Vert would like a new 4/5 year deal... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Vert would like a new 4/5 year deal...

I personally think it's a cultural thing. Jan is grounded in the Belgium / Dutch way and is comfortable being open. That's not uncommon.

I'm also thinking that Vertonghen will get away with being open in the cut throat world of football whereas a certain English and Spurs left back didn't.

Hmm, it doesn't make sense he shares the same agent as Mousa who was very vocal about him being in his last year at Spurs and was in protracted negotiations with us for most of last season, his agent, Tom de Mul used to have/has a very close and good relationship with Poch, so Jan's need to go public makes no sense to me at all....

I guess I'll just sit back and accept he felt the need to say it and it should be positive, but the method suggests something between his agent and the club has gone very wrong.

Hmm, it doesn't make sense he shares the same agent as Mousa who was very vocal about him being in his last year at Spurs and was in protracted negotiations with us for most of last season, his agent, Tom de Mul used to have/has a very close and good relationship with Poch, so Jan's need to go public makes no sense to me at all....

I guess I'll just sit back and accept he felt the need to say it and it should be positive, but the method suggests something between his agent and the club has gone very wrong.

What's gone wrong is it's the middle of the season and MP hates contract talk during the season. They're also trying to finish the stadium. So right at this moment is a stupid time to ask.

What's gone wrong is it's the middle of the season and MP hates contract talk during the season. They're also trying to finish the stadium. So right at this moment is a stupid time to ask.

But he and his agent would know that. I guess we'll find out soon enough, but something definitely doesn't smell right.

Even though the club has triggered extension I hope they give him a new contract in the summer (if not before) and a decent pay rise, top player.

So how long is his contract. The shape he is in I'd give three years now with a mutual break clause at you. He'll still be good enough to be third choice in three years so see little risk. An air of stability is no bad thing.

I would have preferred a new contract.

It sounds like we have done this and stopped contract talks

Would have signed him and locked him up for next few seasons...this could bite us in the ass.

We have him for another 18 months at least. He will be 33 when his deal finishes.

I get the impression we won't offer him a new deal, a bit like we haven't with Dembele.

We have him for another 18 months at least. He will be 33 when his deal finishes.

I get the impression we won't offer him a new deal, a bit like we haven't with Dembele.

Difference between Vert and Dembele is that Vert is consistent and generally healthy, vs the opposite with Dembele...especially the health bit.

Difference between Vert and Dembele is that Vert is consistent and generally healthy, vs the opposite with Dembele...especially the health bit.

We signed both the same summer and Vert has only played 12 more games than Dembele in all competitions.

Wouldn't have thought that.

I don't think it's a question of stopping contract talks, I would have thought it's more a question of giving Jan a bit of security.
In all fairness Levy has other things to be focus on at the moment, hopefully those other things included bringing in one or two players.