VAR | Page 4 | Vital Football

VAR

If the video refs sitting in a studio wearing their full referee's regalia can't get it right then there's no hope. Stamp it out now! Eid mubarrak sponsored by eBay it seems.

This thread tells you everything about football, TV and VAR.

What a complete and utter shambles, but as someone said above FIFA won't mind. I think it's more because extra controversy, makes extra headlines, makes extra revenue.

Seeing as England games are all overnight here, I doubt I'll watch any more of the World Cup. They have lost me completely.

At least we have the assurance that the French penalty wasn't a blatant error. Equally if it had not been given we would have known it wasn't clear cut either. What I am saying is, we know from VAR that a clear and obvious error hasn't been made! But this would have been the case for either decision, meaning we were outside the grounds for its use in the first place. BUT, it is a classic case of 'catch 22', because until you have checked with VAR, you dont know that a clear and obvious mistake has not been made!

However, in this case, whatever WE think, the referee must have thought a penalty was clear and obvious, or he didn't have the remit to overturn his original decision. But again...what prompted him to look at VAR? As a previous post has said, if this was an assistant, it does put pressure on him to change his mind!

Well the thot plickens

VAR used successfully today to produce a correct decision. The wrong decision would have pretty much changed Swedens world cup campaign.

Last edited:
It was a shame the standard of referring required VAR in the Sweden game.Either the referees are becoming to scared to make big decisions because of VAR or the ref in that game was fucking blind, the commentators called it straight away from as they said , 75 yards away. The standard of some of the referring is questionable to say the least, and the fact there are referees at the world cup from Zambia as an example, yet there are none from the premier league is another masterstroke by FIFA.

I'd prefer VAR and the correct decision personally, just out of fairness if nothing else

It was a shame the standard of referring required VAR in the Sweden game.Either the referees are becoming to scared to make big decisions because of VAR or the ref in that game was fucking blind, the commentators called it straight away from as they said , 75 yards away. The standard of some of the referring is questionable to say the least, and the fact there are referees at the world cup from Zambia as an example, yet there are none from the premier league is another masterstroke by FIFA.

Yes we'd all prefer refs to never make mistakes. The whole point is that it's not possible. Even refs in the premier league make clear errors. This is why VAR is proposed and why its been introduced because refs are not perfect. They do make mistakes.

There's article is the Grauniad today that sums it up quite well I think (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/18/video-assistant-referees-world-cup-). It's not perfect, but a clear improvement on just accepting all the mistakes.

On a slightly related note, I'm in the US at the moment (for work - I don't live here) and watching a few of the games here it really strikes me how behind the times the BBC and ITV are with covering football matches.

On Saturday I was watching France v Australia on the BBC, and the expert analysis consisted of Mark Lawrenson grumbling about anything that took his fancy. Today I was watching Sweden v Korea and Fox Sports had a guy in the commentary team explaining how VAR worked and people who actually knew the laws of the game.

Yes we'd all prefer refs to never make mistakes. The whole point is that it's not possible. Even refs in the premier league make clear errors. This is why VAR is proposed and why its been introduced because refs are not perfect. They do make mistakes.

Are you saying the refs from Zambia and some of the lesser countries are of better quality than the ones from England and are there on merit AK?

It's not about the refs not making mistakes, its about the refs making as few a mistakes as possible and therefore VAR being used as little as possible. By using refs of lesser quality ( and the two games today have shown that ) it brings the likelihood of having to use VAR more, or maybe that's what FIFA want.

It's not perfect, but a clear improvement on just accepting all the mistakes.

Ironically I would argue that any improvement is not ‘clear’ :grinning:

The advantages are obvious but, for me, overall it’s been a huge own goal and negative distraction so far. Exactly why I was against goal line technology - while okay in isolation it was always going to be the first step in technology being overused at the expense of excitement and spontaneity.

I don't think anyone's denying it can sometimes serve to overturn clearly wrong decisions, as it was today. The trouble is that too often it's holding up games in order to take a look at, and potentially overturn, borderline decisions.

Interesting point raised by the Spanish commentators with today's game as well. At what point does the ref decide to stop play and have a look at the video? South Korea had a promising attack going on today when the ref suddenly stopped play. What happens if the ref views the replay and decides not to give the penalty? South Korea have lost their promising attack for nothing. But if the ref allows play to continue until the ball goes out of play, it could potentially go on for another couple of minutes. You can't have play going on for that long and then go back and say "Actually, there was a penalty there 2 minutes ago".

Are you saying the refs from Zambia and some of the lesser countries are of better quality than the ones from England and are there on merit AK?

It's not about the refs not making mistakes, its about the refs making as few a mistakes as possible and therefore VAR being used as little as possible. By using refs of lesser quality ( and the two games today have shown that ) it brings the likelihood of having to use VAR more, or maybe that's what FIFA want.

VAR is clearly in (and fucking with) the minds of the officials. A stain on the game the authorities are trying to make fair at the expense of being beautiful.

VAR and refereeing in general were both f***ed in tonight's England match.
We were told that there would be a clampdown on the penalty box wrestling and that VAR would basically spot any obvious refereeing errors.
Neither of these things happened tonight with two blatant fouls on Kane in the box, with this and the three or four clear chances we missed, we could be celebrating a five or six goal win.

Just before Kane was fouled in the first incident there was a massive push by one of our players (Stones I believe) on one of their players. So VAR would (should) have given the first foul. BBC commentary one-eyed. Agree that we should have had a pen in 2nd half.

I think the last time I enjoyed an England game in a finals match was 22 years ago today v Holland.

I don't think anyone's denying it can sometimes serve to overturn clearly wrong decisions, as it was today. The trouble is that too often it's holding up games in order to take a look at, and potentially overturn, borderline decisions.

Interesting point raised by the Spanish commentators with today's game as well. At what point does the ref decide to stop play and have a look at the video? South Korea had a promising attack going on today when the ref suddenly stopped play. What happens if the ref views the replay and decides not to give the penalty? South Korea have lost their promising attack for nothing. But if the ref allows play to continue until the ball goes out of play, it could potentially go on for another couple of minutes. You can't have play going on for that long and then go back and say "Actually, there was a penalty there 2 minutes ago".

Now there's where we are headed.

Play the whole game, all 95 plus minutes with no distractions.

Then have a few guys, the VAR and the technology watch it all again, pick out the no goals, the probable pens, the maybe offsides and the 3 or 4 red/yellow cards, plus the wrestling and diving. Stick all the info into a supercomputer and let an algorithm come up with the 100% correct way the match should have panned out. Definite result. No ifs, no buts.

3 hours after the full time whistle come the classified results. No, my team didn't lose 1-3, they actually won 4-2. They played well and the 4th wouldv'e been a blinder. Who we got next week?