Vegan fascists, or rather, fascists at a vegan food fayre (n/g) | Vital Football

Vegan fascists, or rather, fascists at a vegan food fayre (n/g)

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
Last night I was having a conversation with some mates who are visiting. They were telling me about a vegan food fayre and how they weren't that happy with the organisers because a group of fascists had been allowed to set up a stall at the fayre to sell their vegan cupcakes.

You can imagine the argument. The anti-fascists weren't happy about the presence if the fash but the organisers position was that the fayre is about the food not politics. It didn't matter that they were fascists at least they weren't omnivores!

Though I was sympathetic to the anti-fascists position of my friends, I suggested that the best course of action was to allow the fash to set up their stall and try to sell their cakes. But, at the same time, everybody who visited the fayre should be made aware of the politics of these particular cake sellers. Wouldn't it be good, I suggested, to allow them to come but then see them sell very few, if any, of their cakes.

By banning them the organisers would be falling into a trap. Much better to invite them and then embarrass them.

Last night I was having a conversation with some mates who are visiting. They were telling me about a vegan food fayre and how they weren't that happy with the organisers because a group of fascists had been allowed to set up a stall at the fayre to sell their vegan cupcakes.

You can imagine the argument. The anti-fascists weren't happy about the presence if the fash but the organisers position was that the fayre is about the food not politics. It didn't matter that they were fascists at least they weren't omnivores!

Though I was sympathetic to the anti-fascists position of my friends, I suggested that the best course of action was to allow the fash to set up their stall and try to sell their cakes. But, at the same time, everybody who visited the fayre should be made aware of the politics of these particular cake sellers. Wouldn't it be good, I suggested, to allow them to come but then see them sell very few, if any, of their cakes.

By banning them the organisers would be falling into a trap. Much better to invite them and then embarrass them.
Out of respect Buddha, I'm going to assume this isn't a massive wind up. So can you tell me how your friends were able to identify a group of people selling cupcakes at a vegan food fayre as fascists?

Out of respect Buddha, I'm going to assume this isn't a massive wind up. So can you tell me how your friends were able to identify a group of people selling cupcakes at a vegan food fayre as fascists?

Not a wind up unless my mates were winding me up!

Apparently this group (unfortunately my mates can't remember the name) are active on social media and are openly fascist.

I made a good joke last night though, I said, "wow, actual vegan fascists!".

That is good. Well done.

Re OP, although your proposed course of action is very well intended, unfortunately it would breach anti-discrimination laws.

☹️

Not a wind up unless my mates were winding me up!

Apparently this group (unfortunately my mates can't remember the name) are active on social media and are openly fascist.

I'm struggling to imagine what fascist vegan cupcake sellers would look or act like. I bet all their black shirted thuggish mates take the piss big time!
Out of interest, would you be happy if customers at the fayre were made aware of your friends political affiliations before being allowed to trade?

I'm struggling to imagine what fascist vegan cupcake sellers would look or act like.

Swastikas on the cupcakes I assume?

I think there might be a twist to the story. Maybe the fascists weren't the stereotypical white jackboot ones, but were Hindus or something? I'm intrigued to see where this goes

Decisions to follow a meat free, or vegan diet may be made for political reasons but not necessarily so. Adolf was an animal lover and a vegetarian. I don't eat meat for my own reasons and believe it would be better if less meat was eaten altogether so I welcome anyone following that course regardless of political orientation. Nobody owns this politically, nor environmentalism, feminism and much else. Look for divides and you will find them, put up walls and bricks will come over them. I have friends with seriously right wing views, we rarely bother arguing but gentle mocking is permitted.

Swastikas on the cupcakes I assume?

I think there might be a twist to the story. Maybe the fascists weren't the stereotypical white jackboot ones, but were Hindus or something? I'm intrigued to see where this goes
Wow! Fascist hindu vegan cupcake sellers. I bet their monthly meetings are a right blast!

I'm struggling to imagine what fascist vegan cupcake sellers would look or act like. I bet all their black shirted thuggish mates take the piss big time!
Out of interest, would you be happy if customers at the fayre were made aware of your friends political affiliations before being allowed to trade?

Yeah, totally.

As Jo has pointed out, although veganism is often political it isn't always necessarily so.

Nevertheless, veganism and anarchism are natural bedfellows. Although it is obviously not true that all vegans are anarchists, nor vice versa, there is a definite crossover. Probably because of the fact that often vegans and anarchists are concerned with issues such as animal rights and environmentalism.

Anyway, as I said before, I thought the fascists should be allowed to trade but that people should be made aware of the fact that they're fascists so that all the anti-fascists would know to boycott the fascist cake stall.

I have no evidence to support this assertion but my gut feeling is that there are more anti-fascist vegans than fascist ones!

Not impossible to conceive of far right vegans though, as Jo pointed put, Hitler was a vegetarian.

Last edited:
That is good. Well done.

Re OP, although your proposed course of action is very well intended, unfortunately it would breach anti-discrimination laws.

☹️

When South Africa had apartheid lots of people, including my parents, boycotted South African produce.

Was this a breach of anti-discrimination laws? Or are these laws that you refer to new laws?

I think banning certain groups from trading would be pretty discriminatory, and possibly not legal or moral. But I'm not sure boycotting buying things from certain people ,or groups, or even nations, is against the law. How could it be?

Ha, you think it's funny
Turning rebellion into money

If Adolf Hitler flew in today
They'd send a limousine anyway
I’ve had a few bits from them and it was very good.
I love to support local and I love to support different.

When South Africa had apartheid lots of people, including my parents, boycotted South African produce.

Was this a breach of anti-discrimination laws? Or are these laws that you refer to new laws?

I think banning certain groups from trading would be pretty discriminatory, and possibly not legal or moral. But I'm not sure boycotting buying things from certain people ,or groups, or even nations, is against the law. How could it be?
It can’t be.
It’s individual choice.
There’s a pressure group called something like leave it on the shelf who promote boycotting products from the EU.
I shop local as much is possible.
My missus is even more of a zealot.
She checks everything.