VAR | Vital Football

VAR

Lord Ron Saunders

Vital 1st Team Regular
I don't think anyone has posted about the VAR the we are putting in for the start of the season, the likes of Ashley Young and a few others had better watch themselves. Does anyone know if they will put that spiders web type thing that the cameras run along or something else. Either way the new season should be entertaining. Thoughts anybody?

If the Premier League refs are as bad as their Championship bretheren we will be analysing decisions until Christmas.

Are we talking about the VAR that the premier league will use next season? No idea who will install or administer its use? I expect it will have to be similar at all grounds etc? Interesting.

It's a waste of time as it's subjective , some things will go our way and some won't I guess just the same as it does now,

Personally I hate it especially these stupid hand ball decisions

Offside goals or blatant cheating handballs into the net will be spotted. Issues come when they start checking everything.

Problem is the refs start relying on the video for every decision and are half arsed as they will just check it anyway.

The World Cup was a farce with it, as was some of the champions league decisions.

I don't think anyone has posted about the VCR the we are putting in for the start of the season, the likes of Ashley Young and a few others had better watch themselves. Does anyone know if they will put that spiders web type thing that the cameras run along or something else. Either way the new season should be entertaining. Thoughts anybody?
Yeah Lord Ron, VCR highly outdated and the picture quality degrades rapidly. The 4th official won't be able to see the ball, let.alone the offside after a couple of replays.

Offside goals or blatant cheating handballs into the net will be spotted. Issues come when they start checking everything.

Problem is the refs start relying on the video for every decision and are half arsed as they will just check it anyway.

The World Cup was a farce with it, as was some of the champions league decisions.
I just don't think they have it nailed on just yet. It will become part of the game very quickly, just.like in rugby and cricket. I think it will add to the drama and would have sent Bamford off rather than El Ghazi in that infamous game.

I'm with you that referees don't rely on it. It is important they make an on field decision and ask a simple black and white question.

Reckon VAR will take years to get right.

Once it works it will be great but I think as a sport it will have to take some pain before it improves.

The problem in its essence is two-fold;

If the referee has referred to VAR (in particular the touchline screen) they will have already initiated a line of thought in their mind which will lead to instances of confirmation-bias, whereby the referee is only looking for proof to confirm their suspicions, rather than reviewing the incident objectively

Secondly, it is possible to over analyse incidents, particularly with extreme slow motion and different camera angles etc which can lead to even more ambiguity and/or make incidents look completely different to how they actually were in real time - leading to bizarre decisions. We saw that at the World Cup with hand balls given because in super slow motion it looks deliberate

Also add in issues such as timing for decisions and communications with players and fans

Reckon VAR will take years to get right.

Once it works it will be great but I think as a sport it will have to take some pain before it improves.

The problem in its essence is two-fold;

If the referee has referred to VAR (in particular the touchline screen) they will have already initiated a line of thought in their mind which will lead to instances of confirmation-bias, whereby the referee is only looking for proof to confirm their suspicions, rather than reviewing the incident objectively

Secondly, it is possible to over analyse incidents, particularly with extreme slow motion and different camera angles etc which can lead to even more ambiguity and/or make incidents look completely different to how they actually were in real time - leading to bizarre decisions. We saw that at the World Cup with hand balls given because in super slow motion it looks deliberate

Also add in issues such as timing for decisions and communications with players and fans
Players at that level know what they are doing. Nudges, hands in the right area all to make it look innocent David. They practice these skills to get away with it. We will obviously look at Tyrone's stamping incident differently to McGinn's. I would like to think they were both accidental, but the synic in me thinks there was some intent in both.

And they will still get decisions wrong - hopefully less of the time and hopefully it will dissuade blatant cheating, which we all hate.

I think it's a waste of time. Refs get decisions wrong, it's part of football. To err is human and all that.

Even with VAR they will get decisions wrong but with VAR they will do it more slowly.

It works better in rugby because it's more of a stop start game.

Yep instead of debating a decision we'll be debating the VAR decision .

Goal line technology brilliant , the rest is subjective to human interpretation or eysight , so may as well stick with the ref

Yeah Lord Ron, VCR highly outdated and the picture quality degrades rapidly. The 4th official won't be able to see the ball, let.alone the offside after a couple of replays.

Correct, needs Betamax, although not as popular has a much clearer picture

Some decisions that go to the video assistant referee are to be shown on big screens in Premier League grounds.

Graphics will explain any VAR-related delay to a match, and any overturned decision, from next season. Any video clip which helps explain an overturned decision will be broadcast, and they could potentially be viewed via an app on mobile phones.

Messages on scoreboards and PA announcements will be made at grounds which do not have giant screens.

I presume that means places like Villa Park :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48534031

I rest my case its a fuckin joke

You on about the Nations league match?
Don’t think it was on purpose, but to me it looked like the defender catches his leg slightly before the forward trips over his own feet. Penalty? Don’t know. It doesn’t have to be intentional does it.