VAR | Page 18 | Vital Football

VAR

Just because we won and everyone is happy we can’t forget what happened in the first half with that farce of a decision, there’s has been 3 similar incidents over the last few days (That I can remember), that decision could’ve affected the game massively for us but fortunately it didn’t (Although I get less fantasy points).

Collective action is needed on VAR, it’s ruining football.

Not only was our “offside” utterly pointless and ridiculous, afterwards a Burnley player picked up possession under no pressure and cleared the ball so surely on that basis it’s a different phase of play and therefore it’s not clear and obvious error directly relating to the goal

This is absolute bollocks. Draining the game of everything spontaneous and beautiful. Correct refereeing howlers by all means - but if it takes more than 15 seconds to review with the naked eye then forget it.

If this continues to happen then I’ll genuinely begin to lose interest, it’ll kill the enjoyment of going completely if I don’t know whether I can celebrate or not.

Not only was our “offside” utterly pointless and ridiculous, afterwards a Burnley player picked up possession under no pressure and cleared the ball so surely on that basis it’s a different phase of play and therefore it’s not clear and obvious error directly relating to the goal

I said that . It is not the same phase of play . Complete joke and if they are going to disallow that then the game is ruined.

A Spurs defender jumped to block a cross with his arms in the air and he blocked the cross with his arm. Checked by VAR, no penalty.

Earlier in the season, Mane had a goal disallowed because the ball brushed his hand accidentally.

I don't know what the rules of football are any more. Refs used to make mistakes but now we have game changing mistakes made every game by VAR.

The guy that did our VAR yesterday has never refereed a game in this Country, he came here from the Australian League at start of season.

You could not make this shit up.

The guy that did our VAR yesterday has never refereed a game in this Country, he came here from the Australian League at start of season.

You could not make this shit up.

I don't see that it makes a difference. The things that VAR is looking at are all fairly obvious. The problem is that they all seem to be making up the rules as they go along.

Well he said Wesley was off-side which was a nonsense - the cross from Konsa was in the second phase of play therefore he did not know the rules.

I saw Steve Nicol on some American channel saying that having daylight between the players was a ridiculous suggestion. Isn't that what it was until they changed it this season to accomodate VAR.

I saw Steve Nicol on some American channel saying that having daylight between the players was a ridiculous suggestion. Isn't that what it was until they changed it this season to accomodate VAR.

I think the daylight rule was changed a few years back, fuck knows why as it was the most logical and easiest to officiate surely.

They wanted more goals and now they want to chalk loads off?

If this continues to happen then I’ll genuinely begin to lose interest, it’ll kill the enjoyment of going completely if I don’t know whether I can celebrate or not.

This. Nobody wants to celebrate anymore, there’s a bit of a cheer after it’s given. It’s not the same.

It’s also showed me how good a job the linesman do, yes they do make the odd mistake, but ones I can normally live with. If we’d of lost (or drew) yesterday I wouldn’t of been able to live with that!

I started work at 16 as an appro sheet metal worker and made prototype car body parts from Ist and mainly 3rd angle projection drawings. developing true lengths of parts trust me is a very difficult skill and requires an intelligence the average ref doesn't possess
I don't think these dimwit refs would know about angles and true lengths, they just don't see it.
You can't look at a flat picture like they do and get a true length from it, you also can't get the exact moment the ball travels forward its still guesswork.

In saying that my gut reaction was Wesley was running back there I bet VAR will disallow this and so it proved but the linesman turned out to be right it wasn't clearly offside and I a pretty certain even Burnley fans would agree.
It wasn't even in the same phase of play as the ball had been cleared

I don't know the rules either. Does anyone know the rules any more?
Good point BB, l was a qualified referee but l am in the same boat as everyone else. Wouldn't now be able to explain the laws. What's going on at junior level. Are Sunday morning refs applying the new handball mysteries? VAR (Villa ARE ROBBED) is fine for technical decisions,such as is the ball over the line but cannot understand why the match referee does not make the final decision. On great strength of our game was that the laws of the game applied to the World Cup Final in the same way as to a Sunday Morning game at Billesley Common or Pype Hayes. I found reffing difficult enough but offsides were often guesswork,too quick for the human eye to judge accurately. So,l see the argument for VAR and the counter point of view. I suspect it's here to stay, hopefully it can be improved.