Vert would like a new 4/5 year deal...

Spursex

Alert Team
Jan Vertonghen wants to extend Tottenham contract beyond 2020

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Click to follow
ES Sport

vertonghen111218.jpg

Option: Tottenham are expected to trigger a one-year extension on Jan Vertonghen's contract ( Getty Images )

ES Football Newsletter

or register with your social account

I would like to receive news and stats from the Premier League, twice a week by email
Already have an account? Log in

Jan Vertonghen is open to extending his Tottenham contract beyond 2020 and believes he can continue playing for another four or five years.

The 31-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season and Spurs will exercise a one-year option soon. Vertonghen says he is not currently in talks over a new deal but insists he would be happy to do so.

“I’ve got a contract until 2020 — there’s an option and Tottenham will take that option,” he told Standard Sport. “So I’ve got a year and a half left and then we’ll see. The way I feel now, I’ve got at least four to five good years left in the tank.

“There are no talks [with the club], but that’s something to discuss. At the moment I feel great at Tottenham. It’s a club with unbelievable potential — not just the players but everything around it. Everyone wants to be part of it.

The Belgium international spent nine seasons at Ajax before joining Spurs in 2013 and his mother has said he could return to the Eredivisie club before he retires.

“You never know, but I’ve got a great passion for Ajax,” he said. “I’d probably live in Amsterdam [when I retire]. I can see myself in Belgium a day or two a week with family — it’s only an hour and half drive. My missus is from there. I love the open environment, people being open-minded. I lived there for nine years, it’s a nice city. It has a good quality of life and diversity.”

Asked if he has any interest in becoming a manager when he retires, Vertonghen said: “At the moment, no. I can see how demanding it is — I see our manager. To come straight out of football, it’s good to get your head off football for a bit. That’s how I think now anyway. For the moment I just think about playing football and not about managing.

“I want to start with something, and that’s probably not going to be my coaching badges. I hope I find something demanding, something I can put my soul and passion into.”

He's asking alot given his age, but I suspect Poch would agree, but would only be looking for a 3 year extension...?

He's asking alot given his age, but I suspect Poch would agree, but would only be looking for a 3 year extension...?

34/35 for a CB is quite common place, if signing him up to 4/5 means we can keep him for 2/3/4 then fine - hes is irreplaceable

34/35 for a CB is quite common place, if signing him up to 4/5 means we can keep him for 2/3/4 then fine - hes is irreplaceable

Hmmm, it is true that most players look after themselves and CB's should be able to play on, but our style of play is very demanding and I'm just unsure how Poch would see having a 34/35 around to meet those demands...

But if I could I'd definitely sign him for another 2/3 ....it's very odd to see a player saying something like this publicly, it's as if the communication between the player/his agent and the club isn;t working the way it should...

Hmmm, it is true that most players look after themselves and CB's should be able to play on, but our style of play is very demanding and I'm just unsure how Poch would see having a 34/35 around to meet those demands...

But if I could I'd definitely sign him for another 2/3 ....it's very odd to see a player saying something like this publicly, it's as if the communication between the player/his agent and the club isn;t working the way it should...

I wonder if we went down the Arsenal/Chelsea route and offered him a deal for a year.

Be foolish TBH

I wonder if we went down the Arsenal/Chelsea route and offered him a deal for a year.

Be foolish TBH

If we did, he'd go, no question of it.

It's a very odd piece for him to do, tbh I'm still scratching my head wondering why his agent isn't telling all this to the club?

I would give him an improved contract for 4 years, with a reduced salary in 4th year. While some CB are still good enough to play in PL at 35 they are few and far between, even so how many are playing in a top 4 side.
At the end of the day the player believes he would still be good enough why not take 3 with an option of a 4th.

It's a very odd piece for him to do, tbh I'm still scratching my head wondering why his agent isn't telling all this to the club?
Well it's out in the open now so ball is in the clubs court now, I would be gutted if we don't look after this guy.

This should be a no-brainer. Vert is one of the best and his health is still pretty stable. Plus CB's can get a bit older and be just fine.

Get him signed Danny boy!

**And while you are at it, get Toby tied up as well.

This should be a no-brainer. Vert is one of the best and his health is still pretty stable. Plus CB's can get a bit older and be just fine.

Get him signed Danny boy!

**And while you are at it, get Toby tied up as well.
But would you give him a 4-5yr contract?

But would you give him a 4-5yr contract?

Vert - Yes, lean toward 4 though, but maybe be sure to put some clauses in it that protect both parties.

BL - Losing Vert and Toby would be absolutely devastating and may as well put us in re-building mode.

I personally think it's a cultural thing. Jan is grounded in the Belgium / Dutch way and is comfortable being open. That's not uncommon.

I'm also thinking that Vertonghen will get away with being open in the cut throat world of football whereas a certain English and Spurs left back didn't.

The message is clear from Jan. He's willing to seek everything competitively with Spurs in his final years at the top. He's willing not to jump to one of the other elite clubs. That's good to hear. He then fancies moving back to the Amsterdam/Brussels corridor for life after football with his family with hopefully a final bash with Ajax.

Reading more into that, he knows Ajax won't be big payers and he'll want to just collect a wage and play football. That's why he's trying to secure his money with us.

I'm guessing there is a formula in there somewhere that a 3 year deal with a huge signing on fee and a salary increase is the same as a 4 year deal at a lower signing on fee and salary. If he's being sensible about it then there could be a way forward.

I very much doubt he'll be a first teamer in 3 seasons time though and would even have my doubts about the 20/21 season. We'll see.

The message is clear from Jan. He's willing to seek everything competitively with Spurs in his final years at the top. He's willing not to jump to one of the other elite clubs. That's good to hear. He then fancies moving back to the Amsterdam/Brussels corridor for life after football with his family with hopefully a final bash with Ajax.

Reading more into that, he knows Ajax won't be big payers and he'll want to just collect a wage and play football. That's why he's trying to secure his money with us.

I'm guessing there is a formula in there somewhere that a 3 year deal with a huge signing on fee and a salary increase is the same as a 4 year deal at a lower signing on fee and salary. If he's being sensible about it then there could be a way forward.

I very much doubt he'll be a first teamer in 3 seasons time though and would even have my doubts about the 20/21 season. We'll see.
Good points, that works for me.

He has never been about pace or speed. I have seen a few signs his agility and mobility are not what they were. But he looks after himself, so he could play for another 3 years at the top.

Bottom line is we can't afford to lose both Jan and Toby. I would give him a 3 year deal, paying the rate he is worth, then have an option of a further 2 but at a lower salary. Pyramid down.

The chavs did a similar deal with Terry and Lampard, worked quite well I thought.