talking to a fellow Villa fan this week about this very subject and he said that we need a big centre forward and I said that we have one in Davis. His reply was that he was too slow and lumbering to which I responded, the last centre forward that that accusation was leveled against when he was signed was the guy that scored the goals that took Villa to the heights that have never been reached since.

I think that with Green out wide and Davis and Hogan down the middle we have the makings of a strike force to do well. Midfield has some good players - some that got us close last season - with Hourihane, Lansbury, Whelan, Jedi and a few of the kids. Defence without Chester and Terry will be problematic but we have Elphick and Suliman to call up. Fullback are covered well. Goalie will have to be Steer or Bunn.

Add to this list McCormack who we know can score goals at this level and possibly Adomah and that is a decent Championship squad that will challenge.

It's a good question but as things stand, I'm sorry that I simply can't give you an answer!

So much depends on the manager we have at the moment and can he motivate the squad enough plus help and develop our younger players? Also if we are bought by a new owner then that will have a massive bearing on everything including the possibility of a new manager so you have to say staying up is the first priority.

I sure hope so but as with everything in life - time will tell?

You don't get promoted on the back of a summer like we are having. No way.

You get relegated or at best are in a relegation fight.

Hope that cheers everyone up.:thumbup:

Top 6 or Bruce can do one ! It's supposed to be his Forte back to the wall getting the underdog to win.
Lets see if he can surprise us and show how good he is

Wasn’t tongue in cheek, there is not a single team in this league that I see and am even remotely afraid of. Said in another thread, the toughest opponent Villa faced last year was ourselves, will be the same this year.

Could get it wrong again, but I really think we should be able to click and get some momentum. Agree Bruce will be the deciding factor, if he learns from first half of the final vs Fulham and sends the team out without shackles we run this league in my honest.

Apologies for this ray of positivity in y’alls pitty party, will try to remain negative in my future posts

At this stage surely it's a case of 'how long is a piece of string'....

We can all live in hope, but realisically, until the window shuts, we don't know who'll of left and who (if anybody) we get in.

I have said many times.

If the likes of Millwall can come close to play offs even a vastly depleted Aston Villa should.

So as long as admin doesnt happen, play offs. And at least a bloody good go at auto. No free ride for me this year, last year our squad meant I demanded promotion, I dont demand this year but I expect it

Wasn’t tongue in cheek, there is not a single team in this league that I see and am even remotely afraid of. Said in another thread, the toughest opponent Villa faced last year was ourselves, will be the same this year.

Could get it wrong again, but I really think we should be able to click and get some momentum. Agree Bruce will be the deciding factor, if he learns from first half of the final vs Fulham and sends the team out without shackles we run this league in my honest.

Apologies for this ray of positivity in y’alls pitty party, will try to remain negative in my future posts

Keep up the positivity; we need it!!!

In principle I think you're right. But what frightens me stiff is not the playing side, it's the financial side. Not only has Tone so far failed to solve the cash crisis, but his approach seems to be to continue selling off or mortgaging assets. That leads to doom.

So we could get to a stage that we're selling anybody who's saleable, not to meet FFP but simply fund the club's cash flow.

For a good season we have to keep Chester. Last season was based on a very strong defence, and that has to be the starting point for this. Chester and Elphick at the heart is key to that. If Chester goes then so does the strong defence; the best we could do is play Richards, and while that might be workable, it's not the same quality.

Lose Jack and somebody else other than Chester and we can cope.