VAR | Page 4 | Vital Football

VAR

So they can fcuk around with drawing lines on the screen to see whether someone's nasal hair is making them offside but cannot see that Grealish didn't dive .

It's a shambles. Have thought so since it was brought in. Not just after today.

Technology has its place ,
Over the line- yep
Offside - yep
Handball- yep (once they sort what is classed as handball!)
Matters of fact - yep.

Matters of subjective opinion - nope . They have made the game worse.

Last edited:
VAR will never work as long as those incompetent PL refs are making the decision on whether their mate has cocked up. It's obvious who they are going to back.

I have kept quiet about VAR as I thought I was wrong with my opinion while others seemed to think it was working but not now...

As if the game cannot be ruined enough.
They have actually succeeded .

Its making controversial things more controversial :lol:. What an achievement that is .
Its creating controversy instead of reducing it. You couldn't make it up.

Shambolic .

I wish I could walk away from the game I used to love.

Last edited:
VAR didn't come into it today but it seems that it only exists to rule out goals. So what is this game about now?
VAR = Villa Are Robbed.

Having just seen Newcastle's equaliser that, under the new rule, was handball was it not? VAR disagreed....you couldnt make this shit up! It's a shambles.

Having just seen Newcastle's equaliser that, under the new rule, was handball was it not? VAR disagreed....you couldnt make this shit up! It's a shambles.

I agree. A referee fuck-up is one thing. That the VAR people can also see the fuck-up and do nothing about it is another.

There were more than that. Altogether:

(1) The Grealish Incident
(2) Tielemans tackle for which he wasn't even booked
(3) The West Ham penalty
(4) The Newcastle 'goal'.

So that's four incidents where clear and obvious errors were made and went uncorrected. If it's going to operate like this then I just can't see the point of it.

Take a look at the Ashes umpiring recently where obvious errors were made. The two concerned have been dropped from officiating as a result - that is only fair and proper.
What VAR needs now is for the system to include the opportunity for teams to appeal a set number of decisions per game or half via the captain. The time limit like in cricket should apply and this would make the whole situation a much fairer for all concerned. Yesterday, Jack would have appealed and the goal would have been given.
VAR still needs a load of tweaks and just like cricket in the early days of technology, it will take a few years to get it right

VAR still needs a load of tweaks and just like cricket in the early days of technology, it will take a few years to get it right

A few years?.

God help us. If this is how it's going to go for a few years I can see me walking away from the game.

It's a shambles.

If it still needs loads of tweaks then it shouldn't be anywhere near a professional football field.

The billions of pounds at stake in the premier league is not the place to be experimenting.

I hope to god we don't relegated by a single point.

VAR would work if it wasn't run by incompetent refs , how many of our refs went to the last world cup ?. It's like letting the lunatics run the asylum.

VAR would work if it wasn't run by incompetent refs , how many of our refs went to the last world cup ?. It's like letting the lunatics run the asylum.

Sort of agree there mate while we have ref's who think they are celebrities we'll never get anywhere.

As I've always said VAR is fine for offsides, goal-line tech is brilliant. The rest is still a ****** with a whistle

Sky will love VAR as it is yet more controversy to pan out hours of "sports" coverage

As for it working in cricket, does it? it only works if there's an appeal and the opposition reviews it if they have reviews left.
Brilliant for run-outs as the umpires call it up.
Cricket is also the only game you could umpire purely by off-field umpires, they have time to review every ball, never mind every appeal.
Stokes would have gone if it was really working properly

I never thought I would see the day where I would prefer one incompetent buffoon getting it incorrect and be ecstatic to go back to that.

Makes it a million times worse that there are now a room full of them getting it wrong and the system not being fit for purpose.

It's not only the shambolic system and rules it's also the fact that fans now celebrate a goal , then stop celebrating look around at the screens and at the ref who is standing theatrically with his hand to his ear, wait around, then continue to celebrate or get thousands of opposing fans giving unpleasant gestures at you.

This isn't football.

I never thought I would see the day where I would prefer one incompetent buffoon getting it incorrect and be ecstatic to go back to that.

Makes it a million times worse that there are now a room full of them getting it wrong and the system not being fit for purpose.

It's not only the shambolic system and rules it's also the fact that fans now celebrate a goal , then stop celebrating look around at the screens and at the ref who is standing theatrically with his hand to his ear, wait around, then continue to celebrate or get thousands of opposing fans giving unpleasant gestures at you.

This isn't football.

This. And all the time the ref is the centre of attention and loving it.

Yep instead of debating a decision we'll be debating the VAR decision .

Goal line technology brilliant , the rest is subjective to human interpretation or eysight , so may as well stick with the ref

Was I right? and yes I'm a cynical bastard for a reason

The main problem is that the referees are no where near good enough. Terrible referees shouldn’t be able to hind behind VAR (or lack of VAR) whenever they make a ridiculous decision. These refs must go home and love how everyone talks about VAR and not how they personally ruined the match.

If most of the refs decisions were roughly correct and VAR was only used for incidents missed entirely or where it could only be fully picked up by video then it would work fine. Unfortunately the standard of refereeing is so poor it’s like treading on a minefield which decisions should be reviewed or not.

The referees should be held more to account but it will always be a case that PGMOL will always sweep it under the rug to protect their own. Referees should be scrutinised and those below standard or making hideous and match-defining errors should be placed under review and removed from selection

The main problem is that the referees are no where near good enough. Terrible referees shouldn’t be able to hind behind VAR (or lack of VAR) whenever they make a ridiculous decision. These refs must go home and love how everyone talks about VAR and not how they personally ruined the match.

If most of the refs decisions were roughly correct and VAR was only used for incidents missed entirely or where it could only be fully picked up by video then it would work fine. Unfortunately the standard of refereeing is so poor it’s like treading on a minefield which decisions should be reviewed or not.

The referees should be held more to account but it will always be a case that PGMOL will always sweep it under the rug to protect their own. Referees should be scrutinised and those below standard or making hideous and match-defining errors should be placed under review and removed from selection
I dont disagree with you david, but I think its a fact that they just dont have sufficient numbers of refs to cover the games.
And given the fact that none of our refs were selected to officiate at the World Cup Finals would agree with your claim re the quality of the ones that we do have.

Last edited:
I’m still perplexed at how he managed to blow his whistle when it was clearly not in his mouth at the time.