VAR | Page 21 | Vital Football

VAR

Baffles me how something man operated and subjective can be 94% accurate. It wouldn't be so bad if it checked throw-ins and corners for obvious error but they don't, otherwise, the game would take 3 times as long
The problem is that they are patting themselves on the back for giving an offside when a fraction of a player's armpit is off. For as long as they keep giving these decisions most fans will never be for it.
I think they've tried everything and VAR was there to make sure they didn't make mistakes but now VAR is THE mistake because the refs have control of it. One man and a whistle will make mistakes so will VAR so it may as well just be one man and a whistle.

Thats what I was going to say too, its a circle jerk and they've nobody to challenge them.

What VAR has done for me is made me realize that ultimately there are things that are always going to be subjective. The no-nonsense rule about handball shows that hard and fast rules like that just don't work. The prevalence of diving or going down easily makes any marginal contact in the box subjective too. Manipulating the speed of play adds a new level of subjectivity as well.

1607098585655.png

There's no way they will do away with VAR, we need to learn to live with it.
The most obvious change with offsides for me is to stop drawing lines on the pitch. If they cant tell straight away from looking at the camera still, then it isnt a clear and obvious mistake and they should stick with the refs original decision.
Penalty decisions will always be debatable whether you use technology or not - you very rarely get everyone in agreement on them anyway
Yes completely agree it’s not a problem that VAR is making offside calls, it’s the frankly ridiculous microscopic way in which they apply it which simply no football fan enjoys or wants at all. If someone is a half a yard off and gains an advantage then that’s what VAR is for, but I don’t think anyone wanted to change the premise that level is onside or see goals regularly cancelled out for incredibly minor infringements

I think if any part of the body is onside the goal should stand.

It would make the offside law so much simpler.

My only problem with that is you will still have them spending 10 minutes drawing lines across the pitch. What ever part of the body they take the offside point from (daylight between players, front foot, back foot, arm) it can still come down to a decision on millimetres

We can relax. That pompous idiot David Ellary who somehow is head of the International Referees Board (God knows what they actually do) said VAR could take another 10 years to perfect.
Well now you can relax even more as the idiotic Thunderbirds villain who somehow morphed into Fifa president has stated that 'Var is helping football, Var is certainly not damaging football' & 'We have to remember Var was introduced for the first time two years ago, not 20 years ago'.

Jesus Christ.

It’s obvious that it should be the position of your feet, isn’t it? Defenders leaning one way and attackers leaning (or pointing) the other way goes against the age old adage that level is onside and the benefit of any doubt should go to the attacking team.

Football is about raw emotion and goals feed emotion (positive or negative), chalk them off and the game gets more boring. Late equalisers or winners are everything good (and bad) about the game.

Well, it doesnt matter what we the paying public think, because non other than the President of EUFA Infantino, has come out today and issued a statement to the effect that VAR is most certainly not damaging football, and we should all remember that VAR is only two years old.
So there you have it from the top of the tree, it aint going nowhere.., so get used to it.
The above is reported by the BBC.

Last edited:
Well, it doesnt matter what we the paying public think, because non other than the President of EUFA Infantino, has come out today and issued a statement to the effect that VAR is most certainly not damaging football, and we should all remember that VAR is only two years old.
So there you have it from the top of the tree, it aint going nowhere.., so get used to it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55193287

"VAR is not an obligation, it's there to help," said Infantino. "Those who don't want to use it, they are not obliged to use it.

I read it as the Refs don't have to use it or don't have to take the decision of VAR?
I assume the Premier League have to use it if they want to play in Europe?
I genuinely was of the impression that if you play under the FA,EUFA umbrella it was mandatory.
Be very interesting if the Prem decided they were going to drop it, Im guessing big pressure would be brought to bear upon them from the powers that be.

Actually he is somehow Fifa president - see above?

Please , please, please make it stop.

Now VAR have had to check whether the ball had gone out of play on the sideline before Pogba’s goal in Man United game using an angle that has no use whatsoever .

What an utter shambles .

Cricket, Rugby union, rugby league have all introduce technology successfully . Only in football can they have innovative technology and make things worse.

Please make it stop.

Last edited:

Now VAR have had to check that the ball whether the ball had gone out of play on the sideline before Pogba’s goal in Man United game using an angle that has no use whatsoever .

What an utter shambles .

Cricket, Rugby union, rugby league have all introduce technology successfully . Only in football can they have innovative technology and make things worse.

Please make it stop.

It would actually be more useful if it checked corners throw-ins and the like when the ball is in or out etc
Jst prove they are using the wrong views of the pitch, there is no camera running along an lines at all. How they call offsides is beyond me from the TV camera angle

It would actually be more useful if it checked corners throw-ins and the like when the ball is in or out etc
Jst prove they are using the wrong views of the pitch, there is no camera running along an lines at all. How they call offsides is beyond me from the TV camera angle

They can't mate, it's just total bollocks. They can't be precise enough with those lines either.

Now VAR have had to check that the ball whether the ball had gone out of play on the sideline before Pogba’s goal in Man United game using an angle that has no use whatsoever .

What an utter shambles .

Please make it stop.

Really smacked of “we have to look but we don’t really want to”, they threw up a pointless angle for all of 10 seconds then said fuck it. When they can spend several minutes checking millimetres offside but they can’t see a ball was half a yard off the pitch... no doubt if that was against Man U they’d have found a way to check it properly

I don’t know how with all the money in the game and the way they continue to persist with this VAR nonsense there isn’t cameras running along a track either on the ground (On top of the sponsor boards for example) or along the roof following the ball or the last man. You’d have your answer much quicker like the end of a horse race, track and field events or cycling for example.

The Henderson pass, you just gotta let it go. It was a great ball with some serious bend on it. West Ham got very lucky Monday but today they weren’t.

Last edited:
I don’t know how with all the money in the game and the way they continue to persist with this VAR nonsense there isn’t cameras running along a track either on the ground (On top of the sponsor boards for example) or along the roof following the ball or the last man. You’d have your answer much quicker like the end of a horse race, track and field events or cycling for example.

The De Gea pass, you just gotta let it go. It was a great ball with some serious bend on it. West Ham got very lucky Monday but today they weren’t.

This isn’t the point though.
The point is that it was a game changing moment that was referred to VAR and they were not able to review it and make a proper decision . And the problem with using VAR is that there are so many variables that could happen that they couldn’t possibly think of everything to cover these variables . So there is inconsistency in the very thing that is supposed to eradicate inconsistency.

The Pogba goal check tonight was utterly embarrassing because within seconds it’s was clear that the camera angle they had was not going to clear it up so they paid lip service by pretending to review it and surprise surprise the goal stood. Sooner or later a ridiculous VAR decision is going to decide a title or relegation and cost a club millions. It will really kick off then. I suspect you wouldn’t let it go if that decision cost Villa the title. They got away with it because Manure scored another 2 goals.

They can spend 5 mins arsing about with lines on the screen for checking if a players finger nail is offside but they cannot see if a ball has swung out of play. A multi-milllion pound game with global appeal and audience and they are literally making it up as they go along . Utter farce.

First of all - it wasn't a pass from De Gea - he wasn't even on the bench.

Secondly - MOTD 'pundit' [Villa aren't a big club dipper scumbag] said no-one was to blame - to which Lineker instantly replied 'well the Linesman's stood on the line' [old money sadly].

Maybe the 'linesman' thought he was at Wimbledon officiating at a Tennis match.

Effing Farcical. Pathetic.