Very limited seats left for Brighton game at BDBL | Page 2 | Vital Football

Very limited seats left for Brighton game at BDBL

We need a new ground with all the parking, eating and drinking facilities.
BL isn't the ground I fist visited, all four sides have changed so do tell me it
the old ground we love. We love the team and we need to make room for
the new wave of supporters in years to come.
We won't though :)
So just bin the history and the heritage we have the oldest football stadium in the world surely that’s got to count for something (I know its not money or points) but if Sheffield fc was about to go under there would be uproar trying to save the oldest club but you would toss the oldest ground away 🤷‍♂️

Comments from the chairman suggest that they are looking to add a few thousand seats, not sure if this is a second level on the SS or redeveloping the Kop, but moving away isn't on the cards.

I was made aware the other day that Fulham have knocked down their old Riverside stand, and are building another in its place, giving them another 4000 seats while preserving the ground, the Johnny Haynes Stand and the Craven Cottage itself. Details are here https://www.fulhamfc.com/stadium-development. If Fulham can do something like this, why not us..?

Comments from the chairman suggest that they are looking to add a few thousand seats, not sure if this is a second level on the SS or redeveloping the Kop, but moving away isn't on the cards.

I was made aware the other day that Fulham have knocked down their old Riverside stand, and are building another in its place, giving them another 4000 seats while preserving the ground, the Johnny Haynes Stand and the Craven Cottage itself. Details are here https://www.fulhamfc.com/stadium-development. If Fulham can do something like this, why not us..?

Glad we're not planning to move away as have been to plenty of soulless out of town grounds....................but definitely could do with growing BDTBL if we are going to stay in PL - another 10k needed I reckon

It’s triggers old brush syndrome BDTBL looks nowt like it did back in the day but it will always be the oldest ground unless we let it go a kop redevelopment is long overdue what with having to sit there and syp I feel like I haven’t left the 80s when I go to a match there

The main problem with upgrading the ground is that, even though it's obvious that the Kop is the most in need, we would realistically have to add the second tier to the South Stand first. That change could be done without closing the stand, whereas the Kop needs knocking down and completely re-doing, due to the poor (and cheap) foundation work done back in the 90s. That's at least one season, probably more, with almost 11k less capacity, which would mean a whole bunch of current season ticket holders not being able to go to home matches for a while. If we did the South Stand first, then we could probably cope with existing season ticket holders while the Kop is rebuilt. The only other option would be to ground share somewhere else for a year or more.

It’s triggers old brush syndrome BDTBL looks nowt like it did back in the day but it will always be the oldest ground unless we let it go

Indeed, it's more accurate to call Bramall Lane the site of the oldest professional football stadium in the world. The oldest stand is the Lane end (1966) but even that has had substantial work done to it since it opened, making the oldest complete stand the South Stand (1975.)

As a (probably unrealistic) hypothetical question, how would people feel if we built a brand new stadium that was still at Bramall Lane, like Spurs did with White Hart Lane, i.e. knock the whole lot down and replace it with something state of the art and with a big capacity?

The main problem with upgrading the ground is that, even though it's obvious that the Kop is the most in need, we would realistically have to add the second tier to the South Stand first. That change could be done without closing the stand, whereas the Kop needs knocking down and completely re-doing, due to the poor (and cheap) foundation work done back in the 90s. That's at least one season, probably more, with almost 11k less capacity, which would mean a whole bunch of current season ticket holders not being able to go to home matches for a while. If we did the South Stand first, then we could probably cope with existing season ticket holders while the Kop is rebuilt. The only other option would be to ground share somewhere else for a year or more.

Indeed, it's more accurate to call Bramall Lane the site of the oldest professional football stadium in the world. The oldest stand is the Lane end (1966) but even that has had substantial work done to it since it opened, making the oldest complete stand the South Stand (1975.)

As a (probably unrealistic) hypothetical question, how would people feel if we built a brand new stadium that was still at Bramall Lane, like Spurs did with White Hart Lane, i.e. knock the whole lot down and replace it with something state of the art and with a big capacity?
problem with that is where would we go whilst it was being done there’s only one place that could facilitate us atm and it would be a big no from me the place is falling to bits
btw it’s only about 5 yr ago we stopped calling it the new south stand :lol:

We could always ask the Chinese to build the kop. It will be ready next week. Just the 6 months to get through Sheffield Council planning department !!.

It’s triggers old brush syndrome BDTBL looks nowt like it did back in the day but it will always be the oldest ground unless we let it go a kop redevelopment is long overdue what with having to sit there and syp I feel like I haven’t left the 80s when I go to a match there

Stadium redevelopment has it's problems, John Street is our biggest problem, it could do with another tier because it looks a bit out of sync with the rest of the stadium as it is.

Any further expansion in other parts of the stadium will make John Street look even more out of sync. But there are residents on John Street which makes building a problem. There's not many, but there are a few.

