Villa draw Crewe away in 2nd rd of EFL cup | Page 2 | Vital Football

Villa draw Crewe away in 2nd rd of EFL cup

All wrong - it's an Omen.
I remember 74-75 and I remember the League Cup win, I also very well remember being drawn against Crewe [having beaten Everton in R2 after a replay - magnificent by the way].

We went to Crewe and drew 2-2, won the replay. Next up were Hartlepool , Colchester & Chester - I went to every single game home and away - magic times.

If you weren't there, can you imagine the LC SF 2'nd Leg [1'st leg 2-2 at Chester] at Villa Park on Wednesday 22 Jan 1975 - Villa won 3-2 with goals from Keith Leonard[2] and Sir Brian Little[1] - the attendance was given as 47,732 - the atmosphere that evening was completely overwhelming.

Then on 1'st March '75 we lifted the LC at Wembley. Never ever forget that cup run, just never ever.
Great times 67. I think the 75 Final was such a sweet win because it wiped out the bitter memories of the 71 Final.
Stood on the Wembley terraces as a 20 year old with tears running down my cheeks as Villa did their lap of honour. So proud of them in defeat. Bloody Chivers.

Great times 67. I think the 75 Final was such a sweet win because it wiped out the bitter memories of the 71 Final.
Stood on the Wembley terraces as a 20 year old with tears running down my cheeks as Villa did their lap of honour. So proud of them in defeat. Bloody Chivers.
Remember the Andy lochhead miskick when score was 0-0. Andy shoved Phil Beale in the back but ref Jim Finney? Waved play on. Andy scuffed his shot and we watched trying to suck the ball into the unguarded net. That sneak,a young Steve perryman appeared from seemingly nowhere and cleared . Chico Hamilton saw a fierce effort hit the bar and overall we matched spurs. God knows how many villans were at Wembley that day but l recall a Wembley spokesman saying he had never heard noise like it. We villans are often pessimistic,even grumpy but when we are roused, passion so fierce roars. I remember Kevin Keegan,commentating on the Tranmere semi final saying that he had never heard so much noise in his life.

Remember the Andy lochhead miskick when score was 0-0. Andy shoved Phil Beale in the back but ref Jim Finney? Waved play on. Andy scuffed his shot and we watched trying to suck the ball into the unguarded net. That sneak,a young Steve perryman appeared from seemingly nowhere and cleared . Chico Hamilton saw a fierce effort hit the bar and overall we matched spurs. God knows how many villans were at Wembley that day but l recall a Wembley spokesman saying he had never heard noise like it. We villans are often pessimistic,even grumpy but when we are roused, passion so fierce roars. I remember Kevin Keegan,commentating on the Tranmere semi final saying that he had never heard so much noise in his life.
Just watched it back again on You Tube, its about 18 inches from the line when its cleared. Throughout all you can hear is Villa fans, and when Spurs score, I think its Kenneth Wolstenhome doing commentary says Villa really dont deserve that, as you say having matched Spurs every inch of the way.
Yes the Tranmere game, one of the all time Villa classics, what a roller coaster ride that night was. The League Cup has provided us old timers with some magic moments.

I was also there, my first time at Wembley and the noise was incredible. Martin Chivers got both of their goals, I remember the players saying afterwards the noise we were making you would have thought that we had won. Back in them days they used to print a voucher on the back page of the programme and the more vouchers you had the more chance of a ticket. Needlessly to say I had enough vouchers for two tickets. Never missed a home game always bought a programme. Happy days.

Yep - got all the programmes, was even back then, annoyed I had to cut the voucher out and have a programme with a hole in it after I had religiously avoided any damage to it whilst being at the back of the Holte - no mean feat. The [vinyl] LP of the game is treasured to this day.

Yep - got all the programmes, was even back then, annoyed I had to cut the voucher out and have a programme with a hole in it after I had religiously avoided any damage to it whilst being at the back of the Holte - no mean feat. The [vinyl] LP of the game is treasured to this day.

lol, i think i have the LP of the 75 final somewhere.

Those vouchers were great, although I hated vandalising the programme. All reminds me of 1975, first full season watching Villa and we got promoted as well as a winning trip to Wembley, aged 8. Assumed every year would be the same?
I’ve somewhere still got the team’s 7” called “we’re going up (right up to the top!)”. Won the league six years later and European champions the next, so pretty accurate in retrospect

I think we all felt the same about damaging the programmes. I remember late 70s maybe early eighties, a workmates son had just got hooked on the Villa. He was about 10 years old. I gave him all my programmes and he pinned them up on his bedroom walls. They covered almost every square inch. And he was like a kid who's christmas's had all come at once. Takes me back that.