VAR | Page 24 | Vital Football

VAR

I'd prefer a time limit. If they can't overrule the ref within 30 seconds, it's not clear and obvious so carry on.
I'd prefer common sense. It's to be used for "clear and obvious" errors, if the assistant ref didn't flag it and you can't visually see that it is clearly offside, don't change it. No need for lines at all - just makes a mockery of it. The advantage should always go to the attacking side IMHO. We want goals, not disallowed goals :yes:

On another point, I'm actually quite impressed with how often they get stuff right on the pitch. :sorry:

It’s been mentioned a couple of times in the euro 2020 thread, but it has to be said VAR on the continent is much better and slicker than in the premier league.

I also like the way that they aren’t showing it to the viewers in real time, which our game seems to want to appeal to the armchair fans who like the added drama of goals being given then taken away, as though it’s something out of Wimbledon with a close serve.

I don’t like VAR, I feel the technology is still a decade behind being good enough to make decisions as quickly as we need them to be made, however it does seem like it’s applied in a much slicker way which isn’t intended to steal the limelight in Europe.

You have to wonder what the problem is.

Anthony Taylor ref, Stuart Attwell's on VAR and it's working perfectly well (and speedy) in the Portugal b Germany game.

Wouldn't explain the massive delays though.
The massive delays are because they are so frightened some smart arse at Sky will catch them out. It's supposed to be clear and obvious error by the ref not nitpicking shit and trying to find a fault with every goal.
They've just tried it with the Portugal second goal, trying to see if the ball brushed Jota's hair ffs

The massive delays are because they are so frightened some smart arse at Sky will catch them out. It's supposed to be clear and obvious error by the ref not nitpicking shit and trying to find a fault with every goal.
They've just tried it with the Portugal second goal, trying to see if the ball brushed Jota's hair ffs

In the Prem the time problem is purely down to the people who are hidden away officiating VAR wanting their 15 minutes of fame, instead of doing their fucking job.

I don’t see why we can’t get to a stage where the ref has to stipulate what the infringement is and VAR checks that. So take that goal which they checked whether it’s brushed Jota’s hair:

If the ref says “I want you to check whether it’s offside...” that’s all they check. If the ref says “check whether Jota has knocked it on...” that’s all they check. It might be the ref asks for both to be checked and that’s fine, but the on field refs dictate the checks.

That way, you don’t get English refs on VAR looking for minor infringement, which is where the “bigger” clubs get an even more unfair advantage because more goals against are checked and more infringements are usually found.

Last edited:
That would be perfect, just on the basis of take a second look am I right/wrong please mate.

Then purely clear and obvious - VAR says take a second look at the monitor, see if you see what I saw.

Ref can lead VAR, VAR can't lead the ref.

That way woeful or biased referee's have the decisions and reports fall squarely on their heads, so hiding behind Stockley Park for buggering up.

I can't think of a single VAR decision so far in the Euros I can quibble with and everything has seemingly been under 30 seconds absolute tops. It's perfect like this.

To me, if it isn't given by the ref and it's not obvious in 10 seconds of VAR the decision stands. None of this two or three minutes.
They should not use slow mo either, the should see it at the full speed

Not got a problem with var on offsides that's the one thing they get right its these bloody refs backing each other up even when there wrong it makes var pointless.

I have a major problem with offsides in the way they measure them. Like I've said before they don't understand true views to get a true view you need a camera that follows the pitch to take pictures at 90 degrees to the pitch, they don't have them. They also can't determine the exact frame the ball moves forwards.

Not a problem you may say but it is when you give decisions where some shoulder or toe is 10mm offside.

Referees are not the brightest people are they, Mike Dean works in a chicken slaughterhouse, hardly a job you take if you had brains to choose. Little sadistic bar steward probably loves it though

That would be perfect, just on the basis of take a second look am I right/wrong please mate.

Then purely clear and obvious - VAR says take a second look at the monitor, see if you see what I saw.

Ref can lead VAR, VAR can't lead the ref.

That way woeful or biased referee's have the decisions and reports fall squarely on their heads, so hiding behind Stockley Park for buggering up.

I can't think of a single VAR decision so far in the Euros I can quibble with and everything has seemingly been under 30 seconds absolute tops. It's perfect like this.

That's pretty much how it works in Rugby League (and probably Union). You can clearly hear the ref directing the reviewer what he wants checked. It's worked great in that sport for many years and it's quick. Seems like a more sensible approach to me.

Also think the review team are actually at the stadium. Not sure, but perhaps having a remote location increases the delay. Must admit the constant reference to Stockley Park also gets on my tits, like they're cracking the enigma code or something.

Must admit the constant reference to Stockley Park also gets on my tits, like they're cracking the enigma code or something.

They are certainly making it as difficult as possible and we've seen from the Euros how simple a process this can be.

Must admit the constant reference to Stockley Park also gets on my tits, like they're cracking the enigma code or something.
This is precisely the problem. These vain prats were never good enough to play so want a reason to hog the limelight. Peter f**king Walton chiming in with his bollox on TV for God's sake.

Fans are as bad as wanting to see that again and see lines when it's their player called offside. Linesman make mistakes VAR still makes them but causes more controversy than the reff.
Do we even need to know who the ref is who is on VAR, it's become part of the Sky match day "show" now just as all these pundits have.
We have commentators telling us stupid stats,all for those who know feck all about football, telling us what we are watching.
I don't get a commentary at Villa Park , the bloke in front of me does but I don't