In an ideal world I'd like a top tier to go the full length of John Street, around the corner of Shoreham Street and join nice and snugly to a new kop.

Then the South corner of the kop to join the South Stand. That would probably give us another 7,000 - 8,000 seats and wouldn't hinder any future work that might see the additional tier being added to the South Stand if it's needed.

In an even better ideal world, I'd like the entire stadium to be totally rebuilt and turned 90 degrees using the car park space as well.

The John Street and Cherry Street sides of the stadium would be the ends where the goals are and Shoreham Street and Bramall Lane would be the sides. Then there would be no height restrictions like we currently have on John Street

Last edited:
problem with that is where would we go whilst it was being done there’s only one place that could facilitate us atm and it would be a big no from me the place is falling to bits
btw it’s only about 5 yr ago we stopped calling it the new south stand :lol:

Given the amount of time and expense it took to get Bramall Lane to fit with the newer Premier League requirements, I dread to think what it would take to do the same at Hillsborough. Setting aside the other issues that our fans (and theirs) would have with us sharing, I for one wouldn't want us to spend our money to improve their ground. The only realistic option for us would be Pride Park I think. Similar size to the Lane, not that far to travel, no bad history between us and Derby and it's a modern ground so it should only need VAR monitors adding to be up to the Prem standard. Whether they would be accommodating to us is another matter.

Stadium redevelopment has it's problems, John Street is our biggest problem, it could do with another tier because it looks a bit out of sync with the rest of the stadium as it is.

Any further expansion in other parts of the stadium will make John Street look even more out of sync. But there are residents on John Street which makes building a problem. There's not many, but there are a few.

In an ideal world I'd like a top tier to go the full length of John Street, around the corner of Shoreham Street and join nice and snugly to a new kop.

Then the South corner of the kop to join the South Stand. That would probably give us another 7,000 - 8,000 seats and wouldn't hinder any future work that might see the additional tier being added to the South Stand if it's needed.

In an even better ideal world, I'd like the entire stadium to be totally rebuilt and turned 90 degrees using the car park space as well.

The John Street and Cherry Street sides of the stadium would be the ends where the goals are and Shoreham Street and Bramall Lane would be the sides. Then there would be no height restrictions like we currently have on John Street

John Street can't have another tier added without backing into (and swallowing up) the street itself. Realistically, the only two stands that can have their capacities increased are the South Stand and the Kop. If we require a bigger ground than that would offer (between 40k and 45k capacity) then we would need a brand new ground, either rebuilt at the Lane or elsewhere.

Goin to derby although not so far away would have a catastrophic effect on attendances there’s loads of folk like me that work Saturdays and although I get finished in time to watch the game it wouldn’t allow for travel time elsewhere so I along with many others would be casualties of such a move

So just bin the history and the heritage we have the oldest football stadium in the world surely that’s got to count for something (I know its not money or points) but if Sheffield fc was about to go under there would be uproar trying to save the oldest club but you would toss the oldest ground away 🤷‍♂️
Bin the history, no we'll still keep that.
When we moved house the last time my wife was so attachced but not me, the home was the family not the bricks and mortar. Settled now and been here 30+ years but it's still only a house, the home and family is the family.

Last edited:
Given the amount of time and expense it took to get Bramall Lane to fit with the newer Premier League requirements, I dread to think what it would take to do the same at Hillsborough. Setting aside the other issues that our fans (and theirs) would have with us sharing, I for one wouldn't want us to spend our money to improve their ground. The only realistic option for us would be Pride Park I think. Similar size to the Lane, not that far to travel, no bad history between us and Derby and it's a modern ground so it should only need VAR monitors adding to be up to the Prem standard. Whether they would be accommodating to us is another matter.

John Street can't have another tier added without backing into (and swallowing up) the street itself. Realistically, the only two stands that can have their capacities increased are the South Stand and the Kop. If we require a bigger ground than that would offer (between 40k and 45k capacity) then we would need a brand new ground, either rebuilt at the Lane or elsewhere.

My post talked about turning the whole stadium 90 degrees and using the car park as well
The John Street side of the stadium would be 40-50 yards further away from John Street itself in this scenario

Bramall Lane has plenty of space around it currently to build whatever we like if the space was utilised properly
The waste land at the back of the kop, and the car park added to what we already have within the stadium itself is a huge area

Just on the weather front, the "storm will be strong winds and heavy rain through friday night till early sat morning...8am ish", with lighter showers through out the day, just been checking Beeb weather.
There is one ticket left for chatroom...50,000 capacity sell out....ooops sorry was using pigonomic's calculator.... plenty of room.....
:slap::giggle:

Moving from The Lane would eclipse EVERY bad thing that's ever happened to us X 1 squillion.
Anyone supporting that idea should never be allowed into BDBL again.

Just out of interest, McCabe released redevelopment plans that visually looked very impressive. Does anybody know if that included inceasing capacity ?.