VAR | Page 3 | Vital Football

VAR

I think the refereeing of this game should be put out for public investigation. We deserve to know exactly what was the agenda was .
There was no foul by Llorente yet they went searching for something. (And ignored a similar "foul" on him )
There was no law breaking by Son , but they invented something . (And ignored the encroachment law )
There was no need to review all the other goals , no need whatsoever , but they did .
There was no need to review Lamela's booking , but they did .

There is something wrong in all this I have never seen a ref under such pressure

80deg16minW - 1/3/2018 14:35

Exactly. It should be upon request by the referee only.

Why they are making it so naffing difficult is beyond me.

Could be that the long breaks will be used for a few more TV adverts, they are softening us up for the process that will begin in earnest at this years World Cup.

Money drives everything in football so the longer the decision making takes the more opportunity there is to cash in on it. :10:

A dominant team can wear a team down, score a good goal, wait 5 mins to have it confirmed and the team under the cosh gets a nice breather to recuperate.

Big Chiv - 2/3/2018 10:38

80deg16minW - 1/3/2018 14:35

Exactly. It should be upon request by the referee only.

Why they are making it so naffing difficult is beyond me.

Could be that the long breaks will be used for a few more TV adverts, they are softening us up for the process that will begin in earnest at this years World Cup.

Money drives everything in football so the longer the decision making takes the more opportunity there is to cash in on it. :10:

That’s quite possible. Although over here they are using pop up ads which obscure part of the screen. But a 10 second full screen sells well.

But these are going to be the killer scenarios which we are bound to see at least once in this summer's WC.

The ball is played through to a striker who looks offside.
The flag goes up , the defenders and goalie virtually stop but the striker rolls the ball in anyway.
VAR proves striker was onside and the goal is good.
Cue absolute pandemonium and team walkoffs from the pitch.

The flag goes up, the defenders, goalie and striker all stop.
VAR proves the striker was miles Onside when the ball was played.
Ditto the scenario above.

Should be fun :11:

Big Chiv - 19/3/2018 19:44

But these are going to be the killer scenarios which we are bound to see at least once in this summer's WC.

The flag goes up , the defenders and goalie virtually stop but the striker rolls the ball in anyway.

I think the WC is going to be a disaster.

80deg16minW - 19/3/2018 20:35

Big Chiv - 19/3/2018 19:44

I think the WC is going to be a disaster.

Russia and VAR.

What could go wrong :3:

Agree with everything you say Chiv. The scenario us are obvious to anyone who a any idea about football . The intensity in the World Cup Is always ramped up , there is history in matches having protests and walk offs . I'm really pleased about it not being used next season. It's a shame it's stilled being trialled in the FA cup because I think it devalues a wonderful competition . I think it devalues football in total . Football has been played for 130 years without it , I cannot see why it is NEEDED now

IT AINT OVER TILL ITS OVER,!'!
In a Bundersliga match on Monday night , Mainz appealed for a handball and penalty late in the first half . Ref said no , and blew for half time. Players left the field ' fans went to the bars,,cafes ,toilets etc, ref consults VAR ,decides it is a penalty ,brings the players out again ,Mainz score and he blows for half time AGAIN. You couldn't.make it up

IT AINT OVER TILL ITS OVER,!'!
In a Bundersliga match on Monday night , Mainz appealed for a handball and penalty late in the first half . Ref said no , and blew for half time. Players left the field ' fans went to the bars,,cafes ,toilets etc, ref consults VAR ,decides it is a penalty ,brings the players out again ,Mainz score and he blows for half time AGAIN. You couldn't.make it up

Joke isn't it Walt ?

This latest unbelievable incident just leaves me gobsmacked. Where will it all end . Does it leave the game open to be restarted after the final whistle , fans out of the stadium , players giving interviews, ref reviewing on VAR ten minutes later, finally coming to a decision and deciding a winning goal in a cup match shouldn't have been given , then bringing players out for 30 minutes extra time.
WOTTALOTTABOLLOX.

Last edited:
So, what did you think of VAR at the World Cup. ?

Set pieces were prevalent and with defenders being penalised for holding on corners and free kicks it could mean set pieces will provide more goals and pens for fouls in the box.

If VAR is introduced into the PL defenders are going to be under the spotlight.

So inventive set pieces could be worth working on. Also having ace delivery merchants.

On the whole it was a positive and reasonably well managed after the group stages.

