VAR | Page 22 | Vital Football

VAR

VAR seems to be being used to stop goals rather than get the basics right. if the lino hadn't been trying to watch for offside he would have noticed the ball curving back into play. Now if VAR had cameras running parallel to 4 lines, they might even get the offside correct. Goal-line tech has only failed once, VAR fails every other game

However much we’d like it to, VAR isn’t going away but getting rid of the incompetent idiot at the top, Mike Riley would be my starting point to possible improvement. One of our big issues is how it’s being implemented and the bloke at the top has to carry the can. From comments I see on social media other ex refs feel the same. They’re being led by a man who ‘leads’ in the same way as he officiated....weak, inconsistent, easily led with poor communication skills....all of which is replicated in the way VAR is being used week in, week out. I can’t ever remember him fronting up and carrying out an interview on mainstream media since VAR was introduced...the bloke’s a joke. Get rid.

I've not looked but do fans in Europe have the same issues as us with VAR or are their officials less pedantic?

However much we’d like it to, VAR isn’t going away .

Sad . And unfortunately true. It’s genuinely killing my love for the game though and I know I will carry on like an idiot but hand on heart im not sure how long I can carry on. It’s just not fun anymore. I don’t watch football to stand around waiting to celebrate.

However much we’d like it to, VAR isn’t going away but getting rid of the incompetent idiot at the top, Mike Riley would be my starting point to possible improvement. One of our big issues is how it’s being implemented and the bloke at the top has to carry the can. From comments I see on social media other ex refs feel the same. They’re being led by a man who ‘leads’ in the same way as he officiated....weak, inconsistent, easily led with poor communication skills....all of which is replicated in the way VAR is being used week in, week out. I can’t ever remember him fronting up and carrying out an interview on mainstream media since VAR was introduced...the bloke’s a joke. Get rid.

If everyone stood up against VAR it would go as quick as it came in Head of FIFA says it's not compulsory to use it. Just means our refs would get the cold shoulder in Europe I expect so they won't have the balls to not use it

Sad . And unfortunately true. It’s genuinely killing my love for the game though and I know I will carry on like an idiot but hand on heart im not sure how long I can carry on. It’s just not fun anymore. I don’t watch football to stand around waiting to celebrate.

I actually don't celebrate until after they have kicked off again and by then the moment has gone. They seem to try and fin a reason to disallow every single goal these days and have little fads, like the stupid handball stuff in the first few games then it goes away after complaints. Latest one is overturning Pens, what will be next shirt pulling , Diving who know but they'll find new fad

That’s what kills if for me MD....the pure joy of celebrating a goal just isn’t there any more, used to be a quick glance at the ref and linesman to make sure all was good then continue to go wild...not any more!

I've not looked but do fans in Europe have the same issues as us with VAR or are their officials less pedantic?

Ive been to games in Europe where VAR has been in use last season and honestly it wasn’t a problem. The one that comes to mind is the Rome derby where the ref ran over to his screen (Bare in mind the stadium has a running track so it’s a bit further) and the whole issue was sorted in no time. Exactly how I’d like it to be here. No outside interference unless called upon.

My mate who lives in Holland said it was causing plenty of controversy over there last season. Their refs have been going to the side of the pitch to review decisions since it started, but the issue has been refs refusing to overturn something and admit they are wrong. The fans over there want the decision to go to someone else (4th officials/ bloke in a studio), basically the opposite of what we were asking for.

It all worked pretty well at the 2018 World Cup, but since then they’ve tried using it too much and for such marginal decisions it takes too long to decide.

For me its taken the entertainment out of the game, not just during but also after. Remember the good old days when we would debate whether it was a goal or a penalty. The banter with the fans of other clubs over disputed decisions. Its all gone. VAR for me has killed the game.

And that other pompous buffoon David Ellary is head of the International Refs board. You couldn't make it up.

And that other pompous buffoon David Ellary is head of the International Refs board. You couldn't make it up.

Didnt realise that. Thought he was put out to pasture years ago! Wasnt he also head of the refs over here before Riley? The bar is really low isn’t it!!

Another marginal VAR decision in Albion game....but as it’s gone against Albion and means Pereira, one of their better players, won’t play against us, it’s a perfectly fair judgement on this occasion....:wahey:

Another marginal VAR decision in Albion game....but as it’s gone against Albion and means Pereira, one of their better players, won’t play against us, it’s a perfectly fair judgement on this occasion....:wahey:
Baggies suffering like us. Their defeat at the Theatre of nightmares was every bit as wrong as last season at Arsenal and Palace and this year against Brighton and West Ham for the Villa.

It was always said that if you didnt notice the referee he had had a good game. Problem with the whole VAR thing is that in referees minds it has made them the stars of the game, and pushed them in the limelight.
The only way we will get rid, or at least make it bearable is, when we are back to full capacity in stadiums to have concerted demonstrations against it.
They have had it all their own way up to now, but that will change.

It was always said that if you didnt notice the referee he had had a good game. Problem with the whole VAR thing is that in referees minds it has made them the stars of the game, and pushed them in the limelight.
The only way we will get rid, or at least make it bearable is, when we are back to full capacity in stadiums to have concerted demonstrations against it.
And now what do they do those refs who have been heavily 'noticed'? They either reward them high profile European games away from these shores, make them the 4'th official or even worse make them the var official. Oh My God

Back in the day if you didn't buy a programme you wouldn't know who the ref was or care to be honest. They were just a bloke with a Whistle.
Sky started this all off analysing every single decision and helped get VAR introduced, now it's just caused more talking points to help pay Carra and Neville.
Now those two want to carry on criticising something they both thought was a great idea.
Sky is to blame not VAR, VAR are a little closed shop of not particularly bright people, Refs are people normally very robotic stat driven types. It's used to be a thankless task, It still is on a Sunday morning . PL refs though are 200k a year super stars and it's gone to their heads