Views looking ahead to the new season. | Vital Football

Views looking ahead to the new season.

My takeaway from that was to have a good look at Bolton for my four division accumulator next season !!

I think he summed us up nicely with will be harder.

Its going to be a crazy league next season with some clubs suffering financially and points deductions a real possibility.

My overriding prediction for next season is one of frustration as the date for fans being allowed back in slips to the right and when we do it won't be what we loved and remembered about being at games.

Motto for next season - "just get through it and survive".

He thinks it doubtful that we will get 8 new players, if we don't then we won't even have a team?

He thinks it doubtful that we will get 8 new players, if we don't then we won't even have a team?
8 players added to the current numbers would give us about 16 wouldn't it ?Take away Hobson and possibly Fuller that's 14 wow that is tight.Maybe it is eight more than what we have now.IE if players leave it add more to that number?

There will be an absolute glut of excess players available. The better ones will be snapped up first for course but there will be plenty available.

We will have the numbers we need if not necessarily the quality.

It has got tougher for everyone and a lot tougher for all but the big favourites. Some clubs will still gamble but we won't and nor will those close to our means. We have a manager, who has proved he can get the most from a smallish and cheapish squad. He had the contacts to attract loanees and played that market well and he will need to do so again. More than ever before it is the strength, adaptability and cohession of the entire squad that will matter.

The pressure was off very early last season due to the difficulties of Bolton and Southend. It is possible that a similar situation evolves this season but I hope not. Arms length football is tough enough without the competition being undermined. Our first aim is to stay in the division, which may be a harder fight than last year. To equal last year's finish would be immense but be sure Evans will strive to surprise again.

In some ways Posh should fear disappointment more than us. They could lose the three who scored all the goals last season and anything less than promotion will be seen as failure.

Nest season i think the gulf in league one will start to increase. The teams with money or willing to risk it will get promoted or at least play offs.

I think Charlton , Hull, Oxford, Peterborough, Sunderland and Portsmouth will invest.

I think mid table is what we will be playing for.

Blackpool are doing things a little differently this season, Neil Critchley is employed as head coach as opposed to being manager, his task to implement fitness and training and putting the best team together from the squad and ensuring the players understand his style of play and what he expects from them.
He identifies the players he requires to best fit his plans and it is left in the hands of the recruitment team to deal with the agents of players sourced through the club's scouting network and also deal with contracts terminating with current players.
It leaves him to be with the team most of his working day not hampered with being on the phone/computer, as I said earlier a bit different for us so should be an interesting season even if getting to see the team play is out of the question.

Nest season i think the gulf in league one will start to increase. The teams with money or willing to risk it will get promoted or at least play offs.

I think Charlton , Hull, Oxford, Peterborough, Sunderland and Portsmouth will invest.

I think mid table is what we will be playing for.

Charlton and Hull have the potential to destroy themselves from within . The last three I agree with.

Stable clubs who can build a bit will do well. The likes of Fleetwood and maybe Oxford could do well again.

A good article, the main surprise for me was them saying Peterborough will get top two. I can’t see that happening personally, they may make the playoffs though given their resources available and if they keep their other better players (Toney gone/going already).

A good article, the main surprise for me was them saying Peterborough will get top two. I can’t see that happening personally, they may make the playoffs though given their resources available and if they keep their other better players (Toney gone/going already).
A fairly good reflection of where other teams are but totally biased in favour of Posh simply that.

A fairly good reflection of where other teams are but totally biased in favour of Posh simply that.

You would expect them to be optimistic but the fact that they have not even reached the play offs in the last six seasons, despite always having above average strikers would suggest that they are not brilliant defensively or tactically.

They sold Godden who will now be a championship player after picking up a league winners medal. Toney must have cast envious eyes.

I was amazed when they went back to Fergie Junior after dispensing with SE. I know who I would rather have, at least on the basis of talent.

You would expect them to be optimistic but the fact that they have not even reached the play offs in the last six seasons, despite always having above average strikers would suggest that they are not brilliant defensively or tactically.

They sold Godden who will now be a championship player after picking up a league winners medal. Toney must have cast envious eyes.

I was amazed when they went back to Fergie Junior after dispensing with SE. I know who I would rather have, at least on the basis of talent.
I would not be surprised if Evans left Peterborough based at least in part on who he was not just on his results. He has clearly learned a lot and now is a more controlled person than he appears to have ever been before.The fact that he was never sent off for Gills shows how much he has matured.

Last edited:

They might lose Toney but he replaced the unreplaceable Jack Marriot who replaced the unreplaceable Conor Washington who replaced the unreplaceable Britt Assombalonga who replaced the unreplaceable Dwight Gayle who etc. Since it was obvious Toney would be leaving then I am sure they have already scouted a replacement. Starting a rumour with no evidence, I would not be surprised if they looked at Tom Eaves from Hull who are in sorts of problems.

Peterborough are financially sound with rich owners and finished the season with a squad that could easily have been in the playoffs if the season didn't end early. If they can get a decent replacement for Toney then they will be competitive. Compared with the big names who are always the bookies' favourites, teams like Hull, Wigan, Charlton, Sunderland etc are in all sorts of problems either financially or with boardroom infighting.

Add to that most smaller supported sides will be likely to be forced to sign players with a reduced budget and you have ideal circumstances for a well off and well run club like Peterborough to finally get promoted. Once the season is announced, I reckon Peterborough would be a good bet for promotion in an accumulator. Bristol Rovers might be another good bet as they seem to be stable as a club and are financially secure they can spend the cash (in the form of wages) before the new season is announed.

Interesting article.

It's very hard to make predictions for the next season, but from what I know, I suspect, given the economic impact of the COVID crisis, those stable, bigger, financially profitable bigger clubs will be best placed to cope - so Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth stand out. Hull, Charlton and Wigan could also be up there, if they sort out their off-field issues, but equally, if they don't, we could see a repeat of Bolton. If Peterborough and Oxford have maintained they squads from last season, they should do well again. I see teams who are stable and steady, as well placed to deal with the current situation and I include us in amongst that - if Scally's statements are to be believed; we also have the benefit of one of the wiliest, hard-working and toughest managers in the lower leagues who will acquire the best possible players we can afford and will get the best out of them. I envisage those on low finances will struggle, like Wimbledon and Rochdale, as they did last year. Northampton and Crewe may find it tough coming up too.

All in, who knows what will happen given the current climate, but I for one have faith in Evans and Raynor to get the best out of whatever players take the pitch in September and think we'll do at least as well as last season.