I still think it was a disaster .
reviewing decisions that were never a blatant handball ( and therefor not a penalty. ) they still got them wrong on several occaisions .
Players were not reprimanded for crowding the ref and demanding a VAR review with the stupid " square shape " two fingered movement . Refs took ages to review incidents that they are expected to make decisions on in milli-seconds in other games .if it's that difficult to come to a decision ,it ain't worth going over time and time again .
The Var reviews on penalties caused the ridiculous amount of time between the incident and the taking of the penalty.
And I just don't get the pundits points that the right decision was made in the end , so Var must be good for the game , when the ref gets so many other decisions wrong during the game . We have to accept these ( wrong decisions ) because they are not reviewable . It's double standards .
There were referees in that tournament that were hopeless . Two of them had official complaints made against them .
Others just ignored blatant ,basic cheating . Disgraceful.
I'm not sure how much help refs should be given to " control a game .
PL he gets 3 assistants .
FA cup he gets 3 assistants and some idiot in a studio .
World Cup he gets 3 assistants and a panel of FIVE ( or was it six! ) goons in a studio .
CL he gets FIVE assistants .
And still they get things wrong and choose to ignore some of the laws of the game or bottle out of actually making the right decisions for the good of the game . Ronaldo BOOKED for elbowing that guy in the face . On a review ! .........Deliberate elbowing is not a cautionable offence , my grandson , six, knows it's a red card .
VAR ,in my opinion , was ridiculous in this World Cup . May have got a couple of things right that any good referee should have got right anyway . It's ridiculous in football in general . If the refs gets it wrong ,so what . Players get things wrong more times than the ref does .
VAR should not be used to compensate for incompetent referees .
That's what needs reviewing

VAR helped the ref on one occasion and that was enough for me. The human interpretation of what they see is the problem. On the whole I thought it helped the refs and jeez do they need it.

Will never agree . The whole game is played by humans with human mistakes ,watched by humans , everyone of them with human interpretations .
Why do we need technology like this to take the humanism out of football . May as well play with robots .
VAR helped the ref one one occasion .......Nick .....really . Only a piss poor ref would need VAR because of his incompetence . The game was being managed by forces outside of his control . There were things going on in that World Cup , you , me or anybody , even professional referees , could agree with , or come up with a reason why a decision was or wasn't given.
If a ref needs VAR to referee a game of football then we might as well pack the whole lot in . Jumpers for goalposts anybody............
Scrap the whole stupid thing and get back to playing the way it should be played. Refs take control ,with no fear,and players take responsibility for their actions . Simple

Will never agree . The whole game is played by humans with human mistakes ,watched by humans , everyone of them with human interpretations .
Why do we need technology like this to take the humanism out of football . May as well play with robots .
VAR helped the ref one one occasion .......Nick .....really . Only a piss poor ref would need VAR because of his incompetence . The game was being managed by forces outside of his control . There were things going on in that World Cup , you , me or anybody , even professional referees , could agree with , or come up with a reason why a decision was or wasn't given.
If a ref needs VAR to referee a game of football then we might as well pack the whole lot in . Jumpers for goalposts anybody............
Scrap the whole stupid thing and get back to playing the way it should be played. Refs take control ,with no fear,and players take responsibility for their actions . Simple

While I agree with your sentiment the reality is that the younger generation is tech-savvy and expect technology to eliminate cheating and doubt. If football is going to attract new younger fans then it has to move forward into the technological world.

While I agree with your sentiment the reality is that the younger generation is tech-savvy and expect technology to eliminate cheating and doubt. If football is going to attract new younger fans then it has to move forward into the technological world.
In my opinion , which obviously doesn't count for anything in the grand scheme of things , .the more help the referees have been given , the poorer they have become .
A good referee can eliminate cheating easily . We all now how to do that . The fact that they don't , or more importantly , WONT , is a slur on the game that permeates down through the ages to the kids playing Saturday morning six a side football. My grandson is six ,and a good footballer . He plays with lads and girls ,all of a similar age and they copy everything they see in the professional game . Everything .
From goal celebrations , going down in the box at the slightest touch , rolling around on the floor ,and not accepting the refs decision . The parents on the sideline condone it and there is one Dad there who actually encourages it by telling his boy to go down and stay down with one arm in the air ,ala Suarez , to emphasise the extent of his injury . And the "referees" do absolutely nothing about it . They are at the wrong end of the scale to influence anything or anybody .
When was the last time a referee took action ,in a top flight game ,against a player that swore at him . .? Not just a fuck or c... It can be any word the ref deems blasphemous ,a religious ref of any denomination can find any number of words blasphemous , but they ignore it it because it's deemed to be a mans game . Well it isn't when kids see their heroes on tv getting away with it . Kids of six very soon become youths of twelve and are very ensconced in the dark arts and lack of respect for the poor sod in the middle .
Referees and the PGMA In particular need to get their act together . They need to stop relying on all this Technological Assistance . It's all a load of bollocks . Do they really need the Assistant Referee to have a button on his flag that sends a signal to alert the ref when someone is offside .
It's the younger generation that need to be taught the fundamentals of the game . They need to be taught how to play the game . There should never ever be a Technological way to play football.
If VAR is the way forward , then the standard of refereeing is going to drop even further and nothing is going to help bring youngsters into the real world